Can I remove a payment that has been pending for over a month?

mucker2b
Contributor
Contributor

Hi - I payed for an item on November 25th anticipating that I would have it for Christmas as a present. I am just back from holiday and was expecting to have a parcel waiting, but no joy! I checked my PayPal account and see that the transaction is still pending. I have since ordered and received a similar product from a different retailer.

Can anybody let me know how long the transaction will stay in a pending state?

When I try to resolve a dispute using PayPal tools I get the message that the transaction ID is invalid. There are 2 characters (O-) preceeding what look like the Transaction ID in the example ID provided. When I remove these characters I also get the same message.

Thank you

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

PayPal_Adrian
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Welcome to the boards!

The O- in the transaction tells me this is what is called an Order, which is a special transaction process used by large merchants.  It allows them charge you only once the order is fulfilled and shipped.

When an Order is in Pending status, it means the merchant hasn't collected on the Order.  These normally cancel completely after thirty days, but if it hasn't, just let PayPal know via the Contact Us link.  A quick call can start the ball rolling to have it cancelled out on your behalf. 

Thanks!

Adrian

Was my post helpful? If so, please give me a kudos!

Did my post solve the issue? If so, please accept it as a solution!
Login to Me Too

mucker2b
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the response Adrian. I have checked my account again and this transaction is now showing expired. 

Does this happen after a certain time period?

Thank you again,

David

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Adrian
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

You're welcome!  Orders do expire after thirty days, so it sounds like yours finally timed out.  At this point the merchant can't come back and collect on an expired Order, so no worries.

Adrian

Login to Me Too

ahmed_vakil2003
Contributor
Contributor

hello adrian i have a problem with cancelation of pending payment, i paid for an item and its still unclaimed. and even seller is not replying my mails and i want to cancel my payment, but i can't find any cancel option in transaction. please help me with that, thanks.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Adrian
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hello ahmed_vakil2003!

If your payment is unclaimed, but you don't have the option to cancel it, that means it's attached to the sellers account.

The seller has thirty days to claim the payment.  If they don't claim the payment, then it will be automatically returned to you.

If the seller does claim the payment, but never sends anything, be sure to file a claim for Non-Receipt within 45 days of the day the payment was originally sent.

Thanks!

Adrian

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.