HORRIBLE IDEA TO HOLD FUNDS FOR 21 DAYS!!!

gearhed78
Contributor
Contributor

Holding funds from sellers until the buyer leaves feedback is the worst idea EVER! Since when does Paypal become an authority on buyer satisfaction?? A smooth transaction is all that I wanted from Paypal. If they are going to hold funds, then they should make it very clear BEFORE you use them!  Keeping my money in their account for 21 days is a HUGE disadvantage of using Paypal. Stick to transferring funds,not trying to be a satisfaction authority!

Login to Me Too
6,286 REPLIES 6,286

penygurl

I just started reading through some of these posts today so I hope I'm not too far behind.I don't have time to read all of them.First off ebay will unfreeze your money after dc of item which if you send quickly with DC won't be that long. If you would call and have someone explain it or read all information it makes it easier to understand. And by the way my account was frooze also. I called after item showed delivered and my money was always released. It does seen an inconvenience but it's also kinda fun to bug ebay everyday. They unfrooze my account and all is well. Also if you ship through ebay you CAN use that money .

Login to Me Too

paintedeagle09
Contributor
Contributor

Yesterday I went into the items I have sold and listed the camera I sold as not receiving payment for it and making a claim on it. After all, paypal was holding the funds. Then I email the dirtbag for the 6th time including his phone number in the email and requesting again that he leaves feedback that isn't negative. What the jerk do? He leaves negative feedback. I went through the roof! So then I call paypal and totally b**ch at them and the little guy in India says "oh no sir, after an item delivered, tree day later you can get your money". The guy clicked a button and released my money. I instantly moved that money out of paypal and into my bank account which takes another 3-5 days. So I am outta here! Everything is squared up and paid. As for ebay and paypal, they can kiss my  _ss!

Login to Me Too

femsol
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

ATTENTION:    I just  read this artcle in CNET entitled GROOMING IT'S IMAGE, EBAY LOWERS LISTING FEES--catchy headline don't you think?  Just read the article about the new changes coming to eBay as if Paypal holding funds isn't hurting the sellers now.

I came across this article on the home page of AOL which stated eBay Changes Pricing Schemes for Auctions, Struggling to Regain Edge  which was a condensed article that was in CNET so I pulled up CNET's article as well..

Get ready--eBay in its infinite wisdom is making stupid choices and still losing ground to other auction sites.

They constantly amaze me but I like the trend of eBay struggling to regain it edge.

Login to Me Too

atreeman
Contributor
Contributor

I am new to selling on E-Bay although my wife has an account she uses to buy. I decided to set up my own account (seperate from hers for obvious reasons:Smiley Surprised) and began listing some things I have collected over the years seeing as how my Self Employment is in a serious crunch. My daughters BF had sold on E-Bay before so they helped me with the set up and to list four items to begin with. Three of my items sold and I tried to transfer the funds from my PayPal account to my wife's so I could pay for the shipping with her PayPal card and use the card to purchase some packing material and maybe an item or two at a local store that was going out of business at 75% off. PayPal refused to let me transfer and further investigation shows they won't release the funds "until the buyers receive their items" (already shipped by me) and "leaves approiate feedback" etc.

O.K....no big deal...I am an understanding guy and realize some people are dishonest. It was rough- with my low income- to pay for shipping -almost $20- out of pocket but I did.

Now, I come on here to find all of these complaints about 21 day holds or more and now I am worried that the funds will be tied up for awhile. I am NOT going to list anything else on E-Bay until this gets straightned out.

I am still a bit confused as to whether this same thing willl occur if I do list again as it seems they require 5 positive feedbacks to release the funds and I will have only three if all buyers come through. I did send the buyers a polite e-mail to make them aware of the funds hold and to encourage them to please remember to leave feedback if they are satisfied with the transaction. I have done some research and find that PayPal is supposedly OWNED by E-Bay....so I hope E-Bay realizes that they are hurting their sellers with this and I have some good stuff to list in the future. If they want some of my $$$$ they better tell their subsidary to "cough it up".

Login to Me Too

DIANN
Contributor
Contributor

I DON'T KNOW THAT I BELIEVE THE  IDEA THAT SELLERS NEED TO HAVE A PRE DETERMINED AMOUNT OF POSITIVE FEED BACK BEFORE THEY CAN RELEASE FUNDS.  MY PROBLEM AROSE FROM A SELLER NOT SENDING WHAT I PURCHASED.  SHE CONTINUED TO SAY ONE MORE WEEK WHILE SHE CONTINUED, & STILL DOES, SELL THE SAME ITEMS ON EBAY.  IT TOOK PAYPAL 2 MONTHS TO GET MY MONEY BACK TO ME.  SO, HOW DOES THAT SELLER MAINTAIN A 98% POSSITIVE FEEDBACK?  MY ONLY COMMENT WOULD BE THAT THEY ARE PART OF THE ASIAN NETWORK THAT EBAY & PAYPAL DOESN'T WANT TO LOSE.

Login to Me Too

femsol
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

OMG--I just opened my laptop and signed on to AOL to find this headline:  EBay Rolls Out 'Free' Auction Listings to Attract More Sellers

By now if you have read my posts you know I am a news junkie especially the financials which really tell the tale.  I suggest you read this article and the posts.  The news services are picking up on eBay's problems but are not mentioning the PayPal holds.  I still believe this holding of funds was done to allow eBay to post better than expected 4th quarter earnings and now there eye is on the 1st quarter so they are spinning this as "poor ebay-look at how hard they are working to keep seller's happy"

Would love to read comments on this.  Link to http://www.dailyfinance.com/story/ebay-rolls-out-free-auction-listings-to-attract-more-sellers/19332...

Keep making noise--it is only a matter of time when reporters start digging into this Paypal hold.

Login to Me Too

mrs5pennies
Contributor
Contributor

I went in CNN's website a few moments ago and found a very interesting article about Ebay, dated today. 

Here is the link to the article:  http://money.cnn.com/2010/01/20/smallbusiness/ebay_aftermath/index.htm

One of the things that really irratated me was the comment by John Donahoe, CEO of Ebay......It is shown in red.............

But what most irritated veteran eBay merchants was the site's decision to block sellers from leaving negative feedback about buyers.

EBay's feedback system, the innovation that helped it stand out from a pack of e-commerce pioneers in the Web's early days, had always been a two-way street. Buyers want to be sure they'll get what they ordered; sellers want to guarantee they'll be paid. Feedback helped both sides reduce the risk of online transactions with strangers.

EBay's move to silence those on one side of the street made sellers feel like second-class citizens. Donahoe brushed aside their concerns.

"We are extremely focused on improving the buyer experience on eBay," Donahoe told analysts soon after announcing the changes. "This is not to say that sellers are not important to us, but our belief is and always has been that what is good for buyers is ultimately good for sellers."

Can anyone believe the audacity???? Without sellers, THERE IS NO EBAY!!!

Login to Me Too

femsol
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

@mrs5pennies wrote:

I went in CNN's website a few moments ago and found a very interesting article about Ebay, dated today. 

Here is the link to the article:  http://money.cnn.com/2010/01/20/smallbusiness/ebay_aftermath/index.htm

One of the things that really irratated me was the comment by John Donahoe, CEO of Ebay......It is shown in red.............

But what most irritated veteran eBay merchants was the site's decision to block sellers from leaving negative feedback about buyers.

EBay's feedback system, the innovation that helped it stand out from a pack of e-commerce pioneers in the Web's early days, had always been a two-way street. Buyers want to be sure they'll get what they ordered; sellers want to guarantee they'll be paid. Feedback helped both sides reduce the risk of online transactions with strangers.

EBay's move to silence those on one side of the street made sellers feel like second-class citizens. Donahoe brushed aside their concerns.

"We are extremely focused on improving the buyer experience on eBay," Donahoe told analysts soon after announcing the changes. "This is not to say that sellers are not important to us, but our belief is and always has been that what is good for buyers is ultimately good for sellers."

Can anyone believe the audacity???? Without sellers, THERE IS NO EBAY!!!

Thank you for posting this news link--I am also posting news links and eBay is doing its best to spin this to their advantage.  I wrote to the writer of the story I posted about eBay reducing fees trying to attract sellers.  So which is it eBay????On one hand you drive us away by having PayPal holding our funds and on the other you wantand apparently NEED  more sellers so you will reduce fees and then you explain that buyers need to be protected.

Finally news media is investigating this which will hopefully mean more bad press.

I also post on comments if allowed when I read these articles and refer them to this forum.

Thanks for the posting.

Login to Me Too

mrs5pennies
Contributor
Contributor

I also sent a detailed email to the reporter and asked them to go to Paypal Community to see what's going on......Once the news media gets wind of this, they, too, will investigate.

Login to Me Too

femsol
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

@mrs5pennies wrote:

I also sent a detailed email to the reporter and asked them to go to Paypal Community to see what's going on......Once the news media gets wind of this, they, too, will investigate.

@mrs5pennies wrote:

Great minds think alike!!  I spend a great deal of  spare time posting, writing, emailing etc and referring to this forum like you do as well.  It has become a major matter of principal for me--I have had success over the years selling books and DVD's on Amazon.com--they make it so easy and now that they are expanding their  listing areas I will be listing more.  I am determined to be active on wensy which I like, Craig's list which I already do and other auctions sites that have been mentioned in these forums.  I am still kicking myself for not being vocal or noticing these changes before--I feel as if once the ability to leave buyer feedback was taken away from sellers should have been the time I reacted-but it is not too late and I will support this cause to the end.

We need to start emailing these articles to our local news outlets, and the major networks.  Glad to see CNN picked up a story.  Can't wait.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.