HORRIBLE IDEA TO HOLD FUNDS FOR 21 DAYS!!!

gearhed78
Contributor
Contributor

Holding funds from sellers until the buyer leaves feedback is the worst idea EVER! Since when does Paypal become an authority on buyer satisfaction?? A smooth transaction is all that I wanted from Paypal. If they are going to hold funds, then they should make it very clear BEFORE you use them!  Keeping my money in their account for 21 days is a HUGE disadvantage of using Paypal. Stick to transferring funds,not trying to be a satisfaction authority!

Login to Me Too
6,286 REPLIES 6,286

JGL
Contributor
Contributor

How are you able to sell through Ebay accepting onlyUSPS MOs for payment? Ebay specifically prohibits that practice. I tried to change all my listings (several thousands of dollars) and received a message that I must use an electronic funds transfer service.USPS Money Orders, bank checks, personal checks were all specifically prohibited from the listing.

Login to Me Too

KrakrJak
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, you still need to have the box checked to get past eBay in your listing, but in the description simply state that PayPal is no longer accepted, only a MO will be accepted. Make sure as soon as the auction ends to email your buyer and make sure they understand. Tell them that because of PayPal's new 21 day hold policy that you can only accept a MO. It has been working for me.

Login to Me Too

pikachoo
Contributor
Contributor

@KrakrJak wrote:

Yes, you still need to have the box checked to get past eBay in your listing, but in the description simply state that PayPal is no longer accepted, only a MO will be accepted. Make sure as soon as the auction ends to email your buyer and make sure they understand. Tell them that because of PayPal's new 21 day hold policy that you can only accept a MO. It has been working for me.

For most categories, sellers can't ask buyers to: Send cash through the mail, Send cash or money orders through instant, point-to-point cash transfer services (that are not banks) such as Western Union or MoneyGram Mail checks or money orders (except for items in categories specifically permitted below) Pay through bank-to-bank transfers (except for items in categories specifically permitted below) Pay by "topping off" a seller's prepaid credit or debit card Pay using online or other payment methods not specifically permitted in this policy. Only categories in ebay motors, business & industrial, real estate, & everything else Adult only can a MO be asked for or offerd as a form of payment. 

Login to Me Too

pikachoo
Contributor
Contributor

@KrakrJak wrote:

Two wrongs don't make it right. I'm not taking up for paypal or ebay. But, and I mean BUT, this is only temporary and until ebay discovers your listings...then what? You'll be suspended and then you won't be able to sell at all on ebay. I'm glad you've gotten away with this long.....you're obviously lucky or possibly have some ebay guardian angel connections but be WARNED it will not last.

Login to Me Too

fjp800
Contributor
Contributor

@pikachoo wrote:

@KrakrJak wrote:

Two wrongs don't make it right. I'm not taking up for paypal or ebay. But, and I mean BUT, this is only temporary and until ebay discovers your listings...then what? You'll be suspended and then you won't be able to sell at all on ebay. I'm glad you've gotten away with this long.....you're obviously lucky or possibly have some ebay guardian angel connections but be WARNED it will not last.

I totally agree... Eventually e-bay will get wise and throw you out of their program... You would be better off taking a different form of payment other than PayPal

Login to Me Too

JGL
Contributor
Contributor

I just sold an item on Ebay for $1,750. The shipping charges are over $200. Now I find out that Paypal will not release $1 to me for 21 days until the item is shipped and the buyer has reported complete satisfaction. There is no way I can afford the shipping or the Ebay Final Value Fees. No where was this poicy made clear. I have had an account with Paypal for five years. So, I guess I have to contact the buyer and tell him the sale is off and Paypal will refund his money.

This policy is not working for me. I have other items listed on Ebay, all over $1,000 with costly shipping. I guess I have to revise the listing to eliminate Paypal as the payment method.

Login to Me Too

y72657
New Community Member

You can not lift a hold, paypal with hold the money as long as they wish, and us it to pad their pockets on investments with your money, consider the money gone unless you get feedback, and sell by cash or money order, add extra charge on shipping for handeling to recover your loss.

Login to Me Too

surplusdealdude
Advisor
Advisor

First, do you see the money in your account with a "pending" comment in the same line?

If not, you were scammed.

If you do, call Paypal and ask them to lift the hold - their number comes up when you click on the 'contact us' button in your account.

Login to Me Too

JGL
Contributor
Contributor

I was just caught up in the 21 day hold as I posted a couple of days ago. There is $1,850 at stake here which i desperately need. I am sick and cannot work and have bills to pay. I was told on the phone by a Paypal rep that once I can show proof of delivery, they will release the funds.

I plan on selling many more items on Ebay and would like to use Paypal. So, I am trying to work with the system to improve the way it works. Paypal claims they are trying to protect buyer's by releasing funds only upon delivery. The notion of the buyer having to post a positive feedback on Ebay before the money is released is a problem. I do not know what nits the buyer will pick. The item is what is says in the listing, it works. Having to wait for buyer feedback is unreasonable.

Then there is Ebay's final value fee. I am sure they will want that before I get paid. So, I have $200 in shipping and $120 in Ebay Fees and no money. This is preposterous.

Now, I can undertand requiring delivery of goods sold before releasing funds when the seller on Ebay is an occassional seller as opposed to an on-line store with a long track record. Looking at this from both sides. However, Paypal should release the shipping fees to the seller for items that are expensive to ship. They could set up a payment system with USPS, UPS, FedEx and release shipping fees directly to the carriers. Ebay needs to suspend the Final Value Fee until the seller is paid. If my funds are held up in lengthy dispute intitated by the buyer, why should Ebay be paid the FInal Value Fee? Ipso Facto, the item is not worth what it sold for, so how can Ebay expect to be paid a fee based on "value" before there is an actual settlement?

Why is it that Ebay does not permit payment via USPS Money Order, bank check, personal check or any method outside of electronic payment systems? Years ago I bought items on Ebay and paid by personal check. The seller shipped the goods once the check cleared. What is wrong with that? I guess Ebay's greed in forcing us into Paypal to increase their consolidated fee income was the reason. Is there any other explanation?

The Ebay/Paypal system needs refining and I wish them luck in working it out.I want to continue working with them but I am not sure they can be trusted. There is something else going on here- bank float on monies held.

Login to Me Too

JGL
Contributor
Contributor

I tried to get information on the alternative electronic payments systems that Ebay allows. Propay seems for merchants only and not occassional ebay sellers.

Paymate was very strange. I accessed their website and when I clicked to change a page, I received the message "Unable to Connect to Server". I tried 11 more times- same message. I went through Dogpile, same messge.I even went through Ebay's link- same message. Something wrong there.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.