Sorry, we can't link your bank account right now

Coffeelife33
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

I am trying to link a new bank account to my Paypal Business account, but it gives me this error message: "Sorry, we can't link your bank account right now".

All the bank account information is correct, it is even at the same bank my previously linked account is.

I am now stuck with an old bank account, that can't receive payments anymore as the account number has been updated by the bank. However I can not update it within Paypal.

So all the money is stuck and I can't run my business, as its limits my cashflow drastically.

I tried to contact Paypal via Phone multiple times, but unfortunately there is no phone support due to covid.

This is completely reasonable, however some support via chat or email would be great.

Because via Email I only get the same canned, automatic answers. And if I actually get a real person replying to me, they just tell me to wait a few days and try again, or adding another bank account.

It feels like I am completely stuck and helpless, nobody really seems to care or wants to help resolving this issue.

I Kindly would like to ask PayPal to at least improve their email/chat support for as long as they don't have the phone support.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Login to Me Too
28 REPLIES 28

jo153
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I'm having this same issue. I have already tried several times so I think they have also locked me out from adding my account. Please what did they ask you to do to fix the problem?

Login to Me Too

overxposure
Contributor
Contributor

Their useless coolie chat support told me straight up to use another service. After trying for weeks to get help and no phone support, I lost $300 because PayPal returned the money to the payers since I could not claim my funds, even though it worked JUST FINE FOR A YEAR until May 2020. I did what their crappy support told me: I went with Patreon, Square, Zelle, and Cash.App for my payment processing. AFter nearly 20 years with PayPal - even LOSING business because people didn't want to use PayPal and I was loyal - I have finally wisened up. PayPal does NOT CARE AT ALL ABOUT THEIR CUSTOMERS and are now SO ARROGANT as to eliminate support and tell you to go somewhere else. YOU GOT IT, PAYPAL!!!

Login to Me Too

norakelemen
Contributor
Contributor

Hi @jo153 ,

I got a callback and they released it over the phone via a code that was texted to me while we were talking.

They told me I also could get help through their message centre somehow...

Hope this helps.

Nora

Login to Me Too

jo153
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the response Nora. I waited 2 days and tried again and it worked. 

Login to Me Too

atyyc
Contributor
Contributor

Same issue here. Canadian account and trying to add a US bank account that was linked to one PayPal account previously. Account info is correct and has worked in the past.

Has anyone here had the issue simply "resolve itself"? The bank I'm trying to link was also linked to a different PayPal account. According to Help Centre, you can't have a bank linked to more than one account (which is BS because I did just that with another account w/ no issues...), but given that, I removed the US bank account from the other soon-to-be-deactivated account yesterday, just in case that's what was causing the issue. I don't think it was that, because in one instance (with a credit card) I actually received a specific error message stating the card was linked to another account, so I'd have expected to see something similar here...

Anyway, my hope is this will fix itself. PayPal customer service has probably been the worse service I've ever received. Canned answers for days, even when you state clearly that the previous answer didn't even address your question. What a joke...

Login to Me Too

plug28
Contributor
Contributor

It tells me the same thing too,  just once or twice it says paypal balance on top of my linked credit card. How do I know my bank account is linked so my paypal account could be verified?

Login to Me Too

docglock
Contributor
Contributor

I know I'm late to this party, but I've been having the "Sorry, we can't link your bank account right now" issue for over a month.  I just now resolved it on my on.  Don't know what made me think to do this, but I changed my browser cookie setting temporarily to allow all cookies, tried to link again and it worked just like it should, then changed my setting back to not allow third party cookies.  

Maybe this will help someone.

Login to Me Too

NayaneVeras

It happened to me, lost money, time!

Thank you for your information.

Login to Me Too

benz818
New Community Member
I had same problem. I have a business PayPal acct and set up a personal acct. It keeps giving error when trying to add MY bank acct. The customer service is the worst I've ever experienced. Different reps keep responding to the thread and they have no clue what's going on. They ask if they can send me a pin code to my phone and then another rep will ask the same. It's rather embarrassing. The fact that they keep pushing their capital business loan is another embarrassing representation of this company. Plus they don't refund fees when you refund a customer. Sorry but I'll be using less and less of PayPal. Glad most the business partners do ach now.
Login to Me Too

atyyc
Contributor
Contributor
Yes—their service is absolutely embarrassing. To anyone curious—and this is going to shock you—but PayPal CAN actually add US banks for Canadian customers, just like the f*%#ing option I’m trying to use says :-). To their credit, I did finally speak with a rep who had everything resolved in 30 seconds. It’s just such an infuriating experience to have this company’s own employees boldfaced telling you that this option does not exist, and that the problem is not on their end when it so very clearly is... A piece of advice to trick these people in actually doing their job: If you’re like me, the issue was with adding a US bank to my Canadian account... an option I have used successfully before, and know works just fine. Don’t tell them any of this; just tell them you’re trying to add a bank account and are receiving an error. This way you don’t get these unhelpful twits telling you, “Sorry sir, but we don’t support US bank accounts for Canadian users.” I sent them screenshots upon screenshots trying to explain that, no, you actually DO offer this option, but it was pointless. PayPal, if you’re reading this, for the love of all that is holy please change the system through which you assess the performance of your support reps. It’s SOOO obvious that there is literally ZERO incentive to do anything other than burn through as many customer queries as possible, with quality not so much as an afterthought.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.