HORRIBLE IDEA TO HOLD FUNDS FOR 21 DAYS!!!

gearhed78
Contributor
Contributor

Holding funds from sellers until the buyer leaves feedback is the worst idea EVER! Since when does Paypal become an authority on buyer satisfaction?? A smooth transaction is all that I wanted from Paypal. If they are going to hold funds, then they should make it very clear BEFORE you use them!  Keeping my money in their account for 21 days is a HUGE disadvantage of using Paypal. Stick to transferring funds,not trying to be a satisfaction authority!

Login to Me Too
6,286 REPLIES 6,286

dtechpp
New Community Member

This is complete and utter nonsense!  I am in the same boat as everyone else posting here and I am DONE with eBay and PayPal after I am done with this transaction.  I am sick and tired of their shady, underhanded business practices.  A few months from now it will be yet another set of rules and/or hoops to jump through.  I am DONE... D-O-N-E. DONE!

So I have 100% feeback and over 20 transactions and have been verified for years and now all of a sudden you are going to hold MY funds when I am PAYING you a fee for the services of processing my transaction!?!?!

I have a zero balance pending the "clearing of funds" and it takes 3-5 days to add funds to the account but in order to release the funds faster (3 days AFTER the buyer receives the item) I have to ship through the PayPal site but how do I do that in the one day turn around time that I promised in my auction if I can't use the funds or add funds for 3-5 days???  And no PayPal I will NOT keep a running balance in my account.  Now I have to print a shipping label through the carrier, then check that it's shipped on eBay and the wait at least 7 days after they receive the goods to get my money!?!?!

PayPal is trying to make US pay the price (pun intended) for crappy management and greed along with eBay and their ever ridiculous percentages, fees, and transaction manipulation.  Just sit down and do the math of all the eBay plus PayPal fees when everything is said and done and the fact that eBay is designed to favor buyers (does not reset auction time for an additional minute or whatever to encourage sniping of items unless a realistic reserve is set which they also charge for).

I will use related forums and reputable online retailers only from now on for the goods I am interested in selling/buying in the future and will only accept forms of payment OTHER THAN PayPal.  I will also not do business with any business or individual that requires PayPal, period.

Good bye eBay and PayPal.  You will not be missed and you will NOT be getting or holding any of my money!

Login to Me Too

mdejno1
Contributor
Contributor

I couldn't have said it better, I'm waiting to finish my last 3 transactions and it's bye bye, From now on I will not deal with anyone or anything that has paypal attached to it.

Login to Me Too

JesseH

So frustrating. I'm suffering the same thing and to make it even more ridiculous is the fact that the buyer gave me POSITIVE FEEDBACK stating she received the item and everything is fine. What justification does this company to STILL be holding my money? It says it will be released on Dec 1st, which will have been over two weeks since the payment was first sent to me. I'm laughing at how ridiculous this service is. Will never accept a payment via paypal again. I need this money, hence selling the item, and I'm **bleep**ed because of this.

Login to Me Too

jlpilkin

Add me to the list - been a verified seller for years.  Then, they suddenly put a transaction on hold for no reason.  At least it was for a small amount.

Thank God I also have a real merchant account I can use, otherwise my online business would have been in jeopardy - one that I have worked a solid year to get up and running. There's no way I can run it with the risk of my money being unavailable at the discretion of someone else.

If you are a microISV, I'd strongly recommend against only using PayPal.

Login to Me Too

mdejno1
Contributor
Contributor

I know i am in the same boat I have 100% feed back I'm verifyed and back up my account with a credit card. What do you think they do with the millions of dollars they make in intrest holding our money?

Login to Me Too

JAYSH22A

HOPE PAYPAL GOES COMPLETELY TO **bleep** BECAUSE OF ALL OF THIS. ITS A BUNCH OF BS!!!

Login to Me Too

mdejno1
Contributor
Contributor

It WON'T BE LONG BEFORE CUSTOMERS FIND A BETTER SYSTEM. GREED WILL PUT THEM OUT OF BUSINESS

Login to Me Too

kxkammeraad
Contributor
Contributor

I would like to add my 2 cents; however, it will be a financial hardship to even add 2 cents, since PayPal will not release my money. My experience of selling on EBay for the first time was a positive one, until I got into the shipping and receiving my PayPal payment part. Until then, I was excited that my item sold surprisingly fast, and the buyer paid immediately. I then read through all the "how to get your money faster" EBay tips. Accordingly, I decided to purchase and print off an EBay shipping label with a tracking number thinking that would help. In the process, EBay gives you several options on how you want to ship, for example, priority or first class... I chose first class, unfortunately, however, I did not read anywhere in the EBay tips that warned me of the fact that if I opted to ship first class the EBay tracking number I purchased would be worthless, since USPS first class mail is not tracked.

Also, before purchasing and printing off the EBay shipping label, I had to weigh the package, since, obviously, the weight of the package would figure into the price of shipping. Since I felt pressured to purchase, print off, and ship with an EBay shipping label in order to get my money "faster," I weighed the item on the scale I had at home which was apparently nowhere near as accurate as the scale at the post office would have been if I had just taken it to the post office and bypassed the EBay shipping label in the first place. I ended-up paying three times the shipping cost via the EBay shipping label, since my scale weighed the package three times heavier than it actually was. Then, after all that, PayPal has advised me that I will need to wait approximately 21 days to receive my payment anyway.

In the meantime, I called PayPal twice to see if I could get the exact date my money would be released. The first time I was told the money would be available on November 25. Then, when at the close of the business day on the 25th my money was still unavailable, I called again. This time, I was told the money would clear around 12:00 am on the 26th. It is now 8:16 am on the 26th, and my money is still unavailable.

At this point, I am not sure I will ever sell on EBay again. I would certainly avoid the same shipping mistakes, but, since, I planned on only selling on EBay once in awhile, it appears that it would be a struggle for me to meet the established seller rules needed to begin to receive prompt payments from PayPal. So, unfortunately, although I have been a long-time EBay buyer who has accumulated an over 550 item 100% positive feedback profile, I would probably continue to be treated with suspicion by PayPal as a seller.

As a buyer, I can certainly understand the need for EBay/PayPal to implement rules and regulations to protect all the buyers out there from fraudulent sellers. I have run into a couple of shady characters myself while buying on EBay. In reality, however, to hold a seller’s payments for 21 days after the buyer has paid  is a practice much more about protecting the financial interests of Corporate America, in this case, namely, EBay/PayPal, than it is about evenhanded customer service practices.

Login to Me Too

mdejno1
Contributor
Contributor

There are many good E-bayers out their like you that are in the same postion we are. I'm sure Ebay will be losing many customers in the near future, I am in the process of finishing up my last 3 sales and ending my long standing relationship with Paypal. I have had enough. Times are hard and companies like Paypal are making it harder.

Login to Me Too

Blitzcrank
Contributor
Contributor

I've been a verified seller for YEARS. My Paypal account is verified. I have more than 50 feedback on eBay, all positive. I've never had a problem.

The only issue I've had is RECEIVING money. At least a dozen times I've sold something on eBay and never received payment. Is that why there's a hold? So now I'm being doubly punished because users are bidding on my items and not paying?

It's not like I'm living off of the money, but it feels completely unfair and unwarranted for a user who has never had an issue. I did not know where to ask this, hence this post.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.