Why did I receive an email saying "Your payment info has expired" when all is current and valid?

BigRich1
Contributor
Contributor

I have had and use PayPal for quite a few years now and today I received an email with the subject "Your payment info has expired" when all is current and correct. The credit card associated with the account does not expire for 3 years from now.

Anyone have a clue why I received this email and/or what can be done about it?

Anyone else get this erroneous email?

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

bucs1111
Contributor
Contributor

Same. It seems more like some type of misfired "Promotions and News" email than a legitimate PayPal notice for a payment type. I am not sure what's happening here but it seems suspect. It did legitimately come from PayPal though.

Login to Me Too

JL0604
Contributor
Contributor

I got the same email today.  Just made a PayPal purchase yesterday without a problem.  I didn't click on anything, and I don't trust the email.  

Login to Me Too

BigRich1
Contributor
Contributor

Looks legit to me, just inaccurate.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_JonK

Hello @BigRich1, @bucs1111, @JL0604

Welcome to the PayPal Community Forum! I'm sorry to hear you've received a potentially suspicious notification. Here's a great Help Center article you may find useful: How do I spot a fake, fraudulent, or phishing PayPal email or website? If you're still unsure, you're welcome to reach out to our Customer Support teams for further clarification. 

Best wishes!

- Jon K

If you find this or any other post was helpful, make our community better by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Login to Me Too

bucs1111
Contributor
Contributor

In inspecting the headers on the email it definitely seems to have come from PayPal infrastructure. Had to hack this apart a little to get it to pass the post content filters. It keeps removing "phone numbers" that are not phone numbers 🙂

Received: from [removed] ([removed] [removed])
        by mx.google.com with ESMTPS id b18-20020a637152000000b00534784002afsi5756818pgn.8
        for <••••••••••••• @ gmail.com>
        (version=TLS1_2 cipher=ECDHE-ECDSA-AES128-GCM-SHA256 bits=128/128);
        Mon, 05 Ju.......-0700 (PDT)
Received-SPF: pass (google.com: domain of bounce-6_html-33120  client-ip=[removed];
> ipinfo [removed]
Core
- IP [removed]
- Anycast false
- Hostname [removed]
- City San Francisco
- Region California
- Country United States (US)
- Flag
- Currency USD ($)
- Location [removed]
- Organization AS14340 Salesforce.com, Inc.
- Postal [removed]
- Timezone America/Los_Angeles

Login to Me Too

BigRich1
Contributor
Contributor

To PayPal_JonK ,

You may be a PayPal moderator but I know a phishing email when I see one.

The email saying "Your payment info has expired" came from "paypal.com". So, unless paypal.com has been hacked, it is not phishing spam.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.