HORRIBLE IDEA TO HOLD FUNDS FOR 21 DAYS!!!

gearhed78
Contributor
Contributor

Holding funds from sellers until the buyer leaves feedback is the worst idea EVER! Since when does Paypal become an authority on buyer satisfaction?? A smooth transaction is all that I wanted from Paypal. If they are going to hold funds, then they should make it very clear BEFORE you use them!  Keeping my money in their account for 21 days is a HUGE disadvantage of using Paypal. Stick to transferring funds,not trying to be a satisfaction authority!

Login to Me Too
6,286 REPLIES 6,286

Raveninred
Contributor
Contributor

@Ag3ntSmyth wrote:

new to the forums here.

but I just received a HELD payment email today.

Just wondering who is to blame for this.. is it the BUYER or is it just PAYPAL messing about.

i told item to this person on ebay, i left them feedback, they left me positive feedback. so why now has the payment been given HELD status.

Thanks

Hi Ag3ntSmyth

Welcome to the boards. It's generally not this hostile, so don't freak out.

The "held" should have been a notice from PayPal; there is a new policy that funds are held for 21 days. If the notice  was not from PayPal but the buyer or someone else, you should call Customer Support at PayPal.

Sign in to your PayPal account, find the "Contact Us" linc and click that. It will generate a WEB PIN and a number for the Customer Service Department. These are only good for 1 hour, so if you can't call right away, repeat the procedure and get a new WEB PIN. Using this will help the CSR recognize you and your account and have more access into what the problem might be, and if there is a problem, may be able to help you out.

I hope this helps.

Raven

Login to Me Too

mummachick
Contributor
Contributor

I would love a viable option to eBay and their total disregard for the mom and pop sellers that made them into the company they are today. With good feedback and 1 negative in 1 year was tossed after 4+ years; I was told I could buy but not sell. I still get invites to list which I consider a  slap in the face. Have tried alternatives: Webstore - no sales. Bonanza 2 sales in 6 months. Other options? Wish we, the 320 pages of disgruntled, could start our own site. Anyone remember Yahoo auctions (which was ultimately closed = bought by guess who --eBay.) One way to take out the competition - BUY THEM.

Login to Me Too

craftyfaith54
Contributor
Contributor

I tried phoning customer service and they told me the same thing as the web sites they were basically no help.

Login to Me Too

7yearseller
Contributor
Contributor

I have contacted some seller friends, and even though they are not large by any means, they are not having their funds held YET.

Did you call Paypal or eBay?

Login to Me Too

Raveninred
Contributor
Contributor

@craftyfaith54 wrote:

I tried phoning customer service and they told me the same thing as the web sites they were basically no help.

craftyfaith54:

What exactly did you call them and ask them for help on? The new 21 day policy? Because if it's standard procedure, you're not going to get a different answer no matter who you call.

If you have a different problem, there may be a different contact number.

Raven

Login to Me Too

craftyfaith54
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you, I understand that,but for seven months they didnot hold funds now they all of a sudden say I do not sell enough,

No prior notification. They make it impossible to grow to meet their quota of sales if they hold funds, But I really do appreciate your kindness in trying to help. I always have 5 star ratings. Thank you God Bless

Login to Me Too

Raveninred
Contributor
Contributor

@craftyfaith54 wrote:

Thank you, I understand that,but for seven months they didnot hold funds now they all of a sudden say I do not sell enough,

No prior notification. They make it impossible to grow to meet their quota of sales if they hold funds, But I really do appreciate your kindness in trying to help. I always have 5 star ratings. Thank you God Bless

AH, I understand a little better. Yes, it was a sudden change, and yes it stinks like sticks. I do agree with you there.

I'm not sure about the "selling enough" thing. Is that an e-Bay thing? I don't think PayPal would penalize you for how many or how few sales you had.

At this point I am convinces that this is a temporary situation and if you can hang on or work with eBay or whomever gave you that notice about sales, that this situatiuon will be remedied and not be a "forever policy". I think PayPal is trying to clear house of some problem accounts, and change up their security practices: they've been under attack by really sophisticated scam artist for a while now and they've been losing money up the wazoo. I think these steps are to try and figure out who is real and who isn't. Or something similar. I've heard/read that the policy may be reviewed in 35 days (or that could've been an e-bay thing) - I don't swear by this, but I it's one of the reasons i think these are just major security steps for the moment.

I understand that it makes the process of doing business more difficult in the short term. And yes, again, it stinks like sticks. I totally agreee, and I feel for you.

I hope there is a way you can ride this out.

Raven

Login to Me Too

Djten
Contributor
Contributor

I completely agree with Raveninred. Believe me, all that jumpin' up and down and doragatory name calling IS NOT going to get PayPal or eBay to change what they've been doing. I've been posting much longer than most of you, and I've followed many links about this topic from previous posters. The only people that put a scare into eBay was Louis Vuittton when they sued eBay a few years back. And also a couple of years back China and India shut PayPal down. You're dealing with big bucks here. Raveninred was exactly right when she said they took out the competition by buying out Yahoo! because eBay is a multibillion dollar corporation. They made their money right at the height of the online shopping craze.  The only way to get at them is for the whole country to shut them down (which I doubt because America was built on free enterprize), or for another giant corporation to challenge them.

Login to Me Too

terese2
Contributor
Contributor

I have heard that one strategy is to withdraw all of your money from Paypal and use another vendor.  Then, mysteriously, your Paypal account comes "under review" and the usurious practice of holding your money for 21 days is lifted.

Might work.  Might not.  But in the meantime, find another way to process payments!  Paypal will recind this policy only if they perceive that it will cost them business.

Login to Me Too

7yearseller
Contributor
Contributor

@terese2 wrote:

I have heard that one strategy is to withdraw all of your money from Paypal and use another vendor.  Then, mysteriously, your Paypal account comes "under review" and the usurious practice of holding your money for 21 days is lifted.

Might work.  Might not.  But in the meantime, find another way to process payments!  Paypal will recind this policy only if they perceive that it will cost them business.

This won't work. Paypal information states they will review in 35 days. With no activity, what is there to review? Nothing, so it stays on hold..whatever is there..if anything. The only thing I could figure out was to sell small items and keep them moving along quickly using the funds Paypal stated we could use for shipping labels only....but with Raven stating that they pulled the shipping label money from her checking, there goes that plan for me. I just can't afford to sell anymore...after 8 years..unless I find another payment source that is not under the eBay/Paypal/whatever/whatever/andother Umbrella..

Also, keep in mind, they would not dare do this to a large corporation because corporations don't need them and will go elsewhere, so they still have their business. It would mean to Paypal and eBay big business condensed into less to have to cover, no small disputes, which probably looks attractive to them. As one person, I hate to deal with disputes. Can you imagine how many they employ to cover all of the eBay disputes alone?? Not taking up for them. Just an observation of why they might be doing this.

Say what you will (talking to the other person who thinks paypal is protecting themselves) eBay/Paypal/and whatever else they can buy is a MONOPOLY on this huge worldwide Internet. Can you believe they did that?? Smarts and GREED, GREED being the key word to me..

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.