HORRIBLE IDEA TO HOLD FUNDS FOR 21 DAYS!!!

gearhed78
Contributor
Contributor

Holding funds from sellers until the buyer leaves feedback is the worst idea EVER! Since when does Paypal become an authority on buyer satisfaction?? A smooth transaction is all that I wanted from Paypal. If they are going to hold funds, then they should make it very clear BEFORE you use them!  Keeping my money in their account for 21 days is a HUGE disadvantage of using Paypal. Stick to transferring funds,not trying to be a satisfaction authority!

Login to Me Too
6,286 REPLIES 6,286

profdata
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Holds are released within 48 hours (usually sooner) of the buyer leaving feedback OR the online viewable D/C showing delivery.

If you use ebay or paypal shipping Paypal then already has the D/C number.  If you use a different service, then you will have to imput the tracking number in the details section of the paypal payment.

Login to Me Too

bob1966models
New Community Member

PAYPAL IS DOING THIS  FOR NO OTHER REASON BUT THE MONITERY GAIN, THAT EXTRA 21 DAYS EARNS THEN THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS  INTREST FROM THE BANKS. THINK ABOUT HOW MANY PEOPLE THEY ARE DOING THIS TO AND HOW MUCH INTREST THAY ARE MAKING. THE OTHER THING IS 21 DAYS AND THEN IF YOU GET A CHECK FOR THAT MONEY IT TAKES ANOTHER 1-2 WEEKS. WHAT I AM DOING IS IN THE SELLING AD I AM GOING TO EXPLAIN TO THE BUYER WHY THEY HAVE TO WAIT 21 DAY LONGER BEFORE I SHIP THEIR ITEM.PAY PAL IS THE CAUSE OF THIS. I LAUGHED WHEN I READ THE NOTR FROM THEM, (EVEN THOUGH WE ARE HOLDING THE MONEY 21 DAYS BE SURE TO SHIP THE ITEM  ASAP.  ARE THEY KIDDING ME.?

Login to Me Too

Raveninred
Contributor
Contributor

@dannyk48 wrote:

I was using Pay Pal to process payments on my furniture website. Never had any problems until I had an exceptionally good month in Jan. 2010. After that month PP Risk Management sent me letters wanting to see proof of delivery which I promptly sent them. A few weeks later they notified me that they were going to keep 7% of my gross sales until I had accumulated $30,000.00 in a operating reserve account. I had no chargebacks on the website and had 100% feedback on E Bay. After doing this for a few months and seeing my profits dwindle considerably I removed Pay Pal as an option for payment on my website. The last transaction was done in August of 2010 and by this time they were holding $9,083.53 of my money. They told me they would have to hold these funds for an additional 180 days in case of chareback. In Decenber I did have a charge back of $1,066.00. They still had over $9,000.00 of my money and I had no seller activity since the previous August. Keep in mind I was not even accepting Pay Pal as a form of payment. When I talked to risk management they told me that the money that was supposed to be refunded to me in February of this year would have to be held another 180 days. They had more than enough of my money to deduct the chargeback and refund the difference. When asked why they couldn't do that the agent said "It's our rules". Luckily I have a real credit card company that handles my transactions and am a member of the Better Business Bureau in my community with A rating. I wonder how many small businesses have gone belly up due to self serving institutions who are not in fact banks but make their own rules concerning peoples livley hoods.

Yeah, I'm going to say  either you got scammed by someone OTHER than PayPal, or this story isn't quite told in full. This isn't legal business practice for anyone, PayPal could not do this even if they wanted to, and you just don't have enough facts to support your accusation that they're holding over $9,000 of your money "in case there are chargebacks". That's just...not true. You're accusing PayPal of holding $9,000 of your funds since August 2010, and you haven't been able to retrieve your funds. Something doesn't work with that story.

And if it IS true, get on the phone with customer service (not an e-mail) and get a supervisor on the line and tell your story and see how fast you get your funds, because that is just utter bullpucky.

Raven

Login to Me Too

SistaJewels
Contributor
Contributor

Dear Raven,

DannyK was telling the truth. For the level that they sold items for, it makes sense. Over $1k was held on my account, for OVER a year..the Oddest part = paypal would blame eBay for the hold, eBay would blame paypal for the hold..it was a never-ending circle. Fortunately, I made enough $ , to where it did not render me bankrupt. That is not true for many sellers and it did not lessen the Anger of the injustice of it all. With as many people that have been affected by this "rule', you'd think that someone would be able to slam and dunk this 'rule' with a Law that is in place to protect us ? I have no clue. If I had TIME, I would have persued it as far as obtaining an attorney at the time. Unfortunately, my days already need several more hours in them, to keep a decent living up, to live and not be late on any bills. IF the amount were $9k, I know that I would have taken paypal to task, legally and if they ever hold funds on my account again, I will have no other alternative. Not a threat, just fiscal sense.

Login to Me Too

gwiss7
New Community Member

On Saturday, June 4, 2011 Paypal advised me that they would put a 21 day hold on my payments effective July 3, 2011 based on a review of my account. 

Today, I talked to customer service and  asked if he could cite ONE REASON/EXAMPLE that may give Paypal cause to take this action. He COULD NOT and he explained that this was a general policy because people ship empty boxes.

I have been with Ebay/Paypal for nearly 3 years and had NEVER a charge back, claim or payment reversal.  This is an insult on my integrity because in my line of business ethics are taken seriously. What are they doing contradicting themselves?  Hope they have a supervisor call me back as promised.

Login to Me Too

profdata
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

holds are usually placed on ellers that have less than 100 feedback, or less than 20 DSR's in last 12 months.

If you had stopped selling and then started up again, the holds may still apply to you.

Login to Me Too

Raveninred
Contributor
Contributor

@gwiss7 wrote:

On Saturday, June 4, 2011 Paypal advised me that they would put a 21 day hold on my payments effective July 3, 2011 based on a review of my account. 

Today, I talked to customer service and  asked if he could cite ONE REASON/EXAMPLE that may give Paypal cause to take this action. He COULD NOT and he explained that this was a general policy because people ship empty boxes.

I have been with Ebay/Paypal for nearly 3 years and had NEVER a charge back, claim or payment reversal.  This is an insult on my integrity because in my line of business ethics are taken seriously. What are they doing contradicting themselves?  Hope they have a supervisor call me back as promised.

One hint: NEVER accept the line: "A supervisor will call you back." That's CSR-speak for "I don't want to deal with you anymore. Either get the Supervisor on the line then, or demand to speak to the Supervisor's Supervisor. If they give your the runaround, make sure you got that CSR's name at the beginning of the conversation, so when you call back in ten minutes and DO speak with a supervisor, you canmnetion that CSR by name.

No supervisor anywhere is ever going to call you back. You have to be proactive and go after wghat you need for the resolution you want. Not being hostile or anything, just calm, clear and precise about exactly what needs to happen. And INSIST on that Supervisor then and there. And get their name BEFORE the whole conversation goes to crap, like "Hi this is So-and so-calling, who is helping me today?" "MAry? Well, mary, let me explain my situatuion, and see if you can help me...And then you've got Mary's name down, and when she can't do more for you, exacllate up the food chain.

Make sure you're using your WEB PIN and your Special Call Center Phone Number. Gets you better service at a higher level.

Good luck.

Login to Me Too

Alberto_Odor
Contributor
Contributor

This is outrageous and unacceptable. You already take a commission on the payments I get through PayPal, to which I agreed when I signed for my account, but having my earnings on hold is not acceptable.

Your message says:

>>>> We reviewed your account and determined that there's a relatively higher than average risk of future transaction issues (such as claims, or chargebacks, or payment reversals).

Well, I have never had a claim, chargeback or payment reversal. If I have, can you send me a list of dates, transactions, client names or anything to prove that? I guess you can't.  I do not sell through eBay, I am a professional translator and when I get a payment, my clients have already verified the job I did and accepted it fully. So, If you came to the conclusio0n of me being risky to PayPal through the evaluation of a human analyst, you can fire him/her for a job poorly done. If you arrived to that conclusion through an algorithm, well you have to review and redo that algorithm.

For years I have been using PayPal to both buy a lot of things and to sell translation services and I had always thought of PayPal as a good serious service. Now you are making it "cheap" and as abusive as banking institutions are.

Review my account, release the hold and answer to this message or I will have to look for an alternative service, and believe me, you will be hearing the same from a lot of people, and the news services will be delighted to hear about it also.

Alberto **remove full name**, MD

Associate Professor of Health Informatics

University of California - Davis

Login to Me Too

profdata
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Check you Ebay DSR's and your ebay dashboard readings.

It will have a record on any problems.

Login to Me Too

Alberto_Odor
Contributor
Contributor

I don't sell on eBay

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.