HORRIBLE IDEA TO HOLD FUNDS FOR 21 DAYS!!!

gearhed78
Contributor
Contributor

Holding funds from sellers until the buyer leaves feedback is the worst idea EVER! Since when does Paypal become an authority on buyer satisfaction?? A smooth transaction is all that I wanted from Paypal. If they are going to hold funds, then they should make it very clear BEFORE you use them!  Keeping my money in their account for 21 days is a HUGE disadvantage of using Paypal. Stick to transferring funds,not trying to be a satisfaction authority!

Login to Me Too
6,286 REPLIES 6,286

redpower
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor
7yearseller do you find it as funny as I do that Therese hasn't responded to you this time?  I suppose that means you're right!
Login to Me Too

terese2
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Redpower!  I am really sorry that you were waiting with bated breath for me to get back to SevenYearSeller, and I feel particularly honored that both of you are so interested in what I have to say!  I do not want to repeat myself, so maybe you can just read my most recent post.

To sum up, though:

I received NO response to multiple inquiries from Paypal concerning the 21 day hold on my funds.  I am still waiting, especially since I have sold many hundreds of items over many years with a PERFECT record of 100% positive feedback.  Also have consistently sold in the same categories with a consistent selling pattern.  Hmmm.. . . .

I feel I have a duty as an American consumer to provide thoughtful and honest feedback to other consumers and to the sleazy vendor--i.e., Paypal--who hosts and pays for this forum.  Paypal is unethical and we should refrain from using them.

I am intrigued by your view that if someone receives no response to a posting, this suggests that the non-respondent agrees with the posting.  Do you think Paypal actually agrees with me that their 21 day  hold policy is sleazy and unethical, and that's why they haven't responded to me?  What an interesting idea!!

Have a great day!  

Login to Me Too

redpower
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Thanks for the response!

Login to Me Too

terese2
Contributor
Contributor

You are most welcome.  I am always eager to  let people know why I think Paypal's greedy policy of holding consumers' money for 21 days is unethical.  I hope more and more people decide to walk away from Paypal.

Login to Me Too

terese2
Contributor
Contributor

In the cases of many of us, the Paypal "policy" of appropriating our money unethically has NOTHING to do with risk.  Many of us have 100% approval ratings, over many years of experience.  This "policy" has to do with greed, and is cloaked in disingenuous statements about risk, which Paypal lacks the integrity even to administer consistently or fairly.

It is a complete sham.  Vote with your business, folks.  Refrain from allowing Paypal to exploit you!

Login to Me Too

Productpushers
Contributor
Contributor

I agree with you Terese... The only way Paypal will learn is if people stop using it.  I heard moneybookers was reputable and works perfectly with ebay without all the hassle that Paypal has to offer. I'm going to check them out.  But first I'm going to make sure I advise every person I know to avoid using Paypal. 

As far as Paypal's assigned group of forum assassins hired by Paypal to save face (7yearpaypal employee, Red Pal, and ReadTheUserAgreementBeforeWeStealYourMoney), it's really funny that they think people don't know that they work for Paypal.  No happy customer in their right mind is going to troll a Paypal forum and spend all day trying to explain new policies desinged to trample on their loyal customers.  NIce try!

I posted the original e-mail I received from Paypal about the new policy on Facebook warning my more than 800 friends about the fradulous actions Paypal is taking part in and then included some of the responses from this thread.  You should see some of the comments I got!  Hilarious!  

I'll give you a taste...

"How can Paypal hold Ebay sellers hostage for almost a month meanwhile letting the buyers basically walk all over you and have total control over your money?  That's crazy!

"I smell foul play!!!  This makes me more mad than I can say....  I'm never using paypal again!"

"Did Paypal get bought out by the mafia???  What's with this new policy???  Every seller I know is going to be in a world of hurt!"

"I heard of a leader in Germany back in the day that treated his people better" 

LOL  That last one was funny...  I'll post more if you guys want, I had about 26 responses.

Login to Me Too

redpower
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

@mmatos wrote:

I disagree that it makes people sound dumb. The forums are for community discussion and allow for users to express their opinions, whether positive or negative. Additionally, it allows for PayPal to see that multiple users feel the same way about an issue and possibly review or revise their policy.

You know what DOES sound dumb?

* Statements that people who express their opinion or frustration "sound dumb."

* Random insults and comments that add no value whatsoever to a thread (especially if they're carelessly written with bad grammar.)

* "DUH!"

What you missed from readuseragreemes' post is:

10.4 Actions by PayPal - Holds.

Read that.

Login to Me Too

Sunshine37923
Contributor
Contributor

I have had that "HOLD" placed on my account.  After three days showing the item was delivered (and better if it was signed for and you have a first initial and last name), contact PAYPAL by telephone via their PAYPAL website.  It will show a code on your computer.  When you call from your "authorized" phone that they have on file, they will request the code.  You will then have to wait for a "real person".  Once you are speaking to someone, they will verify that the item is delivered and they will take the hold off of that particular item in PAYPAL so you have access to those funds.  Keeping in mind that my buyers don't like to leave any feedback.  If after 3 days or more and no negative action has been taken by your buyer, PAYPAL will release that particular fund.  I know it is a hassle to do this each and every time, but it beats waiting 21 days for PAYPAL to finally release your money so you have access to it.  I hope this helps!

Login to Me Too

7yearseller
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you, Sunshine !!!

Finally someone who has gone through the process and knows Paypal really does not hold the funds 21 days. I have been on here explaining how Paypal explained it to me and how it is stated for the most part on their site, but not having gone through the process myself, I could not prove it to anyone.

I hope all here will pay attention to your post. If this isn't sufficient for the others, they should just leave Paypal. Paypal is not going to miss the few who leave more than they miss the money they have to shell out when there is a chargeback and the seller is no longer solvent.

This is sooo much better than seeing posts of complaints when there is not an absolute hold of 21 days. You are the one who provided the confirmation. Thank you so much.

Login to Me Too

terese2
Contributor
Contributor

Hello Sunshine!

Well, it certainly is great news that you were able, after a great deal of time on the phone, to get Paypal to give you your money, particularly when they had no reason to hold it!

But here's my problem with your "fix":

First and foremost, the "solution" involved a lot of time  (and for most of us, time equals money, spent/wasted tracking down someone who could help you correct a non-problem!  The way I interpret this, Paypal's "fix" is still most inappropriate.  The CUSTOMER is being forced to waste time and money getting Paypal to stop victimizing him/her.

Does this seem right/fair/ethical?

And even if it did, which it does not, can you  imagine going through this process for EACH and EVERY Transaction one makes on EBAY?  What about those poor people who attempt to make their living selling on Ebay?  Can you imagine what a colossal waste of time this is?

So sorry!  I am glad you had this one success in you r case, but it is not a helpful "solution."!!!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.