HORRIBLE IDEA TO HOLD FUNDS FOR 21 DAYS!!!

gearhed78
Contributor
Contributor

Holding funds from sellers until the buyer leaves feedback is the worst idea EVER! Since when does Paypal become an authority on buyer satisfaction?? A smooth transaction is all that I wanted from Paypal. If they are going to hold funds, then they should make it very clear BEFORE you use them!  Keeping my money in their account for 21 days is a HUGE disadvantage of using Paypal. Stick to transferring funds,not trying to be a satisfaction authority!

Login to Me Too
6,286 REPLIES 6,286

ebbill
Contributor
Contributor

Additionally, PayPal and eBay are banking on the poor suckers that do not read the agreement and I use the term banking literally.  The percentage of people that do no read the terms and conditions of any financial institution is staggering.  I am certain that eBay and PayPal have done studies on the demographics of users, credit card holders, bank account holders, and investors who DO NOT READ.  Therefore, I still feel that eBay and PayPal are no better than the banks that were bailed out 2 years ago and yet to pay any of that money bank.  They are no different.  I agree with Raven.  If you don't read the terms and conditions of the user agreement with PayPal then you have no one to blame but yourself.  I am certain that if you had read the terms and conditions of the agreement you would not have chosen to do business with PayPal or eBay.  Since eBay owns PayPal and accepts no other form of payment, that does make in a conglomerate taking advantage of their popularity and their past days of glory.  Its a new eBay now catering to those that have thousands of items in inventory and not for the little guys any more.  eBay is not the place to be if you have 50 items to sell.  You will never realize a profit at all unless your items are selling for $50 or more.  Its not worth putting items up for $2.95 and expect to make a profit because that will get eaten up with the eBay and PayPal fees.  May I suggest Etsy.com or Bonanza.com.  Grant it.  They don't get the traffic that eBay gets but at least they are not eating away at your profits and they don't hold your money either.

Login to Me Too

terese2
Contributor
Contributor

Interesting post, ebbill.  Thank you!

Regardless of whether individuals have read their terms and conditions, an inequitable application of them is just that--inequitable.  And the greatest strength that consumers have is to express displeasure by abandoning an unscrupulous vendor.  

Abandoning Paypal is the most eloquent expression of displeasure with the inequitable application of terms and conditions.  Fortunately, there are many other payment options for Ebay sellers to consider, including ones that charge smaller fees and DO NOT hold your money so that they can pocket the interest for 21 days.

Login to Me Too

Raveninred
Contributor
Contributor

@ebbill wrote:

Additionally, PayPal and eBay are banking on the poor suckers that do not read the agreement and I use the term banking literally.  The percentage of people that do no read the terms and conditions of any financial institution is staggering.  I am certain that eBay and PayPal have done studies on the demographics of users, credit card holders, bank account holders, and investors who DO NOT READ.  Therefore, I still feel that eBay and PayPal are no better than the banks that were bailed out 2 years ago and yet to pay any of that money bank.  They are no different.  I agree with Raven.  If you don't read the terms and conditions of the user agreement with PayPal then you have no one to blame but yourself.  I am certain that if you had read the terms and conditions of the agreement you would not have chosen to do business with PayPal or eBay.  Since eBay owns PayPal and accepts no other form of payment, that does make in a conglomerate taking advantage of their popularity and their past days of glory.  Its a new eBay now catering to those that have thousands of items in inventory and not for the little guys any more.  eBay is not the place to be if you have 50 items to sell.  You will never realize a profit at all unless your items are selling for $50 or more.  Its not worth putting items up for $2.95 and expect to make a profit because that will get eaten up with the eBay and PayPal fees.  May I suggest Etsy.com or Bonanza.com.  Grant it.  They don't get the traffic that eBay gets but at least they are not eating away at your profits and they don't hold your money either.

ebbil,

*sigh*

http://pages.ebay.com/help/pay/accepted-payment-methods.html

Cripes, ebay does not FORCE you to use them as the only means of payment. Doesn ANY BODY read or do research??

You're going to pay a fee with ANY company that used credit cards, and those fees are going to be going up this year, and probably next year too. Banks will be charging you more for simply having an account unless you jump through a certain amopunt of hoops a month, and ATM cards won't be worth the plastic they're made of. Look, business is going to be difficult in just about ANY market you move to - just be aware of that. And wherever you go, a load of scammers are going to figure out how to work the system and you're going to be out of pocket there, as well. You think it's just PayPal; they're one of the highest-targeted micro-businesses to date. So is e-bay. And you can';t say they're the same company, because they're not, they may be OWNED by the same parent company, but they're not the same company, and the guy who runs stuff over here does NOT run stuff over there.

It's apples and oranges and unscrupulous people have drilled a hole in the bottom of the cart and are siphoning off the best pick of the fruit.  It's sad to see people blame the cart and not the thieves.

Educate yourself, folks - please!!

Raven 

Login to Me Too

Sparklements
Contributor
Contributor

@Raveninred wrote:

*sigh*

http://pages.ebay.com/help/pay/accepted-payment-methods.html

Cripes, ebay does not FORCE you to use them as the only means of payment. Doesn ANY BODY read or do research??

Oh I've done my research, I know you're another shill hired by PP from a company called Liveworld to bully us disenchanted customers off your boards.

You're going to pay a fee with ANY company that used credit cards, and those fees are going to be going up this year, and probably next year too.

That's right, and when my credit card raised my interest rate they sent me a letter in the mail stating this fact. I PAY PayPal for every transaction, at a bare minimum this is what they should have done.

Let's take a look at the paragraph your Liveworld coworker posted (I previously posted my dissection of this paragraph but you peabrains couldn't come up with a response):

Risk-Based Holds. PayPal, in its sole discretion, may place a hold on any or all of the payments you receive when PayPal believes there may be a high level of risk associated with you, your Account, or any or all of your transactions.

THIS IS ALREADY FULL OF LIES. "MAY PLACE A HOLD"??? A LIE -- THEY *WILL* PLACE A HOLD.

PayPal’s determination may be based on a number of different factors and PayPal may rely on information it receives from its third party partners such as eBay.

AGAIN, MORE LIES. PEOPLE WHO HAVE 100% POSITIVE FEEDBACK ON EBAY ARE GETTING THEIR MONEY HELD.

Educate yourself, folks - please!!

Raven 

AND YOU SHILLS GO **bleep** YOURSELVES, PLEASE!!!! Now you go right ahead and delete this message but not before I've taken a screencapture and put it on my blog (which has garnered an incredible number of followers and supporters in this effort).

Login to Me Too

terese2
Contributor
Contributor

Good point, ebills.  Though it is everyone's responsibility to read before they sign anything, reading the Terms and Conditions for Paypal DOES NOT PROTECT YOU.  That's because  Paypal's application of their Terms and Conditions is UNETHICAL.  As I have read through the postings here, I have been alarmed and angered by the pack of lies being told to consumers by Paypal.  It doesn't matter how much good feedback you have, how many sales, how few disputes--their application of their usurious policy of holding people's money for 21 days is widespread, undeserved, and unfair--even in light of their own Terms and Conditions!!

Vote with your keystrokes, folks.  DUMP PAYPAL!!

Login to Me Too

Raveninred
Contributor
Contributor

@terese2 wrote:

Good point, ebills.  Though it is everyone's responsibility to read before they sign anything, reading the Terms and Conditions for Paypal DOES NOT PROTECT YOU.  That's because  Paypal's application of their Terms and Conditions is UNETHICAL.  As I have read through the postings here, I have been alarmed and angered by the pack of lies being told to consumers by Paypal.  It doesn't matter how much good feedback you have, how many sales, how few disputes--their application of their usurious policy of holding people's money for 21 days is widespread, undeserved, and unfair--even in light of their own Terms and Conditions!!

Vote with your keystrokes, folks.  DUMP PAYPAL!!

Oh, terese2,

You should know, the application of Paypals Terms and Conditions is not unethical. In fact, it's more than ethical. It's legal, binding, and covered in verbage so you know exactly what's happening.

And it's hard to say you didn't know when every time you sign in to PayPal and there's a change, there's a notice before you get to your dashboard. and When you get to your dashboard, on the right, is a little box that says "Policy Updates". They go back to 2007. If you didn't like it when it came out, you should have left then and stopped complaining because by continuing to use PayPal, you gave consent to the new T&C.

By calling them unethical, they COULD prosecute you for slander. And would win.

So you vote with those keystrokes!! Vote yourself some business acumen somewhere else!! You go, you!!

Login to Me Too

quin-c-greg
Contributor
Contributor

So Paypal is doing this ridiculous 21 day hold thing. I still had to ship my package, so I checked the Pay Pal site, to see if I could use my "Pending" status fund to pay for shipping, if I used the Pay Pal/Ebay Shipping Label print option. It confirmed that yes, I could. So, I proceeded to purchase my label and ship.

They charged my bank account. I am now overdrafted, owing 10 times what the Shipping cost me. My husband recently lost his job (Which is why I had resorted to the desperate measure of selling on Ebay, anyway.) I don't have sufficient funds to fix this, until Pay Pal decides my money no longer needs to be held. And without money I can't ship the packages i owe people. I am just **bleep**ed, and I have no idea how to fix it. I have sent Pay Pal multiple emails, sent Ebay 2 emails, and called both customer service outlets. I actually called PayPal three times, and each of those times, the customer service rep had a different explaination and solution than the others.

It seems shady.

Who should I contact for help, because I can't just let this go, I have a baby to care for, and this huge drain on my account (with no income) is not going to work.

Login to Me Too

Raveninred
Contributor
Contributor

@quin-c-greg wrote:

So Paypal is doing this ridiculous 21 day hold thing. I still had to ship my package, so I checked the Pay Pal site, to see if I could use my "Pending" status fund to pay for shipping, if I used the Pay Pal/Ebay Shipping Label print option. It confirmed that yes, I could. So, I proceeded to purchase my label and ship.

They charged my bank account. I am now overdrafted, owing 10 times what the Shipping cost me. My husband recently lost his job (Which is why I had resorted to the desperate measure of selling on Ebay, anyway.) I don't have sufficient funds to fix this, until Pay Pal decides my money no longer needs to be held. And without money I can't ship the packages i owe people. I am just **bleep**ed, and I have no idea how to fix it. I have sent Pay Pal multiple emails, sent Ebay 2 emails, and called both customer service outlets. I actually called PayPal three times, and each of those times, the customer service rep had a different explaination and solution than the others.

It seems shady.

Who should I contact for help, because I can't just let this go, I have a baby to care for, and this huge drain on my account (with no income) is not going to work.

quin-c-greg  - hello and welcome to the boards and into one of the hottest and quickest moving topics here.

Sorry to hear about your problem.

Have you read this thread?

Yes, PayPal is holding funds for 21 days. That is standard practice at this time. It is an enromous pain in everyone's touckus, but it is the state of business and is stated clearly in the Terms and Conditions.

I'm not sure about the using of funds that are not technically yours yet - maybe someone other than me could address this for her?

I do know that trying to contact Customer Service for PayPal thorugh e-mail is not worth your time. I know that you can get to a real person thorugh e-mail on e-Bay once you jump thorugh a few hoops and explain your problem. But for the moment, let's concentrate on helping you get to the correct Customer Service for PayPal.

I don't know whether or not you have a case, as I stated before - I am not familiar with that particular rule, but I can tell you how to get right to the higher levels of customer service.

Sign into your PayPal account as you normally would. Click on the "Contact Us" link you see, and you will generate a WEB PIN and a Direct Number to Customer Service; these are good for one hour, so if you're not going to use them right away, or need to generate them again, just follow the same procedure again.

Once you call in with that WEB PIN and identify that the account is yours, explain your problem, and see if they can do anything for you. I'm not sure if they would be able to, but this is the level of customer service that is going to be able to work with you and solve problems. By using the WEB PIN and this Direct  line infor Customer Service, you're getting Customer Service Representatives who - to me - have always been or seemed very well trained, eager to help, and because of the WEB PIN, have some kind of access to your account so they can see the problem you're dealing with and help things along. And don't be afraid to ask for a Supervisor if you don't feel you're being given the level of service you deserve. And if they tell you the Supervisor will "call you back" - NEVER take that for an answer. That's a big paperweight in the garbage, right there. Make sure you get someone on the line - the Supervisor's Supervisor will do just fine, thank you.

But, gotta say, the money technically wasn't yours yet...so they had every right to go to your default payment which would have been....I'm guessing your bank? Instead of your PayPal account? Sorry, as I said, I am not fully informed about that particular aspect of the sale.

Wishing you luck.

Raven

Login to Me Too

7yearseller
Contributor
Contributor

@Raveninred wrote:

@quin-c-greg wrote:

It seems shady.

quin-c-greg  - hello and welcome to the boards and into one of the hottest and quickest moving topics here.

Sorry to hear about your problem.

Have you read this thread?

Yes, PayPal is holding funds for 21 days. That is standard practice at this time. It is an enromous pain in everyone's touckus, but it is the state of business and is stated clearly in the Terms and Conditions.

I'm not sure about the using of funds that are not technically yours yet - maybe someone other than me could address this for her?

I do know that trying to contact Customer Service for PayPal thorugh e-mail is not worth your time. I know that you can get to a real person thorugh e-mail on e-Bay once you jump thorugh a few hoops and explain your problem. But for the moment, let's concentrate on helping you get to the correct Customer Service for PayPal.

I don't know whether or not you have a case, as I stated before - I am not familiar with that particular rule, but I can tell you how to get right to the higher levels of customer service.

Sign into your PayPal account as you normally would. Click on the "Contact Us" link you see, and you will generate a WEB PIN and a Direct Number to Customer Service; these are good for one hour, so if you're not going to use them right away, or need to generate them again, just follow the same procedure again.

Once you call in with that WEB PIN and identify that the account is yours, explain your problem, and see if they can do anything for you. I'm not sure if they would be able to, but this is the level of customer service that is going to be able to work with you and solve problems. By using the WEB PIN and this Direct  line infor Customer Service, you're getting Customer Service Representatives who - to me - have always been or seemed very well trained, eager to help, and because of the WEB PIN, have some kind of access to your account so they can see the problem you're dealing with and help things along. And don't be afraid to ask for a Supervisor if you don't feel you're being given the level of service you deserve. And if they tell you the Supervisor will "call you back" - NEVER take that for an answer. That's a big paperweight in the garbage, right there. Make sure you get someone on the line - the Supervisor's Supervisor will do just fine, thank you.

But, gotta say, the money technically wasn't yours yet...so they had every right to go to your default payment which would have been....I'm guessing your bank? Instead of your PayPal account? Sorry, as I said, I am not fully informed about that particular aspect of the sale.

Wishing you luck.

Raven

Hi Raven,

The thing is that Paypal did state that the amount for printing shipping labels through them or eBay could come from the held funds. That would have been a tremendous help, since then no one would have to come of pocket and items can be shipped quickly like eBay preaches. Since they did say that, it is not right for them to not follow through. It puts a major trust (of Paypal) issue out there for all of us to consider.

I don't know about others, but my buyers are not going to understand that they paid who they thought to be me through the Paypal venue and I don't have the money to ship? I had to pull my auctions because I was afraid someone would buy a piece of furniture I could not ship. My shipping labels can't be printed through Paypal or eBay...but sadly enough, that IS the way the two want it. They want to be able to have control so they can charge that percentage. But, I digress..Sorry...Paypal information said we could use the amount it would take to print the shipping label, yet on the girl on here who said they took it from her checking, they reneged on their deal, didn't they?? And on how many others??

Let's try to find another payment method not owned by eBay or Paypal. I have not checked, but I imagine we won't find any that eBay lists that they will accept that they do not own. Of course, maybe if we pay the annual fee for ProPay, even if the eBay umbrella covers that as well, the fee is enough that they are making money from us there and so it is okay with them for us to take credit cards and ship (without holding our $) since the other monies we might decide to pay for Propay with are coming in to them from former eBay sellers who used Paypal.

I hope they see a major decline in sales because of the sellers being on here to try to find out what they can do and not enough time to list...of course, so many can't ship, maybe they are not listing...

Maybe this IS the way they are getting rid of the small seller who they think means nothing compared to the large companies. I think they just might be in for a rude awakening if all smaller sellers went elsewhere.

If we could get enough GOOD sellers with good records to join together and sell on our very own website not controlled by anyone (other than high morals and good sense), we could have hundreds of thousands of items with each taking care of their own sales, payments and shipments with no feedback ratings. It could work. Those who are inclined to be less than honest will cull themselves out because with time buyers won't buy from them. The good ones will remain. What do you think about that??? I have a website and sadly enough, Paypal is my payment form there, so I have to change that. I also do not have enough varied items to draw a lot of traffic like eBay does, but with wide variety in a website, the traffic would be high.

Login to Me Too

Ag3ntSmyth
Contributor
Contributor

new to the forums here.

but I just received a HELD payment email today.

Just wondering who is to blame for this.. is it the BUYER or is it just PAYPAL messing about.

i told item to this person on ebay, i left them feedback, they left me positive feedback. so why now has the payment been given HELD status.

Thanks

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.