Moorcroft debt letter

Emsiep
Contributor
Contributor

I've just received a letter from moorcroft debt recovery for £137 debt with paypal?! They got my address incomplete. Secondly I have never been in debt with PayPal and owe nothing. Is this a scam or do I need to raise this with moorcroft!? Worrying to get this!

Login to Me Too
8 REPLIES 8

PayPal_Donna

Hello Emsiep,

Welcome to the PayPal community and thank you for your post.

In this situation, the best thing to do would be to contact our Customer Care department. You can do this by going to the ‘Contact Us’ link at the bottom of every PayPal page. You will then see what contact options are available to you. 

-Donna

Login to Me Too

Dcc4
Contributor
Contributor

It seems contacting PayPal is off until 4th January. I’ve tried all avenues I could find but they’re all not available. Notice your complaint was December too : think PayPal lost some information to fraudsters 

Login to Me Too

Dcc4
Contributor
Contributor

I received a debt letter from Moorcroft on xmas eve . I stopped using PayPal as I don’t trust them one bit . I’d be interested in knowing how many people are receiving these demands and have they impacted your credit score , as we may be able to sue them for any adverse effect these cause.

Login to Me Too

Emsiep
Contributor
Contributor
It does seem quite worrying. Someone had managed to rack up a debt with PayPal using my name, Dob and address, yet with a different email. Action fraud were really good on the phone and logged a crime reference number. Moorcroft were also helpful and have froze the letter and I have also contacted PayPal today. Fingers crossed it was a one off. I'm pretty fuming though
Login to Me Too

Dcc4
Contributor
Contributor

Hi emsleep you’re the third today with this debt letter issue:- seems it could be a big problem for PayPal with crooks stealing name and address and opening cloned accounts. 

Login to Me Too

MiniEgg00
Contributor
Contributor

Just so you're all aware it's still continuing in 2022, I got a letter today from Moorcroft for £1433.38.
My name and address used, but again not my email or phone number. Bonkers.

Got my Action Fraud number - wish me luck!

Login to Me Too

grubbins
New Community Member

Looks like this happened to me too. Moorcroft sent a letter to a very old address of mine in the UK, which was forwarded to me here in sunny Australia. Moorcroft said that they're collecting on behalf of Paypal and confirmed my name and DOB, but an email address that isn't mine (and apparently Moorcroft's advisor is not allowed to tell me what the email address is?). Reading this thread, I assume someone opened a fraudulent account in my name.

Frustratingly it seems that the only working contact option I have is to call Paypal Australia. I will see how I get on!

Login to Me Too

Emsiep
Contributor
Contributor
It's so frustrating to have to deal with it and worrying too. I haven't heard anything since I reported to the fraud team of PayPal and the UK credit fraud agency. I'm hoping it's the last of it. Good luck!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.