HORRIBLE IDEA TO HOLD FUNDS FOR 21 DAYS!!!

gearhed78
Contributor
Contributor

Holding funds from sellers until the buyer leaves feedback is the worst idea EVER! Since when does Paypal become an authority on buyer satisfaction?? A smooth transaction is all that I wanted from Paypal. If they are going to hold funds, then they should make it very clear BEFORE you use them!  Keeping my money in their account for 21 days is a HUGE disadvantage of using Paypal. Stick to transferring funds,not trying to be a satisfaction authority!

Login to Me Too
6,286 REPLIES 6,286

IHateYou
Contributor
Contributor

Wow! You must work for pay**bleep**inpal. You are just as bad as this sorry bunch of crooks!

Login to Me Too

Djten
Contributor
Contributor

Why do folks have to WORK for PayPal?? All we're saying is that although we don't necessarily like what they're doing, there's a reason why they're doing it.

Login to Me Too

7yearseller
Contributor
Contributor

@Djten wrote:

Why do folks have to WORK for PayPal?? All we're saying is that although we don't necessarily like what they're doing, there's a reason why they're doing it.

I could not have said it better (or shorter Smiley Wink)

I do want to add, since this reason was left for a retort by a bitter name calling naysayer to make up another reason other than confirming the customer does have the item they purchased in order for Paypal to  know they will not have to pay for a refund. The fund hold secures that money for them, so it does not come out of Paypal's pocket. What Djten said is true, is a completely strategic and smart move on Paypal's part to, as I said before, stop bleeding money because of bad sellers, dishonest sellers and those who have had financial problem causing them to need their money for bills rather than to ship their products. Sadly, this must have happened to many sellers.

Contrary to what someone else said in a post before, a credit card is not the end all for Paypal to be secure in the knowledge they will not have to come out of pocket, not when the seller was smart enough to cancel that card. The only recourse Paypal has is to honor the Buyer's Protection, and they do, which means Paypal pays. What other way to ensure their loss of funds in this manner than to hold the sellers until they deliver what was promised. Be grateful they will allow the release of shipping funds (just after you have paid with your money) so you will be able to continue shipping.

Login to Me Too

IHateYou
Contributor
Contributor

A reason why they are doing it? Wow are you really that dumb or have they not **bleep**ed you yet? The reason is to steal money. They make interest on your money while they hold it for 21 days, 180 days or longer.  A bank can not get away with doing **bleep** like paypal does. I have over a decade of positive feedbacks, I have bought and sold items for over a thousand dollars, I never had a charge back or even a complaint and they put my account on a 21 day hold. I have complained to paypal over and over and they do NOT give a **bleep**! Every person at paypay I have talked with has been rude and it seems like they get a bonus if they can **bleep** you off and make you freak out on them for the lack of help.  I am newly disabled and can no longer work. Selling more items on ebay seemed like the best way I could survive. It felt good selling more and then they threw a turd in the punchbowl and told me I have to wait 21 days to see if my buyer was happy and did not want to return the item or to find out if the buyer was a scamer and would claim they never recieved the item and maybe I will get MY MONEY released. Everything was fine until pp messed every thing up. They email me after a bidder paid for my item and say it is okay to ship. I remember when it was up to me. I would get paid and be able to use that money to ship the package, to pay sellers fees, get gas or buy a cheeseburger of whatever the **bleep** I wanted to do with my money. It will be in the mail Monday, not because of a line of crap pp tells me but because I AM a HONEST seller and the guy who paid for my item deserves to get my thing on time, he does not know I am being robbed by the company who he paid me with, but he should. Thanks so much for destroying my hopes to be able to sell my belongings and get paid in a timely fashion.

Login to Me Too

7yearseller
Contributor
Contributor

You stated you starting selling more items on eBay. An increase in items offered or a lack of consistency are two of the things they see as red flags. If you just work with it, ship an item, your shipping funds being released within minutes to 24 hours, you will see that in your Paypal. Then you can use those shipping funds released to ship the next item. I did have a hold on my funds. It stated "from now on", but I just kept on doing what I had been, although I did have to be more consistent in the number of items offered, but my hold was released. That is not to say it won't happen again, but I will save a few of my shipping funds I paid for that are released into Paypal and use those to ship other things if I get another hold and that may continue to repeat itself, but it can work if you don't give up. They just don't want people to take all the funds out immediately in the event some of the 23 million sellers on here do not ship so they, Paypal, don't have to cover the loss.

Login to Me Too

l-js_things
Contributor
Contributor

True and some common sense does not argue with the policy itself.  Think communication about the policy going so wide spread before the massive holds would have gone a long way to alleviate some of the disgruntled customers.  Or a response now - now that so many people are effected, confused and not so happy. But you are right PayPal is a business and some of what they are doing is really benefiting those of us who do ship and provide product at reasonable prices with reasonable shipping rates.  Just don't think they thought it all the way through - as far as buyer problems that are not legit

@Djten wrote:

Login to Me Too

7yearseller
Contributor
Contributor

@l-js_things wrote:

True and some common sense does not argue with the policy itself.  Think communication about the policy going so wide spread before the massive holds would have gone a long way to alleviate some of the disgruntled customers.  Or a response now - now that so many people are effected, confused and not so happy. But you are right PayPal is a business and some of what they are doing is really benefiting those of us who do ship and provide product at reasonable prices with reasonable shipping rates.  Just don't think they thought it all the way through - as far as buyer problems that are not legit

I am so glad to see someone else understand about it being a business, and we are in agreement it would have alleviated a lot of disgruntled sellers had they given a blanket notification. You may be right about not thinking it all the way through related to the buyer challenges that may come up. However, I did read that eBay is stating that if the buyer does not first contact the seller before they file a dispute, then the dispute does not count against us. There are steps the buyer has to go through, according to what I read on eBay or Paypal (think it came from an eBay email in their message system). Also, and I am now sure of the exact wording, but there has to be a valid reason for a return, not just buyers remorse. How they will prove that, I don't know, but at least they stated it. That was my biggest concern at first, but so far no problems. 

Login to Me Too

l-js_things
Contributor
Contributor
You are right - they sent an email about new seller protection. Glad to hear your voice of reason.  It is inconvenient - but not a big problem - business as usual for me. Have a great day!
@7yearseller wrote:

@l-js_things wrote:

I am so glad to see someone else understand about it being a business, and we are in agreement it would have alleviated a lot of disgruntled sellers had they given a blanket notification. You may be right about not thinking it all the way through related to the buyer challenges that may come up. However, I did read that eBay is stating that if the buyer does not first contact the seller before they file a dispute, then the dispute does not count against us. There are steps the buyer has to go through, according to what I read on eBay or Paypal (think it came from an eBay email in their message system). Also, and I am now sure of the exact wording, but there has to be a valid reason for a return, not just buyers remorse. How they will prove that, I don't know, but at least they stated it. That was my biggest concern at first, but so far no problems. 

Login to Me Too

7yearseller
Contributor
Contributor

@IHateYou wrote:

Wow! You must work for pay**bleep**inpal. You are just as bad as this sorry bunch of crooks!

Your chosen id on here speaks volumes.

There are many things in life that happen over which we have no control. If you have this hatred for every change that must take place, that is very sad.

As time goes by, and you mature, you will look back on this and understand that this implementation of a policy out of necessity due to the economy and malicious and often good sellers gone bad, is not anything of a crooked or greedy nature. It is simply business.

Login to Me Too

Djten
Contributor
Contributor

Exactly. Unfortunately the old saying applies here: either you LIKE it or you LUMP it. However in my case it was different. Most of the sellers here are independant. But I was selling stuff through wholesale distributors. I got jammed up because when someone bought an item from my eBay store, a couple of times I had to order the product from the distributor AND come out my own pocket for the shipping and handling due to PayPal's 21-day hold policy! And I did that because I didn't want my customers to have their product delayed. That only worked a couple of times but then I didn't always have the funds handy to do that.

Like many people on this board past and present, I was completely stunned because it was like they came completely out of nowhere with this. True, from what I've read so far, it may be in their fine print NOW. But when it first occurred it was like a LeBron James backdoor into a reverse slam dunk! Smiley Very Happy And to the people that understand basketball and after describing that, when I say caught off guard I MEAN caught off guard! At least they could've forewarned people!

And check this out. A couple of buyers bought items from my store that weren't in stock. But instead of going through the dispute process I emailed them directly and we were able to work it out in a mature and professional manner. And they even stated so in their feedback. But mysteriously my feedback ratings started to slip. I emailed eBay about it and they gave a reply which didn't make too much sense to me. And that's why I decided to close my store and open up someplace else. So believe me, I've been through the ringer too!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.