How does Ebay / Paypal handle the empty box scam?

slackercruster
Contributor
Contributor

PO refused to insure 45 silver dollars I was shipping via priority mail. They said it had to go registered mail if I wanted insurance, as the PO wont pay on coin claims any other way than reg mail.

The package was being insured for $1700. I asked if there was a problem insuring smaller dollar coin packages like $100. He said registered mail for coins and insurance over $15 as well as silver coins like 1 oz bullion.

I've heard of scams on eBay where the buyer claims to receive an empty box. Most of the time my insured coin mail is accepted without hassle. But if a claim did arise and the buyer lied that it was empty. How would this be handled?

I'd have an signed insurance sticker and a delivery confirmation for my records. Would eBay / Paypal cover the claim if the PO refused to pay on the claim? Or would i just lose the $$?

Thanks

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

profdata
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

An empty box is considered a SNAD claim.  There is no seller protection for SNAD claims, so you would lose the paypal claim.

Login to Me Too

slackercruster
Contributor
Contributor

What is a SNAD?

And what is the best protection against this scam for the seller?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.