HORRIBLE IDEA TO HOLD FUNDS FOR 21 DAYS!!!

gearhed78
Contributor
Contributor

Holding funds from sellers until the buyer leaves feedback is the worst idea EVER! Since when does Paypal become an authority on buyer satisfaction?? A smooth transaction is all that I wanted from Paypal. If they are going to hold funds, then they should make it very clear BEFORE you use them!  Keeping my money in their account for 21 days is a HUGE disadvantage of using Paypal. Stick to transferring funds,not trying to be a satisfaction authority!

Login to Me Too
6,286 REPLIES 6,286

Jamison
I pay these idiots a chunk of my money so that they can not trust me? How is that good business? I have bills to pay and mouths to feed and they're going to wait for some **bleep**tard in phoenix to say I did a good job? This is the most outrageous and insulting idea ever. My business with this company is through.
Login to Me Too

mrs5pennies
Contributor
Contributor

Today, I sent a 3 pound package, with 185 pages in it, to Eric Holder, US Attorney General.  The 185 pages included my two-page letter and all of the comments and complaints shown on this forum since the 21 day hold began.  If anyone can tell us if this is legal or not, he should.  If anyone can help us out, I'm hoping he can.  As soon as I get a response (hopefully, I will), I'll post it here for all to see.  Ebay should NOT force us to use Paypal or any other electronic pay system, only.  As a seller, we should be able to choose what type of payment we'll accept - Paypal, check, or money order.  Yet, we MUST use Paypal.  That's the real issue.  If we weren't forced to use Paypal and could choose our own acceptable payment type, no one would be using Paypal at all. Of course, Ebay knows this - that's why they made that change a year or so ago.

Login to Me Too

joelgriffiths
Contributor
Contributor

Wow! I just discovered this thread. Having been a casual seller for 5+ years, I have decided NEVER TO USE EBAY or PAYPAL AGAIN. I just googled online auction sites to find an alternative. I suggest you do the same.

Login to Me Too

madjen
Contributor
Contributor

Just to mention other sites again there is etsy,wensy,ebid,online auctions,and more.

Alternate credit card companies, google check out, first data, paymate etc.

Honestly, I have not sold one thing yet on etsy or ebid. Its scary to me, but I feel like I

have to NOT sell on ebay in protest. But thats for everyone to make up their own mind

about. However, I feel like solidarity works and so does refusing to use ebay.

I really feel bad for everyone experiencing this. They did it to me at Christmas and I

haven't put one thing on ebay since.

Login to Me Too

DIANN
Contributor
Contributor

IF I UNDERSTAND IT CORRECTLY, DOESN'T EBAY OWN PAYPAL?

Login to Me Too

cyberjawn
Contributor
Contributor
Yep, ebay does own paypal. They need to fix this. put it back like it was.
Login to Me Too

Liv_N_Low
Contributor
Contributor

PayPal lifted my 21 Day hold 2 weeks ago and this is what I received today in a email from them without calling them.

PayPal,

As part of our customer protection policies, we hold the funds for a small number of sellers’ payments for up to 21 days in case there’s a problem with the transaction. Once released, the full payment amount can be accessed in the seller’s PayPal account.

Unfortunately, due to a technical issue, we mistakenly held some of the funds for your payments, which showed up as a “Pending” balance in your account. Rest assured, you're not currently subject to this policy and the issue has been corrected. We know this may have been frustrating and apologize for any inconvenience.

We're committed to helping your business grow. Please don’t hesitate to contact us with any questions at (888) 221-1161.

This just shows you that they really have no clue in how to run a smooth business.... PayPal is really feeling the heat I guess in people canceling their accounts. Im sure PayPal has some software in knowing the % in people canceling. This 21 Day hold can surely effect a corporation when people are avoiding to use their services.

Login to Me Too

MarcoGee
Contributor
Contributor

I recieve my "We're sorry" letter today and I believe this forum was instumental in the reversal of this policy. So HERE HERE guys and gals, we did it, we showed them that they went too far and that we weren't gonna take it.  I must say I am pleased that they were smart enough to realize that this was not going to be good for business (theirs and ours) and that they fixed it.  MarcoGee

Login to Me Too

asdcompany
Contributor
Contributor

Lets not jump to that conclusion yet. We have to hold them accountable for their actions. That said, there ARE some sellers (very few) that are so bad that they should put holds on there accounts and there are these scammers posting 1 day and 3 day ads then disappearing but they cannot lump us all together as they did. Even if a seller gets a bad feedback once in awhile (you know sooner or later it will happen) that doesn't make a seller bad, its how the seller handles it. Ebay and Paypal have forgotten the fact that sellers are ALSO their customers not just buyers and they have to start treating us such.

Login to Me Too

Qwelldrin765
Contributor
Contributor

Will you please look at the wide spread out cry with this unfair delay. It isn't just a few but getting on for many thousands of people don't think that this is a few people but is in fact a majority of casual sellers. These people made eBay and Paypal for them now to discount us would be a very grave step.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.