HORRIBLE IDEA TO HOLD FUNDS FOR 21 DAYS!!!

gearhed78
Contributor
Contributor

Holding funds from sellers until the buyer leaves feedback is the worst idea EVER! Since when does Paypal become an authority on buyer satisfaction?? A smooth transaction is all that I wanted from Paypal. If they are going to hold funds, then they should make it very clear BEFORE you use them!  Keeping my money in their account for 21 days is a HUGE disadvantage of using Paypal. Stick to transferring funds,not trying to be a satisfaction authority!

Login to Me Too
6,286 REPLIES 6,286

framinglady
Contributor
Contributor

I understand there was an agreement; however, I have had this same paypal account with no issues whatsoever for several years!   I have forgotten what was in the agreement that I would have read years ago.  You are missing my point.  If you do not have a problem history with eBay or PP, then why do they have the right to do this?

Login to Me Too

readuseragreeme
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

10.4 Actions by PayPal - Holds.

Risk-Based Holds. PayPal, in its sole discretion, may place a hold on any or all of the payments you receive when PayPal believes there may be a high level of risk associated with you, your Account, or any or all of your transactions. PayPal’s determination may be based on a number of different factors and PayPal may rely on information it receives from its third party partners such as eBay. If PayPal places a hold on a payment, the funds will appear in your “Pending Balance” and the payment status will show as “Completed - Funds not yet available”. If PayPal places a hold on any or all of the payments you receive PayPal will provide you with notice of our actions. PayPal will release the hold on any payment after 21 Days from the date the payment was received into your Account unless you receive a Dispute, Claim, Chargeback, or Reversal or PayPal has taken another action permitted under this Section 10

Again thats why they have the right.

Login to Me Too

framinglady
Contributor
Contributor

You obviously work for PP.

You are not understanding.  I have been a member for many years, without problems.  There are no issues with my account, present or past.   I have no derogatory history that would warrany a risk level.  They are determining this at their own discretion.  It is not right.

Login to Me Too

readuseragreeme
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

@framinglady wrote:

You are not understanding.  I have been a member for many years, without problems.  There are no issues with my account, present or past.   I have no derogatory history that would warrany a risk level.  They are determining this at their own discretion.  It is not right.

Nope not a Paypal employee ask Olivia or Andy Smiley Wink

It may not be right, never said it was.  They have criteria they follow for assessing risks, paypal is not obligated to share that criteria with you.  Find a different source for money transfer if you are disgruntles with Paypal.

Login to Me Too

Sparklements
Contributor
Contributor

@readuseragreeme wrote:

@framinglady wrote:

Nope not a Paypal employee ask Olivia or Andy Smiley Wink

It may not be right, never said it was.  They have criteria they follow for assessing risks, paypal is not obligated to share that criteria with you.  Find a different source for money transfer if you are disgruntles with Paypal.

No, you're a Liveworld employee hired by PP to bully customers off these boards.

Login to Me Too

Raveninred
Contributor
Contributor

@framinglady wrote:

I understand there was an agreement; however, I have had this same paypal account with no issues whatsoever for several years!   I have forgotten what was in the agreement that I would have read years ago.  You are missing my point.  If you do not have a problem history with eBay or PP, then why do they have the right to do this?

Because every company in the world has the right to change their terms and conditions at any time and likely sent you something or gave you a button to click that you agreed to it, and there you are. It doesn't matter that you're the most wonderful seller in the history of sellers in the whole wide world - and that's why this thread is nothing but people griping for the wrong reasons.

The terms and conditions changed. Read them. It's outlined verly -I say VERY - clearly. It's not a monopoly, it's not a scam, it's not a rip-off, it's a business practice in BAD economic times where THEY're getting ripped off far more often than you are, and have to protect themselves.

Sorry it upsets people, but - it's THERE, in BLACK AND WHITE, Better Business Bureau, Attorney General - these people aren't going to do anything for people here who SIGNED the Terms and Conditions.

I'm sorry - I get really upset about this - people are not adults about this. If you want to do business - then educate yourself about the conditions in whihc you're going to do bisiness.

And by the way - the T&C for eBay are NOT the same as they are for PayPal.

Come on, people - read a little before you vent about how PP is RIPPING YOU OFF.

Login to Me Too

terese2
Contributor
Contributor
As another writer observed, you are missing the point, which is that Paypalnis arbitrarily holding funds for 21 days from sellers who pose no risk whatsoever. That is NOT part of the agreement! particularly when sellers have credi cards or bank accounts backing them up. This is outrageous bullying behavior on Paypal's part, and is best responded to by disengaging altogether from Paypal, which I will do as soon as I can get access to MY money!
Login to Me Too

Raveninred
Contributor
Contributor

@terese2 wrote:
As another writer observed, you are missing the point, which is that Paypalnis arbitrarily holding funds for 21 days from sellers who pose no risk whatsoever. That is NOT part of the agreement! Particularly when sellers have credit cards or bank accounts backing them up. This is outrageous bullying behavior on Paypal's part, and is best responded to by disengaging altogether from PayPal, which I will do as soon as I can get access to MY money!

You signed/clicked off on the updated Terms and Conditions that said they could hold your funds for 21 days. That's the aggravating part. 315 pages of people getting mad when the rules and regulations a right there for you to read. Everything you need to have for  dispute regulation are right there lined out for you. And eBay isn't forcing you to use PayPal as the only form of payment (although I doubt they would like me to point that out) but that whole list of who you can use, and what's covered and what isn't and what's covered in a Seller's Agreement and a Buyer's Agreement and Protections are all lined out for you.

And if you're taking the time to BE in business, it behooves you to be informed of what the process is and what the rules are, and what your options are, and instead of doing this 315 page pile on of "PayPal is teh evil" and NOT educating yourself is not PayPal's fault.  If you just click a button when it pops up sitting "new terms and conditions" and don't bother reading, then it's on you, not PayPal.

They are not saying anything about the worth of any Seller or Buyer over another, they are protecting themselves in treacherous business conditions where THEY are getting scammed left and right, and maybe if everyone calmed down and just let them work through some protection issues, this matter might resolve itself, but you have NO idea of the money PayPal looses to scammers all the time - these boards are FULL of fake e-mails sent that look and sound like legitimate e-mails sent on PayPal's behalf, and aren't, and they're losing money - at least you KNOW you're going to get yours after a certain time period.

And if you have a legitimate problem OTHER than being peeved about the new 21-day rule, then get a Web PIN and call the personalized hotline, and discuss it like a rational human being.

But don't complain because you didn't take the time to educate yourself.

Ebay accepts other forms of payment - I can provide a link - it's pretty doggone specific, and you ought to know that certain items will NOT be covered under Seller's protection by PayPal - that's in the Terms and Conditions as well. 

There is a new Policy Update   Effective Date: Jul 12, 2011, you may want to check that out. There was a Policy Update on May 24 - that's a big one you should read. This page also covers all updates to the original agreement going back to 2007. And the all the Legal Agreements for every part of PayPal are on this page here (default is The United States - a drop down list will show agreements for other countries).

Everything you need to know is there - if you haven't read those things - the onus is on YOU, not PayPal. They've covered their legal culpability by posting these notices in EVERY ACCOUNT USER'S PAGES. Brush up, and shut up.

I hate to sound so callous, but really - you're complaining and threatening to sue - when they've done everything legally. If you didn't take the time to research, I have a very hard time feeling sorry for you. YES, it TOTALLY HOOVERS LIKE A VACUUM that you have to wait 21 days for your money.  I can't agree with you more. It's a pain, but unfortunately, with unscrupulous people scamming PayPal, scamming Buyers, scamming Sellers - you tell me exactly WHAT they should do that would affect EVERYONE ACROSS THE BOARD THE SAME, because that is what they're legally culpable to do. They can't play favorites to you or me - that's illegal. And they have to protect themselves at the same time.

Still mad? Go to eBay and check out their other options for payment - I won't provide that link, simply because it's a different company. Just because they're owned by the same parent company doesn't means all the rules are the same. And MAKE SURE you read eBay's Terms and Conditions and Legal Agreement's too. I mean, quit B**** and either accept the fact that legally, they're covered and within their rights, and you agreed to it. And PayPal is NOT arbitrarily holding funds.

If you read these boards with any amount of regularity, you would see that 1 out of 2 transactions result in a dispute and/or a fraud claim. How are they supposed to make ANY money at all? You - personally - are NOT being singled out. Unfortunately, the losers and creeps have made business difficult, and PayPal is protecting you, them, and yes - trying to make some $$ too - because they don't work as a charity. They're a BUSINESS. And as BUSINESS gets more complex, so do the rules.

Login to Me Too

readuseragreeme
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Raven that was a great post thank you.  Smiley Very Happy

Login to Me Too

Raveninred
Contributor
Contributor

@readuseragreeme wrote:

Raven that was a great post thank you.  Smiley Very Happy

S'anks. Trying to keep m'cool, but it's killin me.  Smiley Very Happy

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.