PayPal Fees

Hi, I have never sold anything on Ebay before. I was wondering what are the fees for receiving a payment through paypal??

The paypal website says 2.9% + 0.30 cents USD

But ebay's FAQ for selling says "PayPal Personal accounts allow you to accept payments free of charge, except from credit cards."

So which is true???

Login to Me Too
70 REPLIES 70

Shari42
Contributor
Contributor

It says payments sent under personal  there will not be a fee for the sender or the recipient if the money comes from your papal account or bank account and I have been charged every time.

Login to Me Too

sophialynch
New Community Member

PayPal holds your money - they make money off the interest too.  I think the fee is steep. I will try not to use them.

Login to Me Too

lesa123
New Community Member

Actually, any store/business that charges you more because you pay with a credit card is in violation of their merchant account with Visa/Mc.  This policy is very clearly stated.  If Visa/Mc were to find out, their account would be suspended.

Do not use the arguement "but others are doing it" to prove that an action is legal or allowed.  It didn't work with your mom and it sure won't work if you ever have to go to court over your decison.

Login to Me Too

jtalvy
New Community Member

"Many retailers charge consumers for this priveledge, while others do not."

That is entirely incorrect... when is the last time you walked into any retail store and they charged you a greater fee for creditcards... The store "pays" for the convenience of using creditcards and not having to deal with cash.

If anything every consumer is paying for creditcard use built directly into the price.

Login to Me Too

Darryl12

I take it you work for paypal? work for FREE?? Are you kidding. They are part of ebay, so by the time you are payed they have already taken at LEAST 9% of your money. They also have designed thier system so that not only are they getting fees on what you sold but they also take from the percentage that goes to ebay. So say you sell an item on ebay for $500. ebay takes 9% ( remember now, ebay abd paypal are the same company) so you are left collecting $450. Does paypal just take thier percentage from the $450? NOOOOO of course not, they take it from all of it even though $50 of it goes to ebay/paypal already. They do that by ebay not taking it stright from the sale but using thier enforcer wing (paypal) to take it from your credit card or bank later. This way ebay/paypal ( remember, same people) get to hit that money from you twice effectively raising thier fees beyond what they are supposedly upfront about. Very underhanded and sneaky way to **bleep** thier users. Any comment on that paypal employee?

Login to Me Too

sophialynch
New Community Member

Steep fees! I didn't know they were charging so much. In addition to ebay fees, that is a lot!  And they make plenty of money off of the interest by holding the money.

Login to Me Too

RAYLEARNED
Contributor
Contributor

WELL~~ HERE'S A LITTLE THOUGHT PROCESS FOR YA ALL! SELL AN ITEM ON EBAY FOR $2.50 PLUS $1.92 SHIPPING. YOU WILL PAY EBAY 30 CENTS (12%) & PAYPAL 43 CENTS~~ AS PAYPAL TAKES 30 CENTS PLUS 2.9% ON DOMESTICS OF THE ENTIRE TRANSFER~~ SHIPPING & ALL!!. THAT MEANS THAT IT JUST COST YOU 73 CENTS IN FEES TO SELL AN ITEM FOR $2.50!  SURE HOPE YOU GOT THOSE $2.50 ITEMS REAL CHEAP BECAUSE THE ENTITIES THAT BE JUST TOOK NEARLY 1/3 RD OF YOUR SALES PRICE!

Login to Me Too

liali4000
New Community Member

I have recently started selling stuff at ebay. 

the money i'm making is very few. 

the postal office is making more money from me using their service than I do selling my stuff in ebay. 

9% percent is away to much Plus paypal fees, which I cannt figure out how many percent they deduct from my sales. !!! 

this is unacceptable. 

I don't advice anyone to use ebay or paypal services. 

I'll stop buying from ebay as well.

Login to Me Too

jabbrow
Contributor
Contributor
i was shocked to realize i needed to pay paypal fees + ebay fees . this is crazy !! for an 80 dollar merchandise sold, ebay fee is 6.00 and paypal fee is 3.00. im losing more than 10% of the profit. not doing this again.
Login to Me Too

DebraCPC
Contributor
Contributor

I hear ya!  I sold something for $63.50 and my eBay fees were over $8.00 and the PayPal fees were about $2.50.  PayPal not only char gedfor the sale price of the item, but charged for the shipping costs as well.  So, almost $11.00 in fees for an item that sold for $63.50.

Seller beware!  We should have more control over PayPal fees like we do the eBay fees.  At least with eBay we get to choose our options.  PayPal doesn't ... they charge the seller, PERIOD!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.