Trouble linking Banco Popular (Puerto Rico) account?

ErinMorrigan
Contributor
Contributor

I’m attempting to add a checking account with Banco Popular in Puerto Rico (where I now live) and it seems like it just can’t be done. Even a PayPal rep said it didn’t work on the back end when I called to have them try, but he had no idea why, had no suggestions, and offered no solutions. Is there a trick or some kind? Or at least a reason why it doesn’t work so I can find peace??? This is maddening! Thanks in advance.

Login to Me Too
14 REPLIES 14

nevadasmith
Advisor
Advisor

is it a member of THE Federal Reserve System?

ask your fellow PR members .

Login to Me Too

ErinMorrigan
Contributor
Contributor
Do you mean the FDIC? Yes, they are.
Login to Me Too

nevadasmith
Advisor
Advisor

FDIC is for insurance,

do you have the correct routing number,you can find a list of member banks of Fed Reserve systme

Login to Me Too

nevadasmith
Advisor
Advisor

from its website

Bank Routing Numbers:

For checks: New York ( 026008811 ) / New Jersey ( 021272626 ) / Florida ( 063112605 )

For wire transfers: 026008811

SWIFT code: PONAUS33

it looks like it is a member of the FED RESERVE SYSTEM,if so,then it is Paypal which does not do business with the bank

Login to Me Too

Dikadi
I can’t seem to add my Popular Bank Account either. Can someone help?
Login to Me Too

Peredon
Contributor
Contributor

The USA Banco Popular is treated differently then the one in PR.  They just told me that I can't transfer funds from PR Banco Popular to US Banco Popular and for that case any other bank. I just set up this account pre-covid to help my mom out but there's very little use for this bank except to hold my money.  I was told I'd have to use another service that is used on the island called ATH Movil, that is if the home my mom is in has an account there.  I'm not too happy.  

Login to Me Too

Rick357
Contributor
Contributor

Well, I don't have the solution for linking Banco Popular, unfortunately, but I would say to move to other bank or open another bank account just for Paypal.

I was successfully using FirstBank here in Puerto Rico linked to PayPal to transfer from PayPal to FirstBank and vice-versa. The two deposits they send for confirming the account arrived in about 3 business days and all went smooth.

Banco Popular is always a problem here...

Login to Me Too

Mattg10
New Community Member
I have been trying to link my banco popular Puerto Rico account for a good while now cause I have some money I want to transfer and it just keeps giving me the error message saying it can't connect ( my bank doesn't even appear as an option anymore when I search for it when trying to link my account)
Login to Me Too

Peredon
Contributor
Contributor

I was able to link Paypal to my PR Banco Popular account.  So it does work.  I only use it to send money out directly to people with Paypal accounts.  

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.