HORRIBLE IDEA TO HOLD FUNDS FOR 21 DAYS!!!

gearhed78
Contributor
Contributor

Holding funds from sellers until the buyer leaves feedback is the worst idea EVER! Since when does Paypal become an authority on buyer satisfaction?? A smooth transaction is all that I wanted from Paypal. If they are going to hold funds, then they should make it very clear BEFORE you use them!  Keeping my money in their account for 21 days is a HUGE disadvantage of using Paypal. Stick to transferring funds,not trying to be a satisfaction authority!

Login to Me Too
6,286 REPLIES 6,286

Raveninred
Contributor
Contributor

@Lynette wrote:

I so totally agree.  Isn't there something about fair business practice?  This is a monopoly that needs to get decent competition that also needs to treat the sellers with respect.  Customer service is horrid to non-existent, they require us to only use PayPal and not money orders and checks and they not only take their piece of our sales but now have the use of our money for 21 days. How about all the bad buyers that will buy our items, say there is a problem, get their money back and then won't send our items back, that is what I am afraid of.  The FCC needs to look at all these demands that eBay and PayPal are forcing on its real customers - its sellers.

Really? A monopoly? You mean like the game? Because in REAL life, thsi is NOT a monopoly situation. You don't HAVE to use PayPal, you don't HAVE to use e-Bay, you don't HAVE to use PayPal as your only means of monetary transaction ON eBay. When you register as a Seller on E-Bay it says to register your bank account so it knows where to deduct your seller fees.

There is a SUGGESTION:

Become PayPal Verified
In addition to verifying your identity on eBay, we recommend you also start the process of getting verified on PayPal. Because this process can take a few days to complete it's best to start as soon as possible.

Then you have to tell e-Bay how you're going to pay for your seller's fees - AGAIN, no mnetion of PAYPAL as the ONLY or even DEFAULT answer, just as one of many options:

Tell us how you'll pay your seller fees.
When you become a seller, you need to select how you pay your fees. You can pay your seller fees using any of the following payment methods:
  • PayPal (monthly and one-time payments)
  • Credit card (monthly and one-time payments)
  • Direct pay from your checking account (monthly and one-time payments)
  • Check (business only)

Your next order of business (or as E-Bay referrs to it ominously as "Step Three") Is to choose how you will accept payment.

Select the payment methods you'll accept from your buyers.

The next step is to select and set up the payment methods you'll accept from buyers. How you set up your payment options varies by each method.

I'm going to do YOU and the REST of the WHINERS a FAVOR and click on the link that seems SO HARD to you to do, and then I'll print HERE the information that can be found THERE!

SELECTING PAYMENT METHODS:::

Payment options for most listings

For most categories, you need to offer at least one electronic payment or Internet merchant credit card option. This provides a fast and secure transaction for you and the buyer. When a buyer clicks the Pay Now button in My eBay, the listing, or email notification, they pay you immediately and the payment is processed through the option you've chosen. You receive an email telling you you've been paid and you can ship the item.

You can also offer payment upon pickup.

Learn more about selecting your payment preferences.

You'll be offered payment options when you list your item. Payment options for most listings include:

Notes:

•  Payment by personal check, cashier's check, bank-to-bank transfers, or money order isn't allowed for most eBay purchases. (NOTE BY THIS AUTHOR: THIS IS FOR YOUR PROTECTION< SO YOU DON'T GET SCAMMED EVERY TIME)
  • This doesn't apply to: some Motors categories, the Real Estate and Adult Only categories, and capital equipment. For a list of excluded categories, see the accepted payments policy.

Here's a comparison of payment options for most listing types. For details on each electronic option, click its name.

PayPal

How does it work?
When buyers check out, they're asked to log into PayPal and can pay with their PayPal account balance or by credit card or checking account through PayPal. Learn more about using PayPal on eBay.
Do I need to register?
Yes, you need to register with PayPalbefore offering it as a payment option.
Do I pay a fee?
Yes.
Does the buyer have to register?
No, but they can. If the buyer is registered, they can pay from their PayPal account.
Does the buyer pay a fee?
No.
How soon am I paid?
Immediately, to your PayPal account. (NOTE BY THIS AUTHOR: THIS WAS TAKEN FROM E-BAY'S SITE TODAY; CHECK PAYPAL'S TERMS AND CONDITIONS FOR ANY CHANGES. HINT: TAKE THE TIME TO READ THE WHOLE POLICY.)
Is there seller protection?
Yes. eBayBuyer Protection protects sellers when tracking information shows an item has been delivered, or sellers show an item was properly described. Learn more about what eBay Buyer Protection means to sellers. (NOTE BY THIS AUTHOR: AGAIN, READ PAYPAL'S TERMS AND CONDITIONS; PAYPAL'S BUYER AND SELLER PROTECTIONS MAY NEED DIFFERENT DOCUMENTATION FOR RESOLUTION. THEIR POLICIES MAY NOT BE THE SAME, EVEN THOUGH THEY MAY SHARE THE SAME PARENT COMPANY. LEARN EXACTLY WHAT YOU NEED TO HAVE TO PROVE ANY CASE: THE INFORMATION IS PRINTED RIGHT THERE IN B&W FOR YOU ON BOTH THE E-BAY SITE AND THE PAYPAL SITE.)
Is there buyer protection?
Yes. eBay Buyer Protection covers the purchase price plus original shipping if the buyer doesn't receive
the item or the item doesn't match the seller's description. (NOTE BY THIS AUTHOR: AGAIN, READ PAYPAL'S TERMS AND CONDITIONS; PAYPAL'S BUYER AND SELLER PROTECTIONS MAY NEED DIFFERENT DOCUMENTATION FOR RESOLUTION. THEIR POLICIES MAY NOT BE THE SAME, EVEN THOUGH THEY MAY SHARE THE SAME PARENT COMPANY. LEARN EXACTLY WHAT YOU NEED TO HAVE TO PROVE ANY CASE: THE INFORMATION IS PRINTED RIGHT THERE IN B&W FOR YOU ON BOTH THE E-BAY SITE AND THE PAYPAL SITE.)
Does this method require eBay checkout?
Yes.
Is there help if I have a transaction problem?

Login to Me Too

temp09092011z
Contributor
Contributor

Obviously the respondent is a PayPal damage control agent. I'd like to go back to the old way. Send me a check ( Must Clear) or a money order. I don't need PayPal taking a piece of the action, eBay already grabs its piece.

This is a total scam , stealing a persons money for 21+ days to make interest on it. The buyer wonders why and the sellers honesty is brought into question.

I refunded the buyers money via PayPal and told her  sorry PayPal wont pay me so here your money back. Then told PayPal and eBay to refund all fees! . Even with 500+ transactions, 100% positive feedback and no disputes other then ones I opened and were solved they want to hold my money PLUS  I don't sell computers, electronics , cameras etc etc.

Login to Me Too

Raveninred
Contributor
Contributor

CONTINUED::

ProPay

How does it work?
When the buyers check out, they enter their credit card information. Payment is processed immediately and sent to your ProPay account. Here's more about using ProPay on eBay.
Do I need to register?
Yes, you need to sign up with ProPaybefore offering it as a payment option.
Do I pay a fee?
Yes.
No.
No.
How soon am I paid?
Immediately, to your ProPay account.
Yes. eBay Buyer Protection protects sellers when tracking information shows an item has been delivered, or sellers show an item was properly described. Learn more about what eBay Buyer Protection means to sellers.
(NOTE BY THIS AUTHOR: AGAIN, READ THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS TO MAKE SURE YOU KNOW EXACTLY WHAT YUO"RE GETTING INTO.)
Yes. eBay Buyer Protection covers the purchase price plus original shipping if the buyer doesn't receive
the item or the item doesn't match the seller's description. Also, buyers may have protection through their credit card company. (NOTE: This is also true for PayPal disputes; look into it.)
Yes.
Yes, through the eBay Resolution Center. Learn more about what to do when a buyer doesn't pay. (NOTE FROM THE AUTHOR : THE RESOLUTION CENTER IS GENERALLY AN E-MAIL SYSTEM TRIGGERED BY KEY WORDS. GET ON THE PHONE AND TALK TO SOMEONE IF YOU HAVE A DISPUTE.)

Moneybookers

How does it work?
When buyers check out, they enter their credit card information. Payment is processed immediately and is sent to your Moneybookers account.
Do I need to register?
Yes, you need to register with Moneybookers before offering it as a payment option.
Do I pay a fee?
Yes.
No. Through special arrangement with eBay, buyers who buy on eBay don't have to register with
Moneybookers to send payments to sellers.
No.
How soon am I paid?
Immediately, to your Moneybookers account.
Yes. eBay Buyer Protection protects sellers when tracking information shows an item has been delivered, or sellers show an item was properly described. Learn more about what eBay Buyer Protection means to sellers. (NOTE FROM THIS AUTHOR: READ MONEYBOOKER'S TERMS & CONDITIONS LINE BY LINE SO YOU KNOW EXACTLY WHAT TO EXPECT, AND WHAT YOU'RE GOING TO NEED IF THERE IS A DISPUTE.)
the item or the item doesn't match the seller's description. Also, buyers may have protection through their credit card company. (NOTE FROM THIS AUTHOR: READ MONEYBOOKER'S TERMS & CONDITIONS LINE BY LINE SO YOU KNOW EXACTLY WHAT TO EXPECT, AND WHAT YOU'RE GOING TO NEED IF THERE IS A DISPUTE.)
Yes.

Paymate

How does it work?
When buyers check out, they enter their credit card information. Payment is processed immediately and sent to your Paymate account. Here's more about using Paymate on eBay.
Do I need to register?
Yes, you need to register with Paymatebefore offering it as a payment option.
Do I pay a fee?
Yes.
No.
No.
How soon am I paid?
Immediately, to your Paymate account.
Yes. eBay Buyer Protection protects sellers when tracking information shows an item has been delivered, or sellers show an item was properly described. Learn more about what eBay Buyer Protection means to sellers. (NOTE FROM THIS AUTHOR: READ PAYMATE'S TERMS & CONDITIONS LINE BY LINE SO YOU KNOW EXACTLY WHAT TO EXPECT, AND WHAT YOU'RE GOING TO NEED IF THERE IS A DISPUTE.)
the item or the item doesn't match the seller's description. Also, buyers may have protection through their credit card company. (NOTE FROM THIS AUTHOR: READ PAYMATE'S TERMS & CONDITIONS LINE BY LINE SO YOU KNOW EXACTLY WHAT TO EXPECT, AND WHAT YOU'RE GOING TO NEED IF THERE IS A DISPUTE.)
Yes.

Login to Me Too

Raveninred
Contributor
Contributor

Merchant credit card

How does it work?
Sellers can accept credit card payments to their Internet merchant account directly through eBay checkout by providing their payment gateway account information. This is a free service for eBay sellers. Buyers pay immediately using the Pay Now button. Payments are securely and instantly processed online from eBay checkout through your payment gateway. Sellers receive an email telling them they've been paid and they know they can ship the item.
Do I need to register?
Yes, you need an Internet merchant account with your bank or credit card processing company, and you need
a payment gateway account.
Do I pay a fee?
eBay checkout does not charge any fees. However, your bank or merchant credit card processor & payment  gateway provider may charge you per-transaction fee or other fees, and a percentage of the total amount charged by the buyer.
Depending on your credit card processing agreement and your monthly transaction volume, Internet merchant account fees may be higher than fees for PayPal, ProPay, Moneybookers, and Paymate. If you don't have an Internet merchant credit card account already, take a look at your options before signing up for this service. If you haven't needed a merchant account up to now, you'll probably pay less per transaction by using one of the other payment options. (EMPHASIS ADDED BY THIS AUTHOR)
No, buyers can use their credit card as they would at any online or offline store.
No.
How soon am I paid?
Your merchant account is credited immediately after the buyer's card information is received and processed.
Yes. eBay Buyer Protection protects sellers when tracking information shows an item has been delivered, or sellers show an item was properly described. Learn more about what eBay Buyer Protection means to sellers. (NOTE BY THIS AUTHOR: MERCHANTS WHO ACCEPT DIRECT CREDIT CARD PAYMENTS SHOULD BE FAMILIAR WITH THEIR LIABILITY AND PROTECTIONS ALREADY; IT IS ALWAYS A GOOD TIME TO RE-ACQUAINT YOURSELF WITH YOUR ACCOUNTABILITY.)
Yes, eBay Buyer Protection covers the purchase price plus original shipping if the buyer doesn't receive the item or the item doesn't match the seller's description. Also, buyers may have protection through their credit card company. (NOTE BY THIS AUTHOR: MERCHANTS WHO ACCEPT DIRECT CREDIT CARD PAYMENTS SHOULD BE FAMILIAR WITH THEIR LIABILITY AND PROTECTIONS ALREADY; IT IS ALWAYS A GOOD TIME TO RE-ACQUAINT YOURSELF WITH YOUR ACCOUNTABILITY.)
Yes.

Payment upon pickup

How does it work?
Your buyer pays you when they pick up the item.
Do I need to register?
No.
Do I pay a fee?
No.
No.
No.
How soon am I paid?
Immediately. In-person payment methods can include checks, money orders, cash,
PayPal, or credit card. In your listing, be clear about which of these payment
methods you'll accept.
  • Most sellers don't accept checks or money orders, because if they don't clear
         after the buyer has picked up the item, the seller has fewer options for
         resolving the problem. See our accepted payments policy.
Yes. eBayBuyer Protection protects sellers when they show an item was properly described and the item was purchased with an eligible payment method. Learn more about what eBay Buyer Protection means to sellers.
Yes. eBay Buyer Protection covers the purchase price plus original shipping if the item doesn't match the
seller's description. Buyers need to pay with an eligible payment method. Cash, checks, and money orders are not covered by eBay Buyer Protection. (EMPHASIS THIS AUTHOR) (REPEATED FOR GOOD MEASURE) Cash, checks, and money orders are not covered by eBay Buyer Protection.
No.

Payment options for Real Estate Business & Industrial, capital equipment, Adults Only, and some Motors categories

• Payment by personal check, cashier's check, bank-to-bank transfers, or money order may be offered for capital      
        equipment, Real Estate, Adult Only, and some Motors categories.
  • See the accepted payments policy for the complete list of categories for these payment types.

Escrow services for high-priced items

For high-priced items, many sellers use Escrow.com (eBay's approved escrow service). Learn more about using escrow services.

Payment tips

• Never accept overpayments from buyers for items, especially if the buyer asks to be reimbursed for overpayment.
         Requests like this are often part of a counterfeit cashier's check scheme. Learn more about avoiding payment
          problems

The fine print

• The payment methods described in this article are for U.S. listings only. For payment options in other countries,
          see the eBay help pages for that country.
  • Sellers can't require buyers to pay using methods that aren't allowed on eBay or that they didn't include in their
          listing. For details, see the accepted payments policy.
Login to Me Too

temp09092011z
Contributor
Contributor

I refunded the buyers money and demanded Paypal refund all fees. Then I went to eBay and demanded a refund of listing and final value fees.  After all they sabotaged the sale in preventing me from getting my money. Its sheer larceny, it seems they want to make money on a "float" of 21 days or more. Sort of like banks do. You deposit a check , yet the funds are not accessible for 3-5 business days! Why in this lighting fast electronic age. Anyone have Ameritrade? Instant buy & sells the know what's is in your account or not..Then its:" No Money? No Stocks"

The worst aspect however is I feel that I am being painted as a dishonest person even with over 500 transactions and 100% positive feedback! The disputes I had were brought by ME!. So their reps lie and lie and make up crap as they try and string you along.

I am 100% honest and believe in the Golden Rule. I resent PayPals inference a buyer needs to worry about my items and my honesty.. I pull my money out of PayPal as soon as humanly possible, I do not use their Postal Rip Off system any longer. Perhaps that has made me a marked seller. But should I need to leave, I will and they can play with themselves.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Everyone,

I've removed some recent posts that violated the Community Help Forum Posting Guidelines. Vulgarity and disruptive or hostile comments toward each other won't be tolerated. Off-topic, unproductive, disruptive posts will be deleted and may result in suspension or removal from the community.

I'm not going to lock the thread because I want to continue to encourage open and productive discussion. Your perspectives are all appreciated!

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

terese2
Contributor
Contributor

Hello Olivia!

I certainly respect the right of any administrator to remove offensive postings from a thread.  But I think it would be fairer not to do so selectively.  Upon careful reading, I find the post prior to yours to be an insulting response to the person to whom it responds.  Is this another selective application of Paypal rules?  Could it have something to do with the perspective of the author?  I hope not.   

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

@terese2 wrote:

Upon careful reading, I find the post prior to yours to be an insulting response to the person to whom it responds.  Is this another selective application of Paypal rules?  Could it have something to do with the perspective of the author?  I hope not.   

terese2,

Not at all. I have removed posts made by multiple parties with varying points of view. I removed posts with outright name-calling, and/or vulgarity. You've made a good point, and I have gone ahead and also removed the other post you mentioned. Thank you for pointing it out. If you run across another inappropriate post, please use the "Report" feature in the dropdown beneath the post to report user violations if they need attention by a moderator.

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

Raveninred
Contributor
Contributor

@PayPal_Olivia wrote:

@terese2 wrote:

Upon careful reading, I find the post prior to yours to be an insulting response to the person to whom it responds.  Is this another selective application of Paypal rules?  Could it have something to do with the perspective of the author?  I hope not.   

terese2,

Not at all. I have removed posts made by multiple parties with varying points of view. I removed posts with outright name-calling, and/or vulgarity. You've made a good point, and I have gone ahead and also removed the other post you mentioned. Thank you for pointing it out. If you run across another inappropriate post, please use the "Report" feature in the dropdown beneath the post to report user violations if they need attention by a moderator.

Olivia

Good on ya - I was getting out of line. *slap* bad me. I'll try to keep it cordial.

keyboard face smash!!

Raven

Login to Me Too

stratman7000
Contributor
Contributor

Agree!  Fail on paypal and eBay Major Fail!....what goes arround comes arround  its celled KARMA  b@#$ches!   

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.