HORRIBLE IDEA TO HOLD FUNDS FOR 21 DAYS!!!

gearhed78
Contributor
Contributor

Holding funds from sellers until the buyer leaves feedback is the worst idea EVER! Since when does Paypal become an authority on buyer satisfaction?? A smooth transaction is all that I wanted from Paypal. If they are going to hold funds, then they should make it very clear BEFORE you use them!  Keeping my money in their account for 21 days is a HUGE disadvantage of using Paypal. Stick to transferring funds,not trying to be a satisfaction authority!

Login to Me Too
6,286 REPLIES 6,286

alwaysali77
New Community Member

Thanks for letting me know about this issue. From what I have read and seen here these people are totally **bleep**ing us and I HOPE they lose everything too!!!!!!!!!!

Login to Me Too

jennste
New Community Member

WORST IDEA EVER. Everything on this board is so true. Who made paypal final authority on buyer satisfaction. I have had several buyers who forgotten to leave feedback or don't. Stick to transferring funds not  satisfaction authority. Most people here are genuine sellers and buyers. Due to the small 1% to 5% the other 95% have to suffer. Most of these fraudulent sellers or buyers are from China, NIgeria and Eastern European countries. So implement more stern actions for those buyers or seller not hurt the other 95%.

They should make this policy clear but they don't. Also imagine the millions of users who use paypal and if each person has about a USD 5 sale that's 5 millions dollars that is in their account. In money markets that earns quite a bit on interest. Now compound that by 365 days a year. The interest alone on a rotating multi million dollar deposit would be huge. If that's the case there should be some government oversight or a consumer protection agency looking into protecting the legit sellers and buyers.

I understand need for security and protection but this extreme is unheard of. I thought the law was your innocent until proven guilty. Per this policy it seems that its a violation of everyones rights. They assume everyone is guilty of fraud till proven innocent by leaving a positive feedback. That's a blatant violation of the rights.

Not only are they in bed with eBay. But if you google ebay or on yahoo finance ebay companies are

Total $7.3B Bill Me Later, 10/08 2 $945M Den Bla Avis, 10/08 3 $380M Gmarket, 9/08 4 Vuvox, 5/08 5 Fraud Sciences, 1/08 6 $169M ViA-Online, 10/07 7 Gumtree, 5/07 8 GittiGidiyor.com, 5/07 9 StumbleUpon, 5/07 10 $75M MicroPlace, 4/07 11 StubHub, 1/07 12 $310M Tradera, 4/06 13 $48.3M Skype, 9/05 14 $1.9B Opusforum.org, 6/05 15 eBay, 6/05 16 Shopping.com, 6/05 17 $620M Loquo, 5/05 18 Kurant, 1/05 19 Rent.com, 12/04 20 $415M Marktplaats.nl, 11/04 21 $290M Baazee, 6/04 22 $50M EachNet, 7/03 23 $150M CARad, 1/03 24 PayPal, 7/02 25 $1.5B iBazar, 2/01 26 $100M Half.com, 6/00 27 $350M

Paypal and Bill Me later are their finance wings they got the money to acquire the rest thru such practices. Then if another company comes up that helps transfer money they limit their access to ebay. There are other reputed brokers that help with credit card and process online transactions smoothly and safely but then you wont be allowed to sell or buy on ebay.

So ebay makes money on listing fees and closing fees and also money on paypal transaction. All in all a seller has to pay about 7 to 10% of revenue to ebay. Considering that margins on most products are only about 10% that's them almost taking all your profits away. Ebay and paypal work together to harm the consumer.  If they are separate companies then how are paypal disputed connected to ebay and vice versa.

They really need to rethink how they treat and value their customers. Bigger companies like Apple, Newegg, and I think even few travel companies use Paypal. Their funds are not on hold till buyer receives items, or till buyers takes his vacation or trip. Paypal would not do that because they can't or they would be sued. Us legit consumers need someone to protect our rights and interests.

When the company was founded ideas were fair, customer service was top notch and clients were valued. They have become too big for their own benefit. I like ebay and paypal and I hope they can check themselves and come back to the goals and principles the companies were founded on.

Login to Me Too

Djten
Contributor
Contributor

I agree with just about everyone else! Yeah, I can understand the restriction for a new seller. But for someone whose been selling on ebay for the last 4 years is a omplete slap in the face! And ever since I had my store on ebay, I started out and maintained a 100% rating until this past summer.

A customer bought a CD burner from my store and he wanted it in a timely fashiom for someone's birthday.  Because of the hold restriction, the transaction was delayed for a day because I had to use my own money to buy and ship the item. I made it known to the customer that I sell products for a company whose warehouse is located in another state, and therefore I do not have direct control over the inventory. And mind you,  even during my early days of selling I maintained good communication with with my customers and I didn't even have to read PayPal's tutorials!

So for about a month I went through a whole back and forth argurment with this customer (whom I believe ewas a little on the eccentric side), because he claimed that the package came late and damaged. Abd no matter how professional I was in handling this person, he still wound up giving me a negetive feedback. And there's something else I don't understand: how could one negetive encounter cause my feedback to dip from 100% to just below 84%? Something's definitely not right! I also made it known to PayPal several times that I do not have direct control of the inventory. And ebay should DEFINITELY have known this since they monitor everything! But it's like they didn't even care!
    And I've been reading WebProNews for almost a year, in some of their articles they're saying that now ebay is struggling to get customes bck. Well DUH!! Go figure!

Login to Me Too

50rudestude
Contributor
Contributor

My sentiments, exactly!  I'm ready to quit paypal too, and maybe even Ebay too, since you can't sell or buy. without using paypal.

Login to Me Too

mondrayuk
Contributor
Contributor

Answer is: www.gunpal.com is your best alternative

Login to Me Too

qute26

someone needs to create another site to get rid of paypal! And it needs to happen fast!

Login to Me Too

saez123

lets not forget they are making money off the interest of all our held funds!

Policy states that if 3 days have passed since tracking says the items were delivered the payment will be released!  This is **bleep**.  My item was deivered 2 weeks ago, ive asked the biyer to leave feedback with no response from the buyer and my funds still have not been released.  This is so stupid!  I understand the logic, but shipping fees should never be held and stick to your policies of 3 days after delivery regardless if feedback is left or not. Buyers have the right not to leave feedback if they don't want to, it is not mandatory.

Login to Me Too

Djten
Contributor
Contributor

saez1123 wrote:

Policy states that if 3 days have passed since tracking says the items were delivered the payment will be released!  This is **bleep**.  My item was deivered 2 weeks ago, ive asked the biyer to leave feedback with no response from the buyer and my funds still have not been released.  This is so stupid!  I understand the logic, but shipping fees should never be held and stick to your policies of 3 days after delivery regardless if feedback is left or not. Buyers have the right not to leave feedback if they don't want to, it is not mandatory.

Now you see why many sellers have left eBay and gone on and found other sites to sell on. absolutely ridiculous!

Login to Me Too

MGMT
Contributor
Contributor

Now you see why many sellers have left eBay and gone on and found other sites to sell on. absolutely ridiculous!

--------------------------------------------------------------

LOL ebay is worldwide, there are no other sites  that compare to the magnitude and depth of people that ebay reaches.  What 'other sites', Alibris or Amazon? lol please

As much as I loathe the hold policy, it's policy. **bleep** it up like I am. Our complaints don't matter in the least to the powers that be. With 100's of millions of accounts, ask yourself in an educated manner, 'do you honestly think they care about a few people complaining'? Because for every held account, for every 100 complaints there are 10,000 of thousands that don't complain, that don't have issues.

Login to Me Too

bjobran
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry MGMT I have to disagree with you. If we all use your logic than to fight back against the bully on the schoolyard is just not logical. There is just so many that run from him..... Remember wolves eat sheep not other wolves.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.