HORRIBLE IDEA TO HOLD FUNDS FOR 21 DAYS!!!

gearhed78
Contributor
Contributor

Holding funds from sellers until the buyer leaves feedback is the worst idea EVER! Since when does Paypal become an authority on buyer satisfaction?? A smooth transaction is all that I wanted from Paypal. If they are going to hold funds, then they should make it very clear BEFORE you use them!  Keeping my money in their account for 21 days is a HUGE disadvantage of using Paypal. Stick to transferring funds,not trying to be a satisfaction authority!

Login to Me Too
6,286 REPLIES 6,286

luvstampin
Contributor
Contributor

If you do not ship within 7 days you will lose all seller protection.

Also the buyer can file a dispute and they will win and Paypal will refund them and you will get a strike against you.

So you decide if you want to hold the payment as this not how it works.

Personally if I have a seller that would hold shipping my item for that long I will file an INR also.

All sellers must have shipping funds to ship the item incase the payment goes on a hold.

This is sellers responsibility so do not punish your buyer or your selling will be short lived.

Your money will be held until you do one of the following -

get postive feedback from the buyer AFTER buyer receives item

get Delivery Confirmation and it will be released 3 days after online shows delivered

wait 21 days

PLEASE go read the Paypal agreenet as its all int here.

Login to Me Too

sandypurins
Advisor
Advisor

The following text is from the eBay FAQ page...

34. What should I do if a payment is subject to an eBay item hold?

PayPal will release the hold when the earliest of the following occurs:

• the buyer leaves positive feedback
  • 3 days after confirmed item delivery*
  • 21 days without a dispute, claim, chargeback or reversal filed on that transaction.

Once the buyer has paid for the item, ship it. Funds are released as soon as a buyer leaves positive feedback. The faster you get their purchase to the buyer, the faster they can leave you feedback.

*Funds are also released within 3 days of confirmed item delivery. PayPal can confirm delivery. PayPal will confirm delivery if you use USPS, UPS, or FedEx to ship the item and (i) use PayPal shipping labels, or (ii) upload tracking information to PayPal via the transaction details page. This applies to US domestic transactions only. So fast shipping helps you here too.

Go here...

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=xpt/Marketing/securitycenter/sell/SaferPayments-outside

and here...

http://pages.ebay.com/sell/update08/rewardsfaq/index.html#27

to read more about the policy.

Login to Me Too

sangredevida
New Community Member

I need my money; forget doing business with ebay & paypal. They've got $500 of my money of which they hit me for almost $20 in fees and then i can't touch it for three weeks? That **bleep**; i'll take my chances on craigslist...

Login to Me Too

boardmaker

So paypay lifted the holds on my account after I had 100% positive feedback, now the money holds are back on!

I still have 100% positive feed back, I just started my business and I make custom kiteboards, so the is no real product until I get that money and start to buy the materials and make it.   Is there any other way around this? Im going to have to cancel every order when someone bids on these boards and have them send me money through google checkout. ebay and paypal will lose money. and I will lose time, and then very soon I will lose my account because they wont let this happen to many times.

HELP!

Login to Me Too

profdata
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

You don't need 100% feedback, you need at least a feedback of 100. Also certin fraud catagories will always have holds.

You need to read up on the Ebay user agreement acceptiable payments section. 

Google checkout is not allowed.

Start refunding your buyers because of the holds, and you will probably getting some negs and you DSR's dinged, and will be suspended from ebay.

If your buyers turn you in for billing them through GC, you may also be suspended.

Login to Me Too

femsol
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

@profdata wrote:

You don't need 100% feedback, you need at least a feedback of 100. Also certin fraud catagories will always have holds.

You need to read up on the Ebay user agreement acceptiable payments section. 

Google checkout is not allowed.

Start refunding your buyers because of the holds, and you will probably getting some negs and you DSR's dinged, and will be suspended from ebay.

If your buyers turn you in for billing them through GC, you may also be suspended.

Per eBay's user agreement these are acceptable payments for purchases on eBay and no Google checkout.com is not one of them but I am using them just fine on alternative auction sites.

Accepted Payments Policy

Our Accepted Payments policy helps ensure that buyers and sellers on eBay are offered safe, convenient payment options.

For most categories, sellers need to offer one or more of the following electronic payment choices:

• PayPal

• ProPay

• Moneybookers

• Paymate

• Credit card or debit card processed through the seller's Internet merchant account

Additionally, payment upon pickup and Bill Me Later are valid payment methods as well.

Login to Me Too

femsol
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Well here is another non surprise!  It appears :

"eBay Germany is being investigated by competition authorities concerned that its tying of PayPal to certain eBay purchases is in breach of consumer law."

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/02/26/ebay_Germany_probe/

Germany now joins the company of India and Japan as countries that have either suspended PayPal from doing business for failing to comply with their monetary policies or are investigating their practices.  At least the international countries are being proactive but what does that say for the US?

Peyplame, Ignore surplusdealdude.  He likes to stop by and stir things up with the statistics and rhetoric he pulls out of his A**. He will quote you chapter and verse from the user agreement and also tell you that "millions" yes "millions" of sellers ship without being paid first.  This is true for FOB commerce where large companies do ship under an agreement but I know of no retailers that as you said would let you go into their stores or website's, order, take the item and not pay for 21 days--not only that many of us are individual sellers and fronting the shipping costs at times is unexpected.  Note though that PayPal immediately takes their processing fees. The Dude will not support any of his allegations with factual data so until he does I just ignore him.  I think that is pretty much how most people view him.  In his opinion nothing can be done to hurt eBay but he is so wrong.  If not for owning PayPal their stock would be dropping considerable--actually it is as Amazon and Craig's list are outperforming eBay.  First quarter earnings report for eBay is due out next week.  Watch for more holds between now and then as PayPal needs to prop up eBay.

You might want to check out letssuepaypal.com which lists the Chicago law firm name and contact information as they are preparing a class action suit on behalf of the sellers and despite anyone elses opinion I have added my voice.

I have also moved on to Amazon.com and Craig's List and  posting to another auction site that people seem to like-would suggest people do the same.  You can still offer PayPal on these auction sites and your funds will not be held--imagine that. You might also want to sign up for googlecheckout.com. When you do they tell you right up front in no uncertain terms that for the first 60 days your funds will be held for I believe 8-12 days and after 60 days if you are in good standing and no complaints they lift the hold for good. Plain and Simple and makes sense.

Good luck all.

Login to Me Too

mrs5pennies
Contributor
Contributor

femsol,

femsol,

I tried the link you provided, but I kept getting an error, so I went into The Register Website.  I typed in Ebay Germany and found this.  Ebay is a real joke.  Now that Germany has gotten on the bandwagon, the USA really looks like a joke, doesn't it?  The US people seem to have no one in their corner and we have to fight for OUR rights!

eBay Germany faces PayPal probe

Ich nichten lichten

Free whitepaper – Out-of-box comparison between Dell, HP, and IBM blade servers

eBay Germany is being investigated by competition authorities concerned that its tying of PayPal to certain eBay purchases is in breach of consumer law.

eBay.de recently asked sellers with low feedback points to offer PayPal. The company justified the move because it said the number of bad buying experiences is twice as high from sellers with less than 50 feedback points than the average.

But the German Federal Cartel Office is investigating complaints made against eBay over this tying policy.

The FCO said it had yet to launch a full investigation but was looking into the complaints. The regulator noted that the rule change meant sellers were charged an extra 1.9 per cent on sales made.

eBay said: "We are in contact with the FCO regarding their notification to look into the new level of protection which we are introducing to our marketplace for our buyers. We appreciate the opportunity to get into further dialogue with the FCO around the initiative.

"We are convinced that asking sellers with few feedback points to offer PayPal as one payment option on eBay alongside further payment methods is to the benefit of both our buyers and sellers and legally completely unobjectionable."

eBay has already got into trouble in Australia where it tried to force almost all transactions to go through PayPal. Users were unimpressed, as were Ozzie consumer protection groups, and eBay performed a swift U-turn. Similar moves in the US also went down badly. ®

Login to Me Too

temp20181128x
Contributor
Contributor

I have to agree with all of you.. I already shipped a $700 insured product to Minnesota. I asked Paypal when I would get the pending funds, and they replied 3 days after it's been received by the buyer (I provided the tracking number). It's been 6 days now since it's been shipped, and I kind of need the money.

Sigh. Has anyone's inquiries been answered when they filed a complaint? I just sent one in yesterday.

Login to Me Too

femsol
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

@mrs5pennies wrote:

femsol,

femsol,

I tried the link you provided, but I kept getting an error, so I went into The Register Website.  I typed in Ebay Germany and found this.  Ebay is a real joke.  Now that Germany has gotten on the bandwagon, the USA really looks like a joke, doesn't it?  The US people seem to have no one in their corner and we have to fight for OUR rights!

__________________________________________________________________________________

Thank you for posting this again mrs5pennies.  Many times if I am posting a link I receive and error message that it could not be posting because of invalid character-so PayPal just changes the link to post.

I think most American eBayers are missing the significance of these other countries stepping in to stop eBay's unfair business practices in their attempts to circumvent the banking system.  India may be one thing but messing with Japan and Germany is quite another matter.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.