HORRIBLE IDEA TO HOLD FUNDS FOR 21 DAYS!!!

gearhed78
Contributor
Contributor

Holding funds from sellers until the buyer leaves feedback is the worst idea EVER! Since when does Paypal become an authority on buyer satisfaction?? A smooth transaction is all that I wanted from Paypal. If they are going to hold funds, then they should make it very clear BEFORE you use them!  Keeping my money in their account for 21 days is a HUGE disadvantage of using Paypal. Stick to transferring funds,not trying to be a satisfaction authority!

Login to Me Too
6,286 REPLIES 6,286

Madrona
Contributor
Contributor

DJten: Nope.  My funds are held and they're not from eBay.  I teach English online and was paid by the site I teach through.  Also a couple of students paid me directly from their own funds.  It's all held 21 days. I've never had a dispute or a problem anywhere. 

Login to Me Too

Djten
Contributor
Contributor

Hmmm. That's very interesting. My site is ioffer.com. I done two transactions so far and it hasn't happened yet.

Login to Me Too

temp11022011z
Contributor
Contributor

I thought as much, but thanks for confirming it for me. Ebay is starting to **bleep** big time. I have almost $150 bucks on hold, and some of it has been on hold for almost 3 weeks now. what site are you doing business with if you don't mind me asking? If I can leave ebay and get my monies as soon as I ship the item, **bleep**! I'm all for it!

Login to Me Too

ILoveMoringa
Contributor
Contributor

I agree. This may create problems for me, but there appear to be people on ebay who were experiencing the 21 day hold, who had their funds released, after they make a phone call to complain, to the banking and securities commissions in their states, which regulate PayPal. Read about it on ebay forums. Person after person had funds released.

Take this as - just what I have read - but it was an interesting read!

Login to Me Too

temp11022011z
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the info as I will definately be checking this out in the matter of minutes.

Login to Me Too

ILoveMoringa
Contributor
Contributor

You are most welcome, and might be a prime idea to spread the word, as the post may be deleted by "someone".

Login to Me Too

whyte66angels
Contributor
Contributor

When the 21 day hold happened to me 40 pages ago. I quit ebay right away when I tried to call but only got a customer rep that did not speak hardly any english & didn't understand it either. I tried too complaining to the right channel only to fall on def ears. From what i've read it seems ebay is trying to get rid of small time business & go only large scale like china & hong kong. I was always under the impression that paypal was a online banking institute. Not according to paypal user agreement. I still have not found in my user agreement that I allowed ebay to have access to my account or any third party. I have also read that it has happened to others not in ebay. Such a small few 2 so far. Millions from ebay. I complained to the trustee watch dog only to get a letter back that if I dont like it leave ebay. Well I did that & now currently sell on another auction site. Ebay has gotten too big for there britches.

Just remember you are not alone. But complaining will get you no where. Just a large lawyer bill. They have teams of lawyers. I am sure before they desided to **bleep** all of us I am sure they checked with their lawyers to see if it was legal. So complaining or filing charges will only hurt you. Do the smart thing and run! Ebid.net is the best place. Its affordable & is user friendly.

Login to Me Too

TinkerTek
Contributor
Contributor

The short and brief answer to the many questions which have arisen in regards to the latest implementation of payment protocal is as quoted:

In a small percentage of cases where it has been determined the risk of dissatisfied buyers is higher, PayPal may delay release of the payment funds to the seller until the buyer has left a positive feedback or 21 days have passed without a dispute, claim, chargeback or reversal filed on that transaction.

The FAQs state that PayPal considers a number of factors in determining a whether a transaction may have a higher risk of dissatisfied buyers, including the following:

Positive Feedback in the last 30 days

Seller's Detailed Seller Ratings in the last 30 days

Final price for the item

Shipping & handling fee

Seller's eBay tenure as an eBay member

Seller's total number of Feedback

PayPal will release the hold when the earliest of the following occurs: the buyer leaves positive feedback; 3 days after confirmed item delivery; or 21 days without a dispute, claim, chargeback, or reversal filed on that transaction. (PayPal said if a buyer leaves a negative feedback but does not initiate a dispute, PayPal would release the funds to the seller after 21 days.

Unfortunately this policy which is not new is beginning to spring upon unwary paypal account holders who for the most part have operated with integrity and honesty for many years. Who can say which of the listed qualifiers the penalized paypal account holder is being held beneath the undue burden of a 21-day hold. In fact, I as the author of this short and informative post, has been both a buyer and a seller on ebay for the past 10 years and currently hold a 100% buyer and seller feedback rating. While the amount of feedback I carry, only 78, may not seem impressive to many who operate in the hundreds if not thousands, it is a number that I have worked on with great effort and care.

I have always paid for the items I have purchased quickly and without guile and in like fashion anyone that has ever purchased from me I have ensured prompt communication, fast shipping, above par packaging and the fulfillment of satisfaction from the item they have purchased. The 100% feedback which I have worked on has become a badge of honor as also many of you can identify with. I have earned the right to be trusted and I am aware that the 100% feedback is also a peace-of-mind for the buyer that is bidding/winning on my items.

Suddenly and without warning  the paypal accountholder is tacked with what I can only label as a "seller penalty." In return for the many years of respectable business, steady flow of paypal transactions fees and positive business many are thrust upon by this 21 day hold. In the most despicable terms we must realize that paypal has in fact offerred protection above and beyond the buyer protection to the buyer instead of protecting the seller. Now the seller is at the mercy of the buyer. Unlike EVERY transaction that exists on the internet in which the item is NEVER delivered without payment first we are now demanded to send an item without any monies in return and then begin the process of waiting on numerous events to occur, most hinging upon the buyer, before we receive the monies which should have been delivered the moment instant payment occurred.

I have noticed that while ours has been placed in PENDING status that PAYPAL of course immediately takes their transaction fee from what you have in pending.

Give it time and there will come a time in which paypal will find competition knocking on its door which will offer better services and a more reliable base of accountholder protection and appreciation. I will surely be one open that door!

Login to Me Too

TinkerTek
Contributor
Contributor

The short and brief answer to the many questions which have arisen in regards to the latest implementation of payment protocal is as quoted:

In a small percentage of cases where it has been determined the risk of dissatisfied buyers is higher, PayPal may delay release of the payment funds to the seller until the buyer has left a positive feedback or 21 days have passed without a dispute, claim, chargeback or reversal filed on that transaction.

The FAQs state that PayPal considers a number of factors in determining a whether a transaction may have a higher risk of dissatisfied buyers, including the following:

Positive Feedback in the last 30 days

Seller's Detailed Seller Ratings in the last 30 days

Final price for the item

Shipping & handling fee

Seller's eBay tenure as an eBay member

Seller's total number of Feedback

PayPal will release the hold when the earliest of the following occurs: the buyer leaves positive feedback; 3 days after confirmed item delivery; or 21 days without a dispute, claim, chargeback, or reversal filed on that transaction. (PayPal said if a buyer leaves a negative feedback but does not initiate a dispute, PayPal would release the funds to the seller after 21 days.

Unfortunately this policy which is not new is beginning to spring upon unwary paypal account holders who for the most part have operated with integrity and honesty for many years. Who can say which of the listed qualifiers the penalized paypal account holder is being held beneath the undue burden of a 21-day hold. In fact, I as the author of this short and informative post, has been both a buyer and a seller on ebay for the past 10 years and currently hold a 100% buyer and seller feedback rating. While the amount of feedback I carry, only 78, may not seem impressive to many who operate in the hundreds if not thousands, it is a number that I have worked on with great effort and care.

I have always paid for the items I have purchased quickly and without guile and in like fashion anyone that has ever purchased from me I have ensured prompt communication, fast shipping, above par packaging and the fulfillment of satisfaction from the item they have purchased. The 100% feedback which I have worked on has become a badge of honor as also many of you can identify with. I have earned the right to be trusted and I am aware that the 100% feedback is also a peace-of-mind for the buyer that is bidding/winning on my items.

Suddenly and without warning  the paypal accountholder is tacked with what I can only label as a "seller penalty." In return for the many years of respectable business, steady flow of paypal transactions fees and positive business many are thrust upon by this 21 day hold. In the most despicable terms we must realize that paypal has in fact offerred protection above and beyond the buyer protection to the buyer instead of protecting the seller. Now the seller is at the mercy of the buyer. Unlike EVERY transaction that exists on the internet in which the item is NEVER delivered without payment first we are now demanded to send an item without any monies in return and then begin the process of waiting on numerous events to occur, most hinging upon the buyer, before we receive the monies which should have been delivered the moment instant payment occurred.

I have noticed that while ours has been placed in PENDING status that PAYPAL of course immediately takes their transaction fee from what you have in pending.

Give it time and there will come a time in which paypal will find competition knocking on its door which will offer better services and a more reliable base of accountholder protection and appreciation. I will surely be one open that door!

Login to Me Too

goebelfamily
New Community Member

YES!! I agree!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.