HORRIBLE IDEA TO HOLD FUNDS FOR 21 DAYS!!!

gearhed78
Contributor
Contributor

Holding funds from sellers until the buyer leaves feedback is the worst idea EVER! Since when does Paypal become an authority on buyer satisfaction?? A smooth transaction is all that I wanted from Paypal. If they are going to hold funds, then they should make it very clear BEFORE you use them!  Keeping my money in their account for 21 days is a HUGE disadvantage of using Paypal. Stick to transferring funds,not trying to be a satisfaction authority!

Login to Me Too
6,286 REPLIES 6,286

saintrex176157
Contributor
Contributor

Please read comments before you post..The issues here are people sending the item, getting delivery confirmation from delivery service and buyer and STILL having Pay Pal **bleep** them for 21 days or until the seller calls them. There is NEVER EVER a reason a seller should have to call pay pal to claim their own money...I had to call them and why ? becuase the buyer left no feedback,,I emailed ebay and paypal 3 times with buyer confirmation of satisfaction and delivery confirmation from UPS,,,and they show that they were going to hold MY MONEY for 21 days?  B.S. I did my part and they sure as **bleep** took their cut before they did anything...pay pal is unethical and I will make sure I tell as many peol as possibe , not to use them ...

Login to Me Too

Linkoi
Contributor
Contributor

Than tell me oh genus; why is it affecting me someone who BUYS goods with MONEY deposited into paypal so she can make money to put into a actual bank?

Login to Me Too

ocpoolman2000
Contributor
Contributor

Go back to the country you crawled from;  your grammer and spelling tell us your story.  The title reads "I AM AN IDIOT".

Login to Me Too

lbb5757
Contributor
Contributor

OMG, THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT I had hoped to avoid! you are so right too...You certainly opened my mind on this subject.a special thanx for putting this info out here,& in such a way that, this 1st time visitor didn't miss something as important as this.**bleep** fire the primary reason i came to paypal was  just so such a thing wouldn't happen(how _ss-of-9!!!)  :smiley

Login to Me Too

LazerTurkey
Contributor
Contributor

PayPal put my money on hold a couple months ago. They had no basis to do so. I had one claim filed against me and I refunded it within hours of getting the notice in my mail, PayPal never had to get involved. This was for a transaction under $10. I had 2 negative feedbacks on the eBay account I'd had for YEARS. I've been an eBay member since it's first year, and PayPal's as well. I remember when they gave us $5 for opening an account, that's how long I've been dealing with them! I do not sell in a "high risk" category (usually toys and collectibles) and it's very rare that an item I sell is worth more than $100. In fact, most of my items sell for under $20. I didn't fit any of their criteria for the forced 21 day hold.

After much wavering and thought, I closed my eBay Storefront yesterday afternoon. Like many others I cannot afford to pay for shipping upfront. I do not charge extra shipping fees, even still sometimes the things I sell cost more to ship than the item itself cost. For example, sending a model horse priority to Australia cost me $45 and the horse itself sold for $30! I finally admitted to myself that I'd never get a decent cushion of saved funds so I could cover shipping while I waited for my payouts. This morning, less than 24 hours after I closed the store, I got an email from PayPal telling me that they had lifted the 21 day hold.

So enlighten me, why did this happen? I haven't sold a single thing since they put that hold on, yet they claim the hold was lifted for good performance. I guess sitting on my tush is good performance. The only thing I can figure is that since I'm not running a store any longer, the potential dollar signs vanished from PayPal's eyes.

Has this exact scenario happened to anyone else?

Login to Me Too

eco123eco
Contributor
Contributor

I have been with this controversey from day 1.  I watched it grow from page 5 to where it is now.  Now I'm starting to see responses from buyers defending this entire 21 day money holding scam.  Okay, I have heard enough buyers.  Sellers are getting scammed here. I don't care about your side.  Tell me where you can buy something and not have to pay for it for 21 days?  Tell me one store that does this?  Just one store where you can walk in, take what you want, and tell them you will come back in 21 days to pay?  This type of store does no exist!

Pay-Pal is holding our money for 21 days, and they are collecting interest on this money.   So you tell me buyers what bank holds your money and does not pay interest?  There are none it does not happen.  That is twice now that buyers go up and sellers go down.  This is exactly what is happening on Ebay.  Buyers are being protected and buying more now, but sellers are leaving and going elsewhere.  For the most part it is loyal sellers who have been with Ebay since the start. 

Now Ebay is taking a loss in the Stock Market, this matter has began to hurt them.  Other auction companies are starting to grow and gain strength over Ebay and Pay-Pal.  Now to avoid this Pay-Pal has incorporated a new way of releasing funds that has no policy in writing.  What is this policy?  Quit selling, quit using Pay-Pal, and they will release your money to keep your business.  I just love this stuff.  We are winning this fight and they are deploying their best to stop us and slow us down. 

Come on people we are slowing down here time to pick the pace up again.  I walked us through the history of America in the start of this matter.  I rallied the forces against this "HORRIBLE  IDEA" and now that we are rallying for a vbictory here we have to keep the pressure on them.  We are American, we are not crooks, we are the little guy, small town folks, and farmers, but no voice in this country is bigger than ours.  We out number any big city slickers 10 to 1.  This is our Country and we are not going to be pushed around.  Fight, keep the pressure up, they are losing, we are winning.  Look how quick they are changing things from person to person now.  They are trying to buy us off, pay for us to quit fighting, to just give up.   They are buying us off, making us like them, taking our honor, dignity, and values, of the character we hold true as Americans.  Just because they have given you a bone doesn't mean they have quit planning to put you to sleep at the Kennel.  Are we going to give up, just walk away now cause we are given some small victory by Pay-Pal?  Why are we here?  It took all of us together to get this small victory for you, so why leave us to continue this fight cause you got your bone? 

We are Americans, we have saved the world 2 times.  We do not give up, we do not surrender, we do not run away!  We stand and walk through the Valley of the Shadow of Death and we are not afraid because everything in that Valley fears us!  That is what this is all about.  People are giving up, quitting on us as we walk here and talk here.  Pay-Pal is buying some of us out by releasing our funds.  Now some of us turn our backs on our countrymen and women who have brought us to the brink of victory.  I am sad to see this happen in here, it says that even small town America, the little guy and the farmer can be corruptted by Big City Money.  So while our sons and daughters die for American ideas we give up at home.  This is a hard fight it has many turns and tricks to it, it goes up  and down, back and forth, and many will fall to the way side.  But my Honor, my Values, my Dignity, and my Pride as an American is not for sale!  I will not abandon my countrymen and women to be corruptted by the mighty dollar.  If Pay-Pal wants to steal interest off money that is not theirs that is a crime and I will oppose and resist it.  If Pay-Pal wants to assume I am a crook and hurt those of us who are honest small town, little guy, and farmers, as sellers that made Ebay and Pay-Pal, then it is time that Pay-Pal and Ebay got a dose of who we are in this country.  We are American's, we are not for sale, we are here to the end, and this fight shall go on!

"UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL"

Login to Me Too

mrs5pennies
Contributor
Contributor

I certainly agree with you.  I know lots of people are contacting Congressmen and other representatives.  Last week, I printed out 138 pages (it took 3 pages for each blog page), along with a letter from me, to the US Attorney General, Eric Holder.  The package has been delivered.  Here is a copy of the letter I sent.  If there's anything that can be done, the US Attorney can do it....................

Office of the Attorney General

U.S. Department of Justice

950 Pennsylvania Avenue , NW

Washington, D.C. 20530-0001

Dear Mr. Eric Holder:

As more and more people are affected by the financial collapse of this country, loss of jobs running rampant, the unemployment rate exceeding 10%, many of these people are turning to alternative ways to make money to sustain their families. Many people are trying to sell unwanted items on Ebay, the online auction giant.

Ebay requires payments be made through Paypal, a company owned by Ebay. Unfortunately, Paypal has recently instituted a 21 day hold on all payments received through them for Ebay sales. Although Paypal pays themselves the fees owed to them immediately, they hold all other funds until (1) feedback is received by Ebay – you have to tell Ebay that feedback has been received, or (2) 21 days have passed with no issues. (Telling Ebay or Paypal that feedback has been received still doesn't guarantee that they will release your monies.)

Payments received by Paypal include shipping costs required to mail items to purchasers. Most people don't have these funds just laying around doing nothing. In order to ship the item, they need the money. If they can't ship until the funds are released, they run the risk of losing the sale altogether.

I know, personally, one individual who lives on disability payments of less than $700 per month. Trying to make ends meet, he occasionally sells on Ebay. Most of his items sell quickly, but in order to mail the items, he must borrow the shipping costs from friends and family. This doesn't seem quite fair.

Let's suppose you buy a car. Are you permitted to take the car unless payment has been made to the dealership? No. Suppose you go to Sears and buy a washer and dryer. Will they deliver it to you without payment? No. When you buy online, do you first have to pay for the item before they will ship it out? Yes. There is nowhere in this world where you can walk out of a store with item in hand unless the store has been paid. Yet, Paypal and Ebay have placed themselves above all others and say, the seller does not get paid until the item is received and there are no complaints.

I don't see how, legally, Ebay and Paypal can do this. I am writing this letter to you on behalf of the millions of sellers on Ebay each and every day, who try to make a living, yet are denied that right.

As the Attorney General for the United States of America, I certainly hope that you can check into the legalities of these actions. I know Ebay and Paypal have probably found some loopholes and are working within those loopholes, but it's time those loopholes are closed for good.

When a person sells something, they need to be paid for that item. Before they ship an item, they need to be paid for it. A seller on Ebay should not have to relinquish their rights, just to sell. They are not paid interest for the 21 days that Paypal holds their monies, which is, in itself, extremely unjust. They are violating every person's right to be paid for something they've sold.

This needs to be investigated. This is as urgent as any other financial institution's underhanded tactics. It needs to be dealt with immediately.

I am attaching many pages of complaints which have been posted on the Paypal Community website. You can see for yourself that these complaints are all for the same reason.

I can only hope that something IS done about this, quickly......But, in the meantime, please continue your complaints with your Congressman and other representatives.....

Login to Me Too

terese2
Contributor
Contributor

This is a great post.  Thanks!

Complaining loudly about Paypal's egregiously unfair business practices is a good way to draw negative attention to them.

Leaving Paypal is also good.  After all, they can't make any bank interest on a deposit of $0, no matter how long they hold it!

Login to Me Too

Raveninred
Contributor
Contributor

Jebezebus.

PayPal and eBay do NOT force you to ONLY use PayPal as the ONLY source of Payment - as I have pointed out before - many times...

Please check out e-bay's own **bleep** page on what they accept, allowing that yes, PayPal is at the top of the list, but by no means the ONLY thing on the list. And each item clearly dlineates what is covered and what is not in case of a dispute.

Do some **bleep** homework. It totally irks me when people are so self-righteous and indignant when all they have to do is read ONE PAGE and see that this one little sentence is a lie - a falsehood - an outright mislead and it's really getting to me now that I know it's one poster in particular (terese2) perpetuating this lie.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/pay/accepted-payment-methods.html

Link is : Selecting Payment Methods from eBay's own site.

Login to Me Too

eco123eco
Contributor
Contributor

Freedom does not come when you go from mass corruption to individual corruption,

From big City America to Small Town America.

But it does come when Small Town America Frees itself from Big City Corruption!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.