PayPal Fees

Hi, I have never sold anything on Ebay before. I was wondering what are the fees for receiving a payment through paypal??

The paypal website says 2.9% + 0.30 cents USD

But ebay's FAQ for selling says "PayPal Personal accounts allow you to accept payments free of charge, except from credit cards."

So which is true???

Login to Me Too
70 REPLIES 70

DebraCPC
Contributor
Contributor

By the way, I didn't use a bad word in my previous post.  The system bleeped a word that started with an "s" which was, if defined, the equivalent of using a srew driver.

The bottom line is this:  Sellers need to have more control over their costs, not less.  What's currently in place supports the buyer, not the seller.

Login to Me Too

sandypurins
Advisor
Advisor

If you disagree with the policy, don't use the service.

The PayPal member's account type is no longer used to determine whether a fee is charged. PayPal fees are now determined by the payment type - a Purchase Payment or a Personal Payment.

For Purchase Payments, the recipient of the payment will always pay the fee. A Purchase Payment involves buying and selling goods or services, and payments received when you send a "request money" using PayPal.

For Personal Payments, the fee, if any, is based on the Payment Method and the location of the sender and recipient.  A Personal Payment involves sending money to and receiving money from friends and family without making a purchase.

If you were previously receiving PayPal payments for goods to your personal PayPal account without paying a fee, I can see how this would be a rather unpleasant development.

Login to Me Too

DebraCPC
Contributor
Contributor

WOW, what a GREAT customer service response. " Don't like it, move on."  Do you have stock in, or receive payment from, PayPay.  I think this is a fair question.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

What happened to sharing ideas / concerns to make the system better?

Login to Me Too

DebraCPC
Contributor
Contributor

Sandy, at this point I'd make a recommend that you not respond further, or that you elevate this discussion to someone better suited to handle it.

Login to Me Too

sandypurins
Advisor
Advisor

@DebraCPC wrote:

Sandy, at this point I'd make a recommend that you not respond further, or that you elevate this discussion to someone better suited to handle it.

I have no ability to elevate the discussion, and so... I will opt to not respond further. I hope you find the solution which you're seeking.

Login to Me Too

DebraCPC
Contributor
Contributor

Good business = listening to your customers!  Adaptability is the key to any successful business.  It's the difference between good and great!  Offering sellers alternatives can only bring positive results for everyone. 

People don't want to hear explanations or excuses.  They are meaningless.  What people want to hear is this:  "Thank you for your feedback.  I will pass this information along to our thinktank for consideration.  Your business is important to us."

Login to Me Too

Amanda411

Hi DebraCPC,

Sandypurins is not a PayPal employee. All employee's posting are identified as such. Sandypurins and many others volunteer their time to answer other community member's questions.

While there is support from PayPal employees, this community is primarily for member's to help each other with their PayPal experiences.

As for your concerns, I appreciate the feedback and will be happy to pass on your concerns.

Amanda

Login to Me Too

DebraCPC
Contributor
Contributor

She was identified as an "advisor" which led me to believe that she was in some way tied to PayPal.  Her responses were scripted which drives me nuts.  And, to be told, "If you don't like it, don't use it...."  Extremely unprofessional.  No one ever benefits without feedback.  No progress is ever made without customer feedback.  We only get better by listening to our customers.

Login to Me Too

FILINGDISPUTE
Contributor
Contributor

I wanna know, if you are not selling any items at the moment, does paypal still charge you any fees? I got 2 invoices for 2 months and I only sold one item in december, but i got an invoice for january for $4.66

What, huh?

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Lilly
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hello FILINGDISPUTE,

Welcome to the boards!

It sounds like the fees you are receiving are eBay listing fees.  Here is a helpful link to learn about the selling fees, and it also explains where you can view a breakdown of your fees. 

eBay Fee Information

Hope this helps! Smiley Happy

Lilly

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.