PayPal Fees

Hi, I have never sold anything on Ebay before. I was wondering what are the fees for receiving a payment through paypal??

The paypal website says 2.9% + 0.30 cents USD

But ebay's FAQ for selling says "PayPal Personal accounts allow you to accept payments free of charge, except from credit cards."

So which is true???

Login to Me Too
70 REPLIES 70

DebraCPC
Contributor
Contributor

I think most people know the difference between eBay listing fees and PayPal fees.  PayPal is charging "sellers" when a buyer pays for their purchase with a credit card.

Let's not try to explain this away by telling people the charges are eBay listing fees!

Login to Me Too

RAYLEARNED
Contributor
Contributor

Well Debra dear~~ since Ebay owns Paypal~~ I don't see how you can separate the combination of the fees! simply put~~ it costs you 12% to ebay (plus your listing fees on that piece and all the pieces that did not sell) before the 2.9% plus 30 cents on the paypal fees including the shipping money! Would you buy a car that insisted you buy gas from only their gas stations knowing you would only get 6 miles to the gallon doing it through their monopoly?

Login to Me Too

DebraCPC
Contributor
Contributor

Ray, dear....  eBay has listing fees and PayPal has payment processing fees.  Just because eBay owns PayPal doesn't make the fees the same.  It's a double whammy!  It's still two companies ... each charging their own fees.

Login to Me Too

FILINGDISPUTE
Contributor
Contributor

First of all, I am NOT selling anything, nada, zero items. Why do I have to pay anything if nothing is listed, hello? makes no sense. Do y'all understand? Items I'm selling---ZERO.

Login to Me Too

Splendour
New Community Member

I am not happy and I disagree with the amount of "fee" that I was just charged; nearly $20!!!

I shall use another form of collecting payment.

If PayPal thinks they can bully people via a "user agreement" then I'm not gonna play...

Login to Me Too

BourdainGroupie
Contributor
Contributor

:(smileymad:)Splendour---thanks for the rsvp....PayPal is **bleep**ing around with me somethin AWFUL,but I keep thinking it's because I'm New & don't understand yet....Now I know better!!! The more I read the posts,here,the more I realise that I'm paying good money to get **bleep**ED by PayPal!! I opened an account with $100 I can't afford to get ripped-off over,& they took $140 out of my Bank Account!!! Now my bank is short & god-only-knows how long it'll take to get any of my fundage to where it belongs!!!! Who knew PayPal was a freaking SCAM!!!

Splendour wrote:

I am not happy and I disagree with the amount of "fee" that I was just charged; nearly $20!!!

I shall use another form of collecting payment.

If PayPal thinks they can bully people via a "user agreement" then I'm not gonna play...

Login to Me Too

sgtdraino
New Community Member

This is ridiculous. I thought that ebay fees were getting high, but I had no idea that paypal (which is really just part of ebay) is now dipping into the pot as well. How are sellers supposed to make any profit on ebay, if they are getting nickel and dimed out of 15%-20% of the final selling price? Dip in too much, and it's just not possible to make any money on it anymore. Sure, sellers get some great exposure... but it doesn't matter that many customers see your item, if you can no longer make a profit on it. Ebay and paypal are becoming too big of a middle-man, when the "service" they are providing is just a bunch of computers talking back and forth to each other.

I perfectly understand that they should get a cut, but I think the cut they are presently getting is TOO BIG (by a lot), and is concealed from the users by being divided up into multiple different fees charged at different times.

Up until now, I used paypal because I thought it was a secure means of doing business that would not cost me too much if I jumped through the right hoops... then my paypal account got hacked and charged for $2,500+. I managed to shut down my bank account before the transactions hit, so thankfully I am not out that much money... but I had $77 in my paypal account prior to the hacking that I have yet to get back from paypal. Their website was outdated and of no help, I'd routinely wait on hold for 20 minutes before speaking to a human being that generally couldn't provide much info. I was told that I would be kept up-to-date via email during the investigation process and that has not happened either. And now I just learned that paypal is charging me extra fees ON TOP of the ebay fees that did not exist until now. $6 just for paypal, because I sold something to somebody in a foreign country? Not happy, paypal! Again, the fees are not clearly spelled out enough. Otherwise, I would have compensated with the asking price, or simply refused to sell to countries overseas.

Login to Me Too

shopvenus13

I don't see anywhere that ebay is allowing google checkout as a payment option. Why is that? Because just maybe they charge less fees and sellers would switch from paypal to google checkout???? Smiley Surprised Oh yeah, that would mean no more double dipping for ebay and paypal.

Login to Me Too

terrysbears
Contributor
Contributor

I hate to break it to you all but PayPal is not only charging a fee on the sale price and the shipping . . . THEY ARE CHARGING A FEE ON THE FEE YOU WILL BE PAYING EBAY TOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YIKES!

Login to Me Too

BrianT321

[deleted]

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.