Can't pay by credit card through paypal even though its verified

lovinleos
Contributor
Contributor

As I was checking out to purchase a powerbook mac I went to pay for it through paypal but it said I needed to verify the account by adding my bank. I did that and after I did I went to checkout once again and when it went to the options for how to pay for the item only echeck was the available option and money transfer and pay by credit card were grayed out and I could not click on pay by credit card as an option to pay for the item and thats the only way I can pay for it. I've done it over and over again so it wasn't just a random mistake it was the way it was. I checked with the retailer thinking that maybe they had made it so I could only pay by echeck and he stated that I could pay by credit card through paypal but this is clearly not the case. Unless you help me I have no way to pay for the item and will not pay for it because I have no way to do so, I'm not impressed with paypal at all and because of this I doubt I'll ever use it again if this is not resolved.

Login to Me Too
13 REPLIES 13

luckyladyd
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same problem, but a little different;  I don't get the option to pay for my purchase by credit card at all.  There are choices for paypal pay-for-it-later, and my checking account, or to pay out of my paypal balance (which I don't want to do, as I have bills coming up to pay to eBay which will be automatic, so I need to keep money in there).  I tried adding more credit cards, but they don't show being available either.  I have no other way to pay for my item.  I tried getting the seller's email address and paying directly through paypal, not using the ebay respond button, but that is the same result.  HELP!?

Login to Me Too

Adrz
Contributor
Contributor

I have the exactly same situtation. It won't let me pay by credit card. I have paypal long for almost 1 year (I think) I keep adding credir card over again because it won't verify itself unless I add bank account at first , when I came to paypal.

Anyway when I purchase an item from Ebay, I went to fund option hoping it go to credit card but it only has options to say e check or paypal balance. I was so frustated.  I had paid credit card before, I don't know why it is the first time that today won't let me paying by credit card? It was strange and I contacted retailer, they said it probably was at my end of limit . I was thinking about getting Paypal card. Does it cost a lot of money? Can it really help extend limit...

Login to Me Too

luckyladyd
Contributor
Contributor

This is majorly frustrating!  The mastercard and visa logos are still on the page where you choose what method of payment to make, but they are all on the same line with Paypal.  When chosing Paypal, the next page offers only withdrawal from bank account or paypal balance.  I tried canceling my bank account to see if my credit cards would resurface, but now all I get is a message saying my limit of TEN THOUSAND DOLLARS maximum has been reached!  (This month on ebay, I have bought maybe twenty bucks worth of stuff.)  When I go on the page to send them an email, the space where I am supposed to type in my subject and message do not work.  I have tried entering from all kinds of different ways.  Still dead page.  At this point, I feel Paypal is forcing me to either take their credit card (not going to - I want my airline miles with my own carrier) or pay out of my cash (not going to, same reason).  I guess I will not be buying from anyone who takes only Paypal inthe future.

Login to Me Too

wellapot
New Community Member

I thought Im the only who is experiencing this problem. I called the customer support and told me that on their monitor, my credit/debit card was listed as funding options but on my end it wasn't. I looked at my profile and my card is still there. I did not do anything. She said it maybe its the sellers preference.. which I doubt it. She just suggested to clear my cookies in my browser, tried a different PC but didn't work. With all these happening, Paypal has a problem.

Login to Me Too

luckyladyd
Contributor
Contributor

So glad to hear that I'm not the only one having this problem.  I just had to complete a transaction by sending a personal check.  I guess we'll both live through a world without Paypal  🙂

Login to Me Too

Adrz
Contributor
Contributor

After the other retailer said it was probably cuz i ovrspent, i called other customer service . They told me that I had paypal balance that was like $5.00 could pay the item I tried purchase which is the reason credit aint in fund option.

Example: if you don't have any paypal balance or if it is less than the purchase , credit card will be appearing in fund option. To support more fund preventing insuffent

Login to Me Too

luckyladyd
Contributor
Contributor

Hmmmmm, interesting reason; so if I HAVE money in my Paypal account, they want me to spend it, so I DON'T have it any more??  I would think it should work the other way:  let me pay by credit card and KEEP the funds they can see.  Perhaps I'll find out next time I make a purchase. 

Login to Me Too

sandypurins
Advisor
Advisor

luckyladyd,

Your issue appears to be related to the fact that you have a PayPal account balance.   Here's the applicable text from PayPal's User Agreement...

3.2 Default Payment Methods.  When you make a payment, if you have not selected a Preferred Payment Method, PayPal will fund your transaction in this order:

• Balance
  • Instant Transfer from your bank account
  • PayPal Credit
  • Debit card
  • Credit card
  • eCheck

Note:   We will use your Balance first even if you have selected a Preferred Payment Method (unless your Preferred Payment Method is PayPal Credit or eCheck in which case we will use these Payment Methods first).  If you don't want to use your Balance, you can withdraw it before making a payment.

https://cms.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/marketingweb?cmd=_render-content&content_ID=ua/UserAgreement_full&...

Login to Me Too

sandypurins
Advisor
Advisor

lovinleos,

Your issue appears to be related to PayPal's risk management... here's the applicable text from PayPal's User Agreement...

3.4 Payment Method Limitations.   In order to manage risk, PayPal may limit the Payment Methods available for a transaction. In addition, Payment Methods may be limited if you make a PayPal payment through certain third party websites or applications. For PayPal Business Payments, you are limited to funding your PayPal payment with either (or both) your Balance or by eCheck. In such cases, you may choose to continue with the transaction with the understanding that you may have fewer avenues available for dispute resolution should the transaction turn out to be unsatisfactory.

https://cms.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/marketingweb?cmd=_render-content&content_ID=ua/UserAgreement_full&...

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.