HORRIBLE IDEA TO HOLD FUNDS FOR 21 DAYS!!!

gearhed78
Contributor
Contributor

Holding funds from sellers until the buyer leaves feedback is the worst idea EVER! Since when does Paypal become an authority on buyer satisfaction?? A smooth transaction is all that I wanted from Paypal. If they are going to hold funds, then they should make it very clear BEFORE you use them!  Keeping my money in their account for 21 days is a HUGE disadvantage of using Paypal. Stick to transferring funds,not trying to be a satisfaction authority!

Login to Me Too
6,286 REPLIES 6,286

ILoveMoringa
Contributor
Contributor

@mejemojo wrote:

i agree, it happened to me too. now a lady is waiting on me to ship my item so she can have before christmas, but im waiting on my money. what do i do to speed up process of getting my money?

CALL PAYPAL. Stay on the line until you get a supervisor.

Ask them how much interest they are paying you on your money.

Let them know that there are thousands of disgruntled ebayers, and you are another.

Advise them that you are going to contact the local state authorities.

This has helped many other people get their funds released.

Login to Me Too

pita

Thank you for posting this and its funny, I just signed up for the community just to post the same information.  I am currently checking into the legality of holding onto money as paypal is.  Normally, this would not be an issue because it would fall under escrow type situation. However, Paypal has certain aspects of it that make it more like a bank. As such, they are exposed to a lot of state and federal laws. Hijacking money is not something either authority looks very favorably on.

My major problem here is I have been with paypal almost since they have opened.  I have had zero issues on my account and they have access to my information as well as banking details.  There is NO reason for me to be subjected to this because I am about as verified as someone can get.  New accounts? Accounts with issues? Fine, maybe but even then 21 days is insane.  There are costs involved in doing transactions and those costs go up over time (example, interest on a credit card used to ship, pay fees, or buy units) and 21 days  virtually guarantees interest charges.

Anyway, so what are the alternatives here?

1) Be heard: Oh yes Paypalers, RAISE **bleep** ON THIS.  Every transaction be on the phone with these people demanding your money. Tie up their system, drive up their customer service costs, be a pain in the bum.  Keep in mind, I think 21 days is reasonable for accounts that have had issues.  5 days for new accounts without issues. However for vetted accounts with a zero issue track record over time? This is simply unacceptable.  BE HEARD.

2) If you have the option, set your auctions, sales, etc up with a disclaimer that all shipping will not take place until 3 to 4 weeks depending how comfortable you are with waiting for Paypal to clear your money.  Put a nice note as to why this is necessary and a link to paypal's customer service emails and contact numbers for the buyers to complain to.

3) Paypal alternatives.  Honestly, between the dual costs of paying ebay fees and paypal fees (which have gone up) I am getting a bit tired of paypal and their nonsense.  I have stuck with them because of the credibility but its getting to a point that the alternatives are looking more and more attractive.  I have opened several accounts already and am prepping to shift my model around to accommodate them if for no other reason then to protest this pending move by paypal.  I hope Paypal comes up with something more reasonable but I suspect they are suffering from "too big for their britches" syndrome.  Kind of like Netflix.  Hope they can see how well that turned out for netflix and make some actually intelligent decisions rather then greed.

Oh and dont mistake it, maybe this is in part protection of buyers but if you think this is any less about the MASSIVE amount of money they will generate on interest paid to them for moneys held in their bank accounts for this period, you are sadly mistaken.  Think about it.  How much money total is Paypal holding onto for this pending? Millions? Tens of millions? Hundreds of millions? Figure out the interest for a day on 1 million dollars and you tell me a company wont develop a bogus "protection" policy to open that revenue stream.

Login to Me Too

ILoveMoringa
Contributor
Contributor
My major problem here is I have been with paypal almost since they have opened.  I have had zero issues on my account and they have access to my information as well as banking details.  There is NO reason for me to be subjected to this because I am about as verified as someone can get.  New accounts? Accounts with issues? Fine, maybe but even then 21 days is insane.  There are costs involved in doing transactions and those costs go up over time (example, interest on a credit card used to ship, pay fees, or buy units) and 21 days  virtually guarantees interest charges.

Pita, you are correct - 100%! Let us not forget that Bank of America came out recently with their nonsensical $5 per month on your debit card charge, and the voice of Americans made them reverse that decision. There is power in numbers, and for everyone posting here, there are probably 100 people who do not know what to do!

Spread the word, call anyone who governs financial institutions for your state, and get your money released!

With over 45 years of selling experience under my belt, I have never seen anything to equal this one. PayPal is devastating a lot of their loyal, honest sellers - with restrictions that are unbearable, and at the risk of being redundant - unconscionable!

PAYPAL - WHERE ARE YOU?

Login to Me Too

mejemojo
Contributor
Contributor

I WILL NEVER SELL ON EBAY AGAIN!!!!

Login to Me Too

whyte66angels
Contributor
Contributor

Wow I am so happy I am seeing "Occupied Wallstreet" in Paypal. Join the Revolution & say No to 21 day funds holding/180 day holding & No to the wronging to all the loyal sellers that MADE ebay. Ebay has lost total respect of all Americans who has been demoralized by its new rules & the DSR! I found a place where I can hold my head up high. When I listed in ebay I could only afford to list roughly 20 auctions a week. Now in ebids.net I can list as many as I want. Which is about 160 listings. I pay a 2% final value fee at the end of the auction. I paid 49.99 1 time LIFE time fee. with that I get 5 stores free, 5 pictures per listing free, listing fee free and hey guess what No Shipping fee. Here you can give the customer a great deal because there are no fee's. If you the seller wants to upgrade your listings you can a whole lot cheaper the ebay. You can still use paypal. Paypal isnt the one doing the hold of funds Ebay is. You can try to fight it but they do have a whole bleep of lawers to make them selves right. But until you get contacted  about a lawsuit the immediate solution to this wrong doing is Step-up & Join the Revolution & close your ebay seller accounts & leave! Join us atyou wont be sorry! Ebid is growing & with this growing auction site WE as sellers & buyers can make this place our success! Ebid has a super forum so if you need help with anything they are there. Also join Google merchant its like paypal and is too growing.

Login to Me Too

jskess003
Contributor
Contributor

I have been following this topic for a few months now, and have seen hundreds of these posts. Unfortunately ebay owns Paypal, and unless Paypal customers actually do something about this hold policy it is not going to change. This policy is meant to make sure buyers get what they paid for. This policy is bias to the seller. Any buyer can easily say that the item they received what not what they expected, or that the item was damaged. They can say whatever they want to get out of paying for the items they bought. Who is Paypal to make the judgement that sellers are unscrupulous and buyers aren't. It's total crap. They simply want to use sellers money for as long as they can. I know nothing about organizing something to make Paypal drop this ridiculous policy, be something has to be done about this. I can't understand how a company can only give one option for payment in the first place. If anyone has any idea how to stop this, please post options.

Login to Me Too

Newestscam
Contributor
Contributor

I've experienced three $35 overdraft fees in my bank account due to paypal holding my funds paid by the buyer. I've had to cover the shipping fees out of my own pocket. A buyer pays $200 for an item and I have a ZERO paypal balance? Why is PP holding the buyers shipping fees? This is just WRONG! I am so glad there is a lawsuit against PP. I will never use you or Ebay again! 

I agree with the forum post who said to let all buyers know that you can't ship for 3 or 4 weeks until PP releases your money!

We are banding together to fight this, and you can't get away with holding our money for 21 to 180 days and gaining interest on it without paying us. You function more like a bank and are thus subject to financial regulations. Just read the lawsuit, it's enlightening. PP is being sued for SIX infractions, including:

1. BREACH OF CONTRACT

2. BREACH OF FIDUCIARY DUTY

3. ACCOUNTING

4. VIOLATION OF CALIFORNIA CONSUMER LEGAL REMEDY ACT

5.  VIOLATION OF CALIFORNIA UNFAIR COMPETITION LAW

6. UNJUST ENRICHMENT

As I figure it you already owe me $105 in bank overdraft charges and interest on all the money you've held. 

Login to Me Too

ruffpatchmusic
Contributor
Contributor
I called two weeks ago when I met the requirements for my funds to no longer be held. the paypal assistant released all of my funds and told me she would have it taken  care of.
Three days later I got an e-mail that my funds would be held 21 days until furthur notice.I have called and e-mailed only to be puton hold for 35 minutes, hung up on and ignored.
When I e-mail the reply says to send as much info as I can. When I do, it is an automated mailbox.
I pay for this service? Never a complaint.
why are my funds being held all of a sudden? I meet all of the requirements that your policy states for my funds to be released:

What can I do to avoid payment holds?

Here are some things you can do:
  1. If you sell on eBay, improve your Detailed Seller Ratings ( DSRs )scores
  2. Avoid buyer disputes, claims, and chargebacks
  3. If you have a buyer dispute, resolve it quickly
  4. Process your orders right away and ship quickly using a service that provides tracking and delivery confirmation
  5. Upload or save tracking information or Delivery Confirmation numbers
  6. Communicate early and often with your buyers
  7. Make sure you confirm the address and phone numbers associated with your PayPal account, and keep them up to date
  8. Verify your account and keep your financial information (like bank account and credit card numbers and expiration) up to date
Here is my seller dashboard from E-bay:
View Activity in: 

Sales to date:$3,223.50

Transactions:28

First eBay Sale:10/18/2008
I have e-mailed several times and called several times only to be put on hold or hung up on. All I am asking is that you do what your policy says.
Login to Me Too

drleeky
Contributor
Contributor

received an email today stating that my funds will be "held" for 21 days, no real reason given just BS about maybe this or that. I guess my 100% positive feedback isn't good enough for them, feedback about how I promptly communicate with buyers, promptly send items, you know all that bad stuff doesn't matter. I've been a customer for YEARS, never NEVER had a problem. of course we can't talk to a human just the computer jerk around WHATS THE COMPUTER GOD SAY ? WELL I SHOULD TRY BETTER COMMUNICATION, MAKE THINGS MORE CLEAR. More like times are slow & PP wants to use the $ interest free for 3 weeks, can't think of another reason. AFTER THEIR BS WITH WIKILEAKS I WAS ON THE FENCE, NOW I GUESS WHEN MY CURRENT AUCTIONS ARE DONE  I WILL BE ALSO

Login to Me Too

tjdayney
New Community Member

I agree, PayPal **bleep**.  If there was another way to sell and get paid from eBay I would use it.  I sold an item, was paid, shipped it, it was delivered, can't get my money.  At this time of year things are slow and I need every dollar.  I guess tey do too.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.