PayPal Fees

Hi, I have never sold anything on Ebay before. I was wondering what are the fees for receiving a payment through paypal??

The paypal website says 2.9% + 0.30 cents USD

But ebay's FAQ for selling says "PayPal Personal accounts allow you to accept payments free of charge, except from credit cards."

So which is true???

Login to Me Too
70 REPLIES 70

DebraCPC
Contributor
Contributor

You know, no one is expecting PayPal to work for free.  But, sellers should have more control over fees that are attached to a sale.  If a buyer wants to use a credit card, then the seller should be able to choose whether or not to have the buyer pay the additional fees for the "convenience" of using the credit card.  Many retailers charge consumers for this priveledge, while others do not.  But, the point is, the retailer has the choice!!  PayPayl is not giving the "retailer" the choice which is, in my opinion, bogus!

Currentl PayPayl guidelines / rules give the buyer control over who pays the fees.  That's just wrong!!!

With the amount of fees that sellers pay eBay, and then the additional fees paid to PayPal....

Login to Me Too

sandypurins
Advisor
Advisor

Hi DebraCPC,

For purchase payments, the seller always pays the fee. Check the "Fees" section of PayPal's User Agreement for details. PayPal does not charge extra for credit card funded payments... the PayPal fee is the same regardless the funding source.

Sandy

Login to Me Too

DebraCPC
Contributor
Contributor

You are STILL missing the point.  The seller should not ALWAYS be required to pay the fee.  That goes against every retail system out there.

PayPal, in its partnership with eBay, is really missing the boat here!  If sellers had an option to pay this fee or pass it along, it could be used as a great marketing strategy.  Sellers would have an option to either eat the fees or pass them along, and buyers would be made aware of the fees involved.  At least with eBay fees, I have a choice of the options I choose.  I can control some of the costs.  With PayPay, I cant.

What you're doing is forcing me to factor in these costs into my shipping fees.  Oh, but wait, you're charging me for that too because your fees are based on the total amount paid ... not on the sale price of the item.

Shaking my head!

Login to Me Too

DebraCPC
Contributor
Contributor

Oh, and Sandy, one more thing.  PayPal's user guidelines clearly state that there are no fees charged on purchases if someone uses the balance in their PayPal account, or has money taken directly from their bank account.  Fees are charged when debit cards and credit cards are used!

So, the fees ARE based on method of payment.

Login to Me Too

sandypurins
Advisor
Advisor

@DebraCPC wrote:

Oh, and Sandy, one more thing.  PayPal's user guidelines clearly state that there are no fees charged on purchases if someone uses the balance in their PayPal account, or has money taken directly from their bank account.  Fees are charged when debit cards and credit cards are used!

So, the fees ARE based on method of payment.

Hi DebraCPC,

You're referring to the "Personal Payments" section of the PayPal fees policy... that is where the fees are based on the funding source and the location of the sender and recipient.

eBay payments are not Personal Payments. eBay payments are Purchase Payments and the fees are always charged to the seller (recipient) regardless the funding source.

Please go to the "Fees" section of the PayPal User Agreement to read the complete details. Here's the link...

https://cms.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/marketingweb?cmd=_render-content&content_ID=ua/UserAgreement_full&...

Sandy

Login to Me Too

DebraCPC
Contributor
Contributor

Sandy, I have looked at both. 

And, you are STILL missing the point!!!!!  I DON'T CARE ABOUT THE FUNDING SOURCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  What I care about is that PayPal is going against EVERY retail system out there.  PayPal should NEVER, EVER REQUIRE A SELLER TO PAY ALL FEES FOR PAYMENT.  Seller's SHOULD have some control over their costs and PayPal is taking that away from them.

GEEEEZZZZZ ... what is so hard to understand about this.  THE BUYER SHOULD NEVER HAVE CONTROL OVER WHAT A SELLER IS BEING CHARGED!  NEVER!!!!!!!

And, PayPal is not just charging a fee on the sale price.  They are charging a fee on the total amount collected, including shipping costs.  So, if I'm charging for postage, PayPal is collecting a fee on that too. 

THIS IS INSANE!!!

Login to Me Too

sandypurins
Advisor
Advisor

DebraCPC,

Where are you seeing in PayPal's User Agreement that PayPal clearly states that there are no fees charged on purchases if someone uses the balance in their PayPal account, or has money taken directly from their bank account?

As a seller, you have control over fees you are charged to receive payments. It's very simple... don't accept payments using a service which charges fees with which you disagree. Have you checked into accepting payment from some of the other eBay accepted payment methods?

For PayPal purchase payments, the buyer has no control over the fees the seller is charged.

All payment services charge their fee based on the payment amount received... this includes the shipping portion of the payment.

Sandy

Login to Me Too

DebraCPC
Contributor
Contributor

Sandy, once again, I MUST REITERATE.  Regardless of semantics, it's wrong to lock in a seller on purchase fees.  Sellers SHOULD have a say in controlling their fees.  For crying out loud, we're even banned from trying to make up for some of these fees by including them in a "handling" fee. 

By using "bare bones" options on eBay, I recently sold an item for $63.00 and $11.00 came out for eBay and PayPal fees.  WOW.  Not only did PayPal charge me for the item's sale price, but they charged me for shipping as well ... and I didn't make any money on that!!!

The BUYER is the one choosing how much they're willing to pay for an item.  The seller should be able to clearly state in their listing what payment options they will accept, and why!  Is PayPal that ashamed of what they're doing that they have a policy of not allowing a buyer to see what they're charging the seller?

Why you would defend this policy is beyond me.  I'm a business owner and sell on eBay infrequently these days.  But, as a business owner, I can tell you that PayPal has gone astray.  PayPal needs to "incentivise" sellers, not punish them!

Login to Me Too

sandypurins
Advisor
Advisor

DebraCPC, As previously stated, most payment methods charge their fee based on the total payment amount received... this includes the shipping portion of the payment.

If you're unhappy with PayPal fees, check the eBay Accepted Payments Policy for other payment methods which eBay sellers can advertise... here's the link to the policy...

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/accepted-payments-policy.html

After checking all those other payment methods, I think you will find that they all charge the fee to the seller, and... the fee is based on the total payment received, including the shipping portion of the payment.

Sandy

Login to Me Too

DebraCPC
Contributor
Contributor

Sandy,as previously stated,  that won't change the fact that I disagree with the policy.  Sellers are getting **bleep**ed, no matter which way you look at it!

Sugar coat it, fluff it, disguise it ... it's all camouflage.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.