PayPal Fees

Hi, I have never sold anything on Ebay before. I was wondering what are the fees for receiving a payment through paypal??

The paypal website says 2.9% + 0.30 cents USD

But ebay's FAQ for selling says "PayPal Personal accounts allow you to accept payments free of charge, except from credit cards."

So which is true???

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

sandypurins
Advisor
Advisor

The eBay FAQ you quoted is outdated and no longer correct. The PayPal member's account type is no longer used to determine whether a fee is charged. PayPal fees are now determined by the payment type - a Purchase Payment or a Personal Payment.

For Purchase Payments, the recipient of the payment will always pay the fee. A Purchase Payment involves buying and selling goods or services (e.g. eBay items), and payments received when you send a "request money" using PayPal.

For Personal Payments, the fee, if any, is based on the Payment Method and the location of the sender and recipient. A Personal Payment involves sending money to and receiving money from friends and family without making a purchase.

The "Fees" section of PayPal's User Agreement has all the details...

https://cms.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/marketingweb?cmd=_render-content&content_ID=ua/UserAgreement_full&...

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
70 REPLIES 70
Solved

sandypurins
Advisor
Advisor

The eBay FAQ you quoted is outdated and no longer correct. The PayPal member's account type is no longer used to determine whether a fee is charged. PayPal fees are now determined by the payment type - a Purchase Payment or a Personal Payment.

For Purchase Payments, the recipient of the payment will always pay the fee. A Purchase Payment involves buying and selling goods or services (e.g. eBay items), and payments received when you send a "request money" using PayPal.

For Personal Payments, the fee, if any, is based on the Payment Method and the location of the sender and recipient. A Personal Payment involves sending money to and receiving money from friends and family without making a purchase.

The "Fees" section of PayPal's User Agreement has all the details...

https://cms.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/marketingweb?cmd=_render-content&content_ID=ua/UserAgreement_full&...

Login to Me Too

oh okay thank you. yeesh that's alot of fees plus the ebay fees.

Login to Me Too

catherine43
Contributor
Contributor

I recieved a refund from ebay, for 47.76 they sent it to paypal, in order to get my money I had to sign up

for a paypal account, which I really did not want, well I finally got them to start to crdit my bank account, but one problem it is short 6.00 why?

Login to Me Too

sandypurins
Advisor
Advisor

Login to your PayPal account, click on the "History" tab and then click on the "All activity (with balance)" option. This will show your running PayPal account balance (in the right hand column) after each transaction and should make it easier for you to understand how you arrived at the current PayPal account balance.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v635/dulcinea02/advanced07.gif

Login to Me Too

Munir
New Community Member

If i pay for something through paypal with my debit card will i, or will i not be charged a fee?

Login to Me Too

sandypurins
Advisor
Advisor

@Munir wrote:

If i pay for something through paypal with my debit card will i, or will i not be charged a fee?

PayPal does not charge the buyer a fee for sending a purchase payment.

Login to Me Too

DebraCPC
Contributor
Contributor

I just got socked with a fee from PayPal just for allowing a buyer to use their service to pay me.  I had no idea that this policy had been implemented or I would have built extra charges into the shipping. 

This is CRAZY to have these charges, in addition to all of the fees we have to pay eBay.

WOW! 

Login to Me Too

vera_van

I agree with you. I sold an item on ebay and finally received payment thru paypal only to have them charge me an additional fee.  I was not aware that they charged fees now.  I do not agree with this.

Login to Me Too

surplusdealdude
Advisor
Advisor

I was not aware that they charged fees now.  I do not agree with this.

What - you think people work for nothing?

Get real.

All of the fees are spelled out in the User Agreement, which forms the contract of service between you and ebay.

I suggest you read it carefully - Paypal follows it EXACTLY.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.