Paypal keeps asking for me to add a creditcard

Jade708
Contributor
Contributor

Here's the situation:

I decided a while ago that I wanted PayPal, cause it's safe and easy to use and also doesn't charge €20/year like most creditcards do. I used my account for online payments, mainly from the App Store.

Once, I clicked on "download" for an app that didn't have a price tag, I got charged anyway. I was so **bleep** off that I decided to ask PayPal for a refund, thinking that it was just like any other refund. But no: Apple banned PayPal as a payment method. Since then, I can't make any payment using PayPal anymore because it keeps asking me "please add a credit card to complete your purchase".

I decided to call PayPal. They told me they lifted everything that they decided to block for me. PayPal still asked for the creditcard... So I decided to call Apple. They did the same. The guy I had on the phone told me to have no hope, "try to make a new account", he said that he had the same issue years ago and that it still isn't solved.

It's still not solved, it's been two weeks and I'm so tired of it... The people working for PayPal have no idea what this is, does that make any sense??? It's YOUR company. And again... I chose PayPal over a creditcard... if you're gonna force me to get a creditcard anyway... what use does PayPal have? If I'd get a credit card I would just delete PayPal. From that moment I'd tell anyone who asks me a question about PayPal to just get a creditcard... because "you don't want to go through the **bleep** I had to deal with... and don't get me started on the payments that were put on hold - you hear me, not stopped, piling up until PayPal works again..."

I'm tired of these automatically generated responses that PayPal gives me all the time... I didn't ask for them to block everything... I asked for a refund.IMG_9521.JPG

Oh yeah and let's not forget EVERYONE ELSE that has the same issue and that you decide not to respond to!

https://www.paypal-community.com/t5/About-Payments-Archive/Paypal-is-suddenly-asking-to-add-a-credit...

Login to Me Too
35 REPLIES 35

SuchAHomebody
Contributor
Contributor

small update as it's been two weeks now: I still get asked to link a new payment method when trying to buy something and at this point I'm thinking about making a new bank account at another bank. Hopefully this problem won't happen again then. Paypal really needs to get their **bleep** together. 

Login to Me Too

Rossp99
I got the same problem, every time I talk to PayPal they have no idea what I am talking about and are clueless as to how to answer the question. The reason I have PayPal is so I won’t use my credit card but obviously PayPal doesn’t allow that
Login to Me Too

tunezin
Contributor
Contributor

My customers  had the same issue in my webshop (Netherlands), this is the reply I got from paypal if it helps anyone:

Most transactions on PayPal are sent while there is no money on the PayPal balance. PayPal then pays the money up front to the seller, and sends a direct debit to the bank account to get the funds.

If a PayPal customer is asked for a creditcard when trying to complete a transaction, it means our system cannot pay the money up front for this payment. Why our system cannot pay the money up front can be different for each customer.

Your buyers can complete the payment, by first adding money to their PayPal balance. Once the entire transaction amount is available on their PayPal balance, our system does not need to pay anything up front and they can try the payment again.

To add money a customer can log in on our website. Please let us know if you require any further assistance.

Login to Me Too

erikdenhouter

Had my first payment with Paypal. Got into the same problem, "Add a credit card. . .".

Tried a new order with the seller. Now that question was not there, but I was send back to the sellers page (Ebay), and the possibillity to pay with Paypal now was grayed out. Tried five times.

I use Firefox as browser. In that, I have the NoScript add-on as Javascript blocker, but allowing all for that sellers page did not solve the problem.

What I did was restarting my browser (Firefox) in Safe Mode (menu 'Help'), so no add-ons were loaded.

Then the payment went smooth 😊

Login to Me Too

MikePlattel
Same problem here. I have a Dutch Bank Account and want to order something online through PayPal before always could without linking credit card, which I don't even have /cant or don't want to have. I just wanna use PayPal with my bank account but it always asks for a credit card I am getting sick of it. PayPal solve it! Problem I am having is with Yandy.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@MikePlattel 

@erikdenhouter 

@wertamaki1 

@tunezin 

Found this link that may be useful, read the MODERATORS reply on it.

Make not solve the issue for you but may help to explain.

https://www.paypal-community.com/t5/Payments/making-me-add-a-debit-card/m-p/1725702#M54122

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.