Why is it taking so long to get my money from Paypal

Kafkascastle
New Community Member

I bought a Paypal repaid credit card and loaded it with $500.00. This is the first time I've ever had a prepaid card and I needed it because I'm traveling. When I went to activate it I accidently entered my shipping address instead of my residence. As a consequence I could not provide the necessary documentation to verify the address. After over 11 hours on the phone with paypal I was told my address could not be corrected. So I asked for a refund. The help person took my info, said he would have the refund issued and then put me on hold. I was then cut off.  I followed up a few days later and was told no refund had been issued because I ended the call. So I explained the problem AGAIN but this time the person said he could change my address. He then put me on hold and I was cut off again. I called back and spoke with a different person who assured me that there was absolutely, positively, no way to change my address. But when I gave her my address we discovered that the last guy HAD changed it! So, I told the tech person that I could verify that address and I'd send in the documents. The next day I called back to make sure I had the proper documents and get a fax number, but was told that I had to send in a copy of my Social Security card. I don't carry that when I'm traveling so I asked if there was an alternative. I was told that, even though Paypal's web page lists alternative documents, I absolutely, positively had to send a copy of my card, nothing else would do. So, I asked for a refund. Paypal ONLY refunds by check, which costs me $10 and they send it by regular mail which could take up to 10 business days. 

I called back after 10 business days when the check hadn't arrived. I was told that they hadn't issued the check when they said they would and I had to wait some more. After waiting, the check hadn't arrived so I called. I was told I had to wait 15 business days before they would do anything. And then if the check hadn't arrived they would void the check and the process would start all over again, including the 15 day wait. 

It's now May 14th, I bought this card April 17th, I first asked for a refund about April 19th, I've spend well over 11 and a half hours on the phone (most of that was waiting on hold or calling back because Paypal cut me off) speaking with at least 8 different tech people who have given me contradictory and false information so often I've lost count. I had to pay for the refund because Paypal insists on sending a paper check - the irony of a company whose existence is to make electronic transfer of money easy but won't use their system to refund money, is not lost on me - apparently Paypal doesn't trust its own electronic payment system. I have NO proof that Paypal has even issued the check and the only thing I can do is wait - or take them to small claims court. I know that I errored by entering the wrong address, but I can't be unique, this must happen to other people. There should be a simple way to correct that error or refund the money quickly. 

I have since bought another card from another company and there were no problems or delays at all. I will never do business with Paypal again if I can possibly avoid it.

Login to Me Too
0 REPLIES 0

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.