HORRIBLE IDEA TO HOLD FUNDS FOR 21 DAYS!!!

gearhed78
Contributor
Contributor

Holding funds from sellers until the buyer leaves feedback is the worst idea EVER! Since when does Paypal become an authority on buyer satisfaction?? A smooth transaction is all that I wanted from Paypal. If they are going to hold funds, then they should make it very clear BEFORE you use them!  Keeping my money in their account for 21 days is a HUGE disadvantage of using Paypal. Stick to transferring funds,not trying to be a satisfaction authority!

Login to Me Too
6,286 REPLIES 6,286

Djten
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks so much for that info about the other online auction sites! I'm finding out that it certainly pays to reach out and "put your two cents in" sometimes because you stand to get back a wealth of  information!! TYes, eBay and PayPal have most definitely gone overboard with their ridiculous policies! Namely the 21-day restriction on certain items, and their percentage fees when you make good on a sale. With te commission these pele make onmillions of items sold each day, they can afford to treat their sellers way better!

Login to Me Too

Djten
Contributor
Contributor

Just wanted to make couple of corrections when I sad "Yes, they've gone overboard...", and also the word "people" didn't come clear. Wanted to say "these people make enough....."

Login to Me Too

zoreck
Contributor
Contributor

Not Auction, you set your price and get a shipping credit and of course they have their commission, A is the less expensive

Login to Me Too

jewelsbyanita
Contributor
Contributor

I just emailed Darren Bock of WENSY.COM and asked him many questions relating to that auction site...apparently, it has been around for 2 yrs. and doesn't charge any money for ANYTHING!!! according to Darren...they do use paypal but they have nothing to do with paypal other than as a vehicle for transferring monies, they also have other means for collecting payments....it is a completely free website for sellers and they pride themselves in being nothing like ebay....so, I am switching, will be an effort to transfer my store but I can see the writing on the wall if I stay with ebay....apparently, Wensy is growing by word of mouth...check it out...I did and am glad I now have an alternative besides Ebay...

Login to Me Too

asdcompany
Contributor
Contributor

I joined wensys.com a week ago. I like it because its similar to ebay when ebay first started. Of course its new so sales aren't the same as ebay but its much more friendly and relaxed. I don't think the owner in his wildest dreams ever thought the sight would take off the way it is so there's some growing pains but I can put up with that. All he's asking for is donations which I surely do not mind giving a percentage of my sales. I don't even mind giving him the same as I do ebay as long as I have the freedom to control my site the way I want to.

Login to Me Too

femsol
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Hi Scott--Thank you for posting the link to the CNN Money article which I found informative but also a bit disheartening in that is showed that efforts made by the small sellers that helped build eBay into the company it is today (aren't we so proud)  made no difference in eBay's position.  Then I noticed the date of the article and realized that  this policy started almost a year ago and apparently not enough sellers were inconvenienced or even aware of these changes. Now that this policy appears to affect all sellers, power sellers excluded I believe, there is much more interest and sellers actually coming to realize there are other alternatives.

Fortunately I made it through the Christmas season in tact without holds and I did not receive notification of future holds on my account until last week  when I did not have any active listings.  I join the group of sellers with 100% feedback, member since 2002 and a part time seller. 

Since last Monday I have gone through what I look at as stages of weaning off eBay and PayPal.  First denial, then outrage, revenge follows and ultimately my choice was to accept the policy or move on.  I am moving on but will continue to monitor this board, lend my support and send emails and complaints to continue on with the fight.

This article quoted and the ideas in this forum have been very beneficial and I have taken advantage of many of the ideas, registering with auction sites and new payment processing companies.  I needed this kick in the a** by eBay to end my relationship with eBay and PayPal.

Yesterday only affirmed my decision as it turns out I had listed a few duplicate items on Craig's List over the holidays and yes I realize that doing so is against eBay's policy--but oh well!  I had an inventory of shoes that I had purchased over the summer at a deal including designers.  I am only speaking of about 15 pairs and all in my size just in case but the auctions failed miserably on eBay and they were not worth relisting.  Then I received an email from a person in response to one pair of shoes that I had listed on Craig's List and I sold him all 15 pairs of shoes after negotiations, for cash, no fees deducted and no shipping costs. This person is a student from Ghana doing his doctoral work at a college here and buys items like shoes to send home to Ghana and now we have a little network in that his family and friends in Ghana will hopefully contact me directly by email to shop for them--what fun.

So I look at eBay/PayPal's new policy as a sign that it was time to sever ties with eBay.  I remember when I started it was fun.

This is my plan and I am sure I am not alone in making this decision but again I remain committed also to assisting in any efforts to take action against eBay.  I have filed my complaints with the FTC, the SEC, BBB and anywhere else I could and will continue.  I might also suggest writing to Steve or Joe at www.ivetriedthat.com .  These guys provide a daily email about latest scams along with a very good website that offers great advice but also will write about issues of online fraud and what to beware of--I am actually composing an email to them now as just a few days ago then ran a blog about BillMeLater--I imagine they would look into eBay as well and get the word out. Worth a try!

If you have not read the CNN money article that Scott provided a link to you might want to glance through it as it lists alternatives to both eBay and PayPal.  Unfortunately it has an article about the Power Sellers who like this idea and do not support our position.  A shame really for GothamCityonLine was one of my favorites sellers from the beginning and now they are a huge seller for eBay.  I have watched their fees and shipping cost go up over the years and have not purchased anything from them in years.

Let's keep this issue going and continue to make noise.

Love all, trust a few, do wrong to no one." ~William Shakespeare

Login to Me Too

femsol
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

My apologies for the long post--I was carried away!

Login to Me Too

Djten
Contributor
Contributor

Quite allright for the long post. It's enough to frustrate anybody!

Login to Me Too

zoreck
Contributor
Contributor

Did I say to much?

Login to Me Too

femsol
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

I am still spending this rainy Sunday catching up on the lastest with eBay and Paypal and came accross this article thanks to a previous poster that stated that www.BillMeLater.com is now owned by eBay.  I googled this information and came across this article.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/99508-ebay-s-bill-me-later-a-bad-idea

An interesting read--yet another way for Paypal to make money and to *bleep* the sellers.  I also read an article that immediately upon the  purchase of bill me later, eBay laid off 1000 people. Way to go eBay.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.