Negative Balance I don't owe

gamerlover2020
Contributor
Contributor

I have called PayPal time and time again trying to get in contact with a person to speak to about my issue. The first time I was sent to a collections agency letting me know that I had been sent there. I was confused as PayPal had not given me any notifications or emails letting me know that my balance was negative or that I was sent to a collections agency. I worked with the person on the phone and I ended up sending PayPal statements and bank statements to the agency via email stating that I don't owe any money and this is an error on PayPal's part. I was told to wait 5-10 business days to call PayPal back to see if the issue has been resolved.

I call back and as I was trying to get a hold of the PayPal representative, or a collections representative at this rate, and I was told that the phone line for PayPal no longer works. I probably have called 10 times over the span of a few days trying to get a hold of anyone to help me but to no avail.

So I go through the message center to try to get some answers. The first time 3 different people comment relatively the same thing, all the information they gave me was information I could find in the help tab. They were no help at all. They closed that conversation about 5 messages in with no real clarity on what I'm supposed to do. I was told to go through the resolution center but there isn't a button that I could press that fit to my situation so that was a dead end.

Today I started another conversation and I got a response from Ayesha. To their credit, they did give more room to elaborate on my situation. However, they were just as unhelpful as the first conversation that I opened if not more unhelpful. I was told that a $150 chargeback happened Dec 6th. However, none of my payments in Nov or Dec. match that amount. I told them as such and they gave me a transaction ID to the transaction that put me in the negative. However, when I put that ID into the search bar of my Activity tab with no filters, no transaction came up. I sent them a screenshot of my screen and told them what I just said here. I was then told to look over my activity again and was given the customer service number, the one I've already called multiple times to no answer from a representative, and the conversation was closed. Not by me, but by Ayesha. Now, I would understand if they were just as confused as I was and told me so. But no. After I said I don't see what they were seeing, they immediately gave up and sent me back into the cycle of calling the number with no answer from a representative.

I am tired, frustrated, and disappointed with PayPal customer service. I am willing to work with them to figure out the error but every lead I'm given has left me at dead ends and I'm at my last straw. If anyone read to the end, can anyone give me advice on how to solve this that doesn't come from the help tab? 

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

GTtheGr8
New Community Member

Like me you probably used PayPal for convenience of being able to take credit cards. I am in the process of switching to Square to provide the same convenience. I am sure there are other similar options. You cannot call them by phone because you may have already been sent to collections. Suggest you just close the account and move on, there is nothing but frustration and aggravation on the path you are on now. If you had another reason for using PP, I suggest Zelle or Venmo have both worked well for me

Login to Me Too

RC121
New Community Member

I'm pretty much in the same boat.  My credit score has been dinged.  My account was fraudulently charged for a $789 phone to a stranger who lives 1,000s of miles away from me. That put my bank account in the negative--hello overdraft charges.  When I called to report the fraud, Paypal people were very nice and removed the charge and a week later, refunded the money to my bank.  Paid my bills.  Paycheck deposited.  Paypal did a retry on the SAME FRAUD TRANSACTION and it went through because my paycheck had just deposited.  I was not aware of this until some of my bills that are paid on an automatic basis started bouncing back.  Hello late fees and more overdraft charges.  I cancelled all the debit and credit cards attached to PayPal, changed my bank account number....and am still trying to get that $789 negative balance cleared from my account.  The story continues.  Payments were made to me totalling over $400.  Instead of putting that in my bank, they applied it to that negative balance that I do not owe because I did not authorize or reverse my fraud report.  I have called PayPal approximately 25 times in the following 16 weeks and have been cut off, disconnected, and ignored.  I am ready to call a lawyer and definitely will report to Better Business Bureau for outright planned theft.

Login to Me Too

Roxies1956
New Community Member

Call them **bleep** with 2 phones um request a supervised either PayPal or collections ask them what form of payment was used

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.