How to change Paypal currency conversion @ checkout ?

Temp20220322ba
New Community Member

I would like to check whether the option to make payment in seller's currency is no long available, I ran through a few guides and googled but i simply could not find the setting for preapproved payment in paypal.

Appreciate if the community guide me if the option is still available, thank you

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

PayPal_JonK

Hello @Temp20220322ba,

That's a great question! Here's a Help Center article you may find useful: How do I pay in a foreign currency using my credit card through PayPal?

Welcome to the PayPal Community!

- Jon K

If you find this or any other post was helpful, make our community better by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Login to Me Too

darisgin
Contributor
Contributor

Below is a copy/paste of the instructions from the page you linked (emphasis mine):

When you use a credit card as the payment method, we ask you to choose who performs the currency conversion:

• If you choose PayPal, we can show you the conversion rate at the time of the transaction
  • If you choose the credit card association currency conversion, your card issuer will determine the foreign exchange rate to apply to the transaction. You will not be informed of the foreign exchange rate or any additional foreign exchange fees applied until you are billed by your card issuer

This is not the case: In trying to pay an invoice in a foreign currency and using my on-file credit card, I am afforded no opportunity to choose my credit card issuer as the entity to make the conversion (and, thus, "determine the foreign exchange rate").

If this is an error on the PayPal "Help" page you linked, why has PayPal not updated the page? If this is a change in policy (i.e., there is now no choice: PayPal is the only option for foreign-currency conversion), why hasn't PayPal (1) updated the "Help" page and (2) made the change public (or at least made searchable)?

Login to Me Too

darisgin
Contributor
Contributor

Solved -Policy as of 8/2/21 (condensed): 

Currency conversion choices

When your payment is funded by a debit or credit card ... you may have the right to have your card issuer perform the currency conversion. ... Currency preference selections may be presented ... including choice of currency, whether PayPal or your card issuer performs the conversion, or conversion rate and may be made available individually for each card. If your card issuer converts the currency, your card issuer will determine the rate and fees.

I can confirm: Different cards allow for different options (e.g., Visa, yes; Discover, no).

Voici, Voilà.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.