HORRIBLE IDEA TO HOLD FUNDS FOR 21 DAYS!!!

gearhed78
Contributor
Contributor

Holding funds from sellers until the buyer leaves feedback is the worst idea EVER! Since when does Paypal become an authority on buyer satisfaction?? A smooth transaction is all that I wanted from Paypal. If they are going to hold funds, then they should make it very clear BEFORE you use them!  Keeping my money in their account for 21 days is a HUGE disadvantage of using Paypal. Stick to transferring funds,not trying to be a satisfaction authority!

Login to Me Too
6,286 REPLIES 6,286

antiquesnme
Contributor
Contributor

Although Craigslist is a riskier sale venue--I think I might try a few items on there and possibly make it a ship after payment clears or meet at some location.  I use my PayPal money for shipping and gas in my car and  need my money   and unless you PAY and use EBAY's printing labels and fees for shipping thru them, you can't use the money they're holding for shipping.  I don't know who's brainchild this was--but---it's a BAD idea---And as I said before---It's always is and still is now--ABOUT THE MONEY

I have a friend that has over 5000 positive feedbacks and they are doing it to her also---so tell me it isn't about the money.

I have always been happy in the past but now must rethink another plan.

Login to Me Too

terese2
Contributor
Contributor
It is about A LOT of money!! I never minded paying fees for service to EBay and Paypal, but I find this "holding money for 21 days" scam to be loathsome. Disgusting, rapacious greed that I simply cannot condone. I imagine more payment alternatives will spring up over time, and while I wait, I will continue to experiment with Craig's List. I will not allow myself to be victimized by Paypal bloodsucking!
Login to Me Too

antiquesnme
Contributor
Contributor

Teresa ---- I wholeheartedly agree--times are tough all over and today I had to evict someone and clean out the rest of their trash--now I get to paint the whole inside of the house and repair the damages they have done.  I sure could have used the money in my paypal acct. for gas and cleaning supplies---- I've gotten 2 positive feedbacks in the last 3 days and they won't even release those funds.  And now I have another package to ship and can't even use those funds for that either.

I always ship the next day- after they pay--so now what is the advantage of that?   I might explore Amazon.com or Bidz.com is another site for sellers.  Of course, none are as popular as EBAY---and they know that!!!   I'm really dissapointed in EBAY--I sold a doll to a lady that was worth $250.00--she got it for $50.00--then had the nerve to tell me the head was off when she got it

It was an antique so the elastic just wore out-(I repair them all the time with a crochet hook and elastic--easy)-she wanted her money back and wouldn't even send me a picture---and I got no backing from EBAY at all---I was the one at fault--It was a large 27" composition doll from the 1940's and it cost me an extra $15.00 to ship it--I still had to refund half of her money---so she really got it for free--I had always enjoyed EBAY until that happened and they wouldn't back me up to ask her for pictures--they just took her word.  I had another buyer think he was buying gold from me--even tho I said--not gold--costume jewelry-----I had to refund his money--then he had the nerve to leave me bad feedback.  It would be so nice if EBAY would try backing us sellers .  I have made money on this site but it's getting more and more difficult and EBAY makes sure they get their money first--of course.  It does no good to email them--all you get is this customer service mumble jumble to try to placate us.  I have a tendency to lose my cool and that does no good either.

Oh Well---I've vented now---but surprises me it's been going on for 2 years now?  No wonder some of my friends have left EBAY.  Had a bad couple of days anyway--just had to put my 17 yo kitty to sleep on Wednesday.

Login to Me Too

Djten
Contributor
Contributor

Hey readuseragreement:

I dig what your saying but check this out. I'm not trying to entertain folks but rather help them find solutions to their problems. If they want entertainment, they should go on Facebook or Digg or Delicious. Because I find that's where a great deal of these comments belong anyway. And I say that because many of these posts are absolutely TOO LONG WINDED!! And saying what???

I've never once heard anyone (except me), mention that eBay was sued by Louis Vuitton. Or anyone (except me again), mention about PayPal getting shut down by China and India. Or anyone make references to eBayfinancialnews.com (I believe that's their site). Once I clicked on to that site that's when I realized that these people are HUGE!!!  And like you said, stuff like that is all in the previous posts. And as far as folks not liking you, WHO CARES?? I'm quite sure that you could spend your time doing many other things. I haven't really read your posts in full, but from what I gathered you're only telling folks to read the fine print. Which is only logical.

Yeah sure. We all don't like what PayPal is doing but most folks don't know that PayPal got scammed too awhile back. But it's jacked up how their making everybody pay for it.

Login to Me Too

arinthia28
Contributor
Contributor

Not only is paypal's policy hard on sellers but I now take and PREFER MONEY BOOKERS and money orders. I only take paypal after confirming and doing my own research on the buyer. FYI paypal/ebay this is slowing down your business and those commissions tht you make on EVERY sale! but what really has me upset more than your not answering calls, disconnected numbers and a computer system that I had to research online of finding the secret word to not be transferred to the non working number, is after YOUR policy of releasing funds 3 days after delivery confirmation and no complaints from the buy who I shipped to in less than 24 hours of payment clearing you STILL have not released or made available my funds!

It's bad enough that to sell something on ebay I have to eat the shipping and wait for reimbursement but now you won't even follow your own policies. At first I didn't mind the policies because as soon as I entered correct tracking numbers for my shipped sales you would release my money. I have not had any negative feedback during your holds policy and shipped within 24 hours of payment clearing. Why now are you not only making me wait until 3 days after delivery confirmation to release my funds but then not even doing so?

I understand buyer protection but there is a balance that requires your parent company ebay to profit. if it is not good for BOTH buyers and sellers then the system loses traffic and with your commissions on EVERY auction through paypal/ebay monopoly on payment and hiding listing options for other payment options behind 2 or more links in tiny print it has become more of a hassle and expense to sell on ebay and use paypal. 

I understand changes due to the site growing and unfortunate fraud and bad sellers but there is next to none seller protection. I have sent out an item in working condition and had it obviously tinkered with  y the buyer and returned with a complaint and lies about my listing and item and I issued the refund and ended up with a broken item that I could no longer sell. Where is the protection for those practices. And what about no longer being able to leave bad buyer feedback for deadbeat bidders?

All in all I'm glad that the guitars that I build and sell have local stores that carry them and I do not have to rely on ebay/paypal for those but for my pro audio items i am still reluctantly on ebay and paypal.

Login to Me Too

ChiSoxFan

I just got my paypal notice in my email today and it appears I'm late to the "party" here for this ridiculous 21 day hold on funds.  Like others, I'm an ebay seller in good standing and feel that this is a punishing policy to small potatoes sellers like me.  I called Paypal to complain about this policy and the customer service rep claims that after a "35 day review period" from today, if all my transactions proceed smoothly, then they will release my funds immediately like they used to.  Is this rep feeding me a line of bull or has Paypal tweaked this policy?  If it is just for 35 days, I can deal with it.  Anyone else get this info from Paypal as well?

Login to Me Too

Djten
Contributor
Contributor

Hey ChiSoxFan:

Even though you seem to be a baseball fan, I'm a Knicks fan and have been for many years. Just want to say that it's good to see the Bulls back on the map in the post-Jordan era.

Login to Me Too

antiquesnme
Contributor
Contributor

ChiSoxFan

Yes I got the same answer about they were going to review my account in 35 days and if it looks good then the hold would be released.  Well--it better look good--I ship out the day after payment--leave feedback right away--pack great and have great feedback  It's now been about 15 days---s0 I guess we'll see if they're lying or not soon.

So in the meantime--I can't even use the money the buyer sends for shipping---out of my own pocket.  Somehow just doesn't seem right

Login to Me Too

YourStupid
Contributor
Contributor

Of course it is about the money, you think companies like Ebay/Paypal operate for free.  You think shills like readuseragreeme work for charity?

Paypals 21 day holds are not a scam.  They just **bleep**, but you all read the user agreement right?  And you continue to use Paypal and you continue to **bleep** about it when you can quit using Paypal at anytime.  Join terese at craigslist and then stop back in to tell us how well it is going for you

Login to Me Too

enahcs1
Contributor
Contributor

btw,  yourstupid...you're has an apostrophe.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.