WikiLeaks

pqdace
New Community Member

PayPal is being used to fund Wikileaks?? 

This makes them complicit .

Login to Me Too
684 REPLIES 684

Temp20220728J
Contributor
Contributor

LemonHunter wrote:

{...}  two separate issues involved in this situation: one being the content of the stolen confidential documents, and the other the fact that those confidential documents were in FACT STOLEN!!
    {...}

They were submitted to WikiLeaks. Not stolen by Wikileaks. There is a difference between the collector , the publisher and the emitter of information.

PayPal knew about Wikileaks and it's activities all along, most likely for years. Now there comes a little politician and threatens Paypal and they fold. That's despicable, those 180 Degree cow turns.

Exactly the legality or illegality are at question here: I think all the so-called DIPLOMATS who made those not-so-diplomatic statements should be fired and punished.

And those who are in charge of safeguarding the so-called Secrets should be fired and punished.

You cannot let you wallet lie unsupervised around and then have you complaining that someone has picked it up and then you call that "stolen". That is not stolen, that is plain negligence.

What is all that Diplomatic "Top Secret" classification good for if they are virtually incapable of guarding the secrets? Totally futile undertaken, I would say.

I guess that not so few Intelligence Analysts (in various countries) out there are either yawning or being amused about long-time obsolete "secrets".

And ask yourself that question: How confident can you be in the US government capabability of keeping ANY secret if an underfunded computer enthusiast is able to gather so many "Secrets"?

Don't kill the messenger. WikiLeaks is the messenger, not the Author or Subject of the contents of the cables. Killing WikiLeaks does not make the material less disturbing or vanish.

The ultimate embarrassment and the black eye lies in the ease of with which that information was collected. "Top Secret, confidential, blah, blah". Ridicoulously easy.

Login to Me Too

BillF
Contributor
Contributor

PP-political's post has one technical error: the news reports say that none of the State Department cables in the last batch of leaks were classified Top Secret. They were Secret, which Wikipedia (no relation to Wikileaks) describes as the middle of three levels of classification in the U.S.  See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classified_information

The U.S. has no Official Secrets Act such as the UK's. Lawyers in this forum please correct me - my understanding is that the press is generally not subject to prosecution for publishing leaked information unless their doing so breaks some other law. If the leaker is a government employee with a security clearance he or she is subject to prosecution.

Login to Me Too

Temp20220728J
Contributor
Contributor

@BillF wrote:
PP-political's post has one technical error: the news reports say that none of the State Department cables in the last batch of leaks were classified Top Secret. They were Secret, which Wikipedia (no relation to Wikileaks) describes as the middle of three levels of classification in the U.S.  See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classified_information

{...} - snipped

BillF - Thanks for pointing that out.

My focus was NOT on the degree / classification of secrets that were breached. Or if it is called TOP SECRET, MY PRIVATE C OMMENT, BOTTOM SECRET - whatever.

My focus was on:

WHATEVER classification they give their "Secrets" - what are these classifications GOOD FOR if those people in charge of KEEPING THE SECRETS go unpunished while the THE DUMPSTER DIVER can produce all the classified material?

If I get you right, your statement exonerates even more the "whistleblower".

Those cables are not even TOP secret, just water under the bridge, chit-chat.

And to second your question / statement, I also would like to see EXACTLY what the rules of that game are:

Quote:

{...}

The U.S. has no Official Secrets Act such as the UK's. Lawyers in this forum please correct me - my understanding is that the press is generally not subject to prosecution for publishing leaked information unless their doing so breaks some other law. If the leaker is a government employee with a security clearance he or she is subject to prosecution.

{...} Unquote.

Login to Me Too

MonkeeRench
Contributor
Contributor

... and an HONEST, CONSTITUTION-BELIEVING Supreme Court refused to allow the conviction of employee Daniel Ellsburg, as the FREEDOM OF THE PRESS was paramount to keep a corrupt, lying government to also follow the Constitution.

Here, the guv'm'nt employs Manning, and Wikileaks has published NOTHING that has not already been vetted and published by mainstream (world) press.

Login to Me Too

formermember

Legal right <> moral obligation

Login to Me Too

eSnarfcom
Contributor
Contributor

Paypal shipping has been down for an hour. Some have said that WikiLeaks has rerouted the denial of service calls from government computers to PayPal! Pal Pal should stay NON-POLITICAL!  It's a Cash Business.

Login to Me Too

Temp20220728J
Contributor
Contributor
Re: WikiLeaks

Paypal shipping has been down for an hour. Some have said that WikiLeaks has rerouted the denial of service calls from government computers to PayPal! Pal Pal should stay NON-POLITICAL!  It's a Cash Business.

Re-routing DDOS attacks? From government Computers? To PayPal?

Interesting concept, I would like to know more about it.

No need for that.

No technical way for that.

Excuse me being patronizing, but you need to get a grip on TCP/IP routing on a very basic level.

For your second statement: "PayPal! Pal Pal should stay NON-POLITICAL!  It's a Cash Business."

You are Exactly right here.

But it seems they succumbed to some pressure from somewhere. Maybe the US homeland security department, maybe the ministry of foreign affairs. Maybe the FBI. Who knows.

If PayPal succumbs to political pressure, then they are no longer a "Global Economy provider".

They are just the executioners of the taste of some current politician.

Login to Me Too

eSnarfcom
Contributor
Contributor

Actually  it's a simple conversion of the url and re-transmission reflection done in an old fashioned DOS shell.. Can you explain why PayPal's shipping is down? Can PayPal?

Login to Me Too

MaxMojo

Paypal, Ebay and  purchases from Amazonl?

Login to Me Too

cwilken
New Community Member

I tried to make a donation to wikilinks.org but pay pal has taken that option away.   Who are they to judge wikilinks.  What about Bush and Obama who have killed thousands in secret, illegal activities such as torture, assasinations and mass murder.  Why are mass murders allowed to keep their pay pal accounts while those who are exposing their evils are denied their account????

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.