How do I specify my backup funding source?

magillilnb
Contributor
Contributor

It doesn't look like we have control over which backup method PayPal uses for certain types of payments.  I donate to charities on Facebook and also pay for other online purchases using PayPal.  PayPal automatically makes the payment with whatever primary source I choose.  But it does the backup when needed like this:

"For one-time Bill Pay payments, if you have not set a preferred payment method or if your preferred payment method is unavailable (for example, because it is expired or has insufficient funds) the payment method used will be in the following order, if applicable: 1. Funds held as balance in your PayPal Balance account (if one is linked to your personal PayPal account); 2. Bank account; 3. PayPal co-branded debit card; 4. PayPal co-branded credit card; 5. Debit card; 6. Credit card; and 7. E-check."

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

ajhall2012
Contributor
Contributor

It took me awhile but I finally found the answer to your question (and mine!). I have a business account so if yours is not a business account I'm not sure if this will help but hopefully will lead in the right direction. 

First go to Account settings from the top right corner

account settings.png

on the left side, scroll down and click on Money, banks and cards

money cards.png

then on the right, scroll down and click Manage Automatic Payments in the Automatic Payments section

manage auto payments.png

scroll down and on the left, click Manage Funding Sources

manage funding sources.png

you will then have the option to select or uncheck options for your preferred way to pay for subscriptions and automatic payments. 

I'm not 100% this is going to work but I unchecked the ones I did not want to be used and fingers crossed that was correct. It looks like it is. 🙂

Login to Me Too

NSiaw
Contributor
Contributor

No, that wasn't it.

I don't think the problem I was having years ago is a problem anymore.

Now I see this:

NSiaw_0-1681849508270.png

Instead of being told it'll use whatever card was last added as backup when no funds are available, it says it'll ask me to choose another method. I went and purchased something just to be sure and I didn't see the message regarding using a backup source for funds.

So idk if this is still a problem.

I also don't know why a reply was selected as the solution when I never did that. The chosen solution is wrong as it does not apply to the issue I was having. I even replied to that post saying that wasn't it. I only got as far as step 3 in their reply.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_paula

Hi @NSiaw and welcome back, 

Please follow the steps here to choose your preferred back up funding source when making payments. You can also change your payment method on each transaction. When you are making a payment and have no balance it will show you where the funds will come from. You will see any option that says "more funding options". Here you can choose which funding source you want to use. Please note: When you change your funding option during a transaction this does not change it for all transactions, it will just be for that particular transaction. 

I hope this helps and please feel free to post again if you have any questions, 

Paula 

Login to Me Too

Kdude3
Contributor
Contributor
How do i set my backup funding source for my paypal account when paypal balance is the preferred funding source?
Login to Me Too

PayPal_Ayesha

Hello @Kdude3

Welcome to PayPal Community Forum and thank you for posting!

I understand your concern about setting up funding source on your PayPal account. Please be informed that if you have available balance that will be the first priority used before your preferred payment method. If there there is no balance in the account, the funds will be retrieved from your linked preferred funding source. 

Here’s how to set preferred payment method:

1. Go to your Wallet
  2. Click the financials you'd like to use as your preferred payment method.
  3. Click Set as preferred.

Regards,
    Ayesha

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

Kdude3
Contributor
Contributor

No, I'm trying to the BACKUP funding source, not the primary funding source. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.