Crypto Sale Funds Hold

ariesboy33305
Contributor
Contributor

Why is crypto sale funds being held again for three days? It was my understanding that the hold was more for your first crypto sale, but NOT for every other transaction!  My last sale of ETH was for a larger amount, and that went immediately to my PayPal balance. I made this transaction logged into my personal Paypal account and it verified me using both facial ID and password. I am now losing money on a reinvestment opportunity due to hold and I was planning on doing this transaction on PayPal as well.  It's only $1,500 and not some five or six-figure transaction which would be more understandable.   This is no different than ransomware and feels more like short-term theft by PayPal....hope the mainstream media doesn't get ahold of this.   Is there a way of knowing BEFORE I do a sale if the funds are going to be held from me or not??  And I have read the 'Cryptocurrency on PayPal FAQ' which was not helpful.  And my app seems to think that this was an eBay transaction and I need to update my shipping address to get my money???!  I bought and sold crypto on CashApp and funds were always available instantly because I was verified by the app.  That's the point of verification....so we don't get our funds held from us.  It appears that PayPal is 'floating' our money for short-term investments of their own.  I would much rather pay fee for the transaction in exchange for not having the funds withheld from me and causing me to potentially lose hundreds in a missed re-investment opportunity.  So far, not a good experience on Paypal Crypto compared to other exchanges.   Also, it appears that resolution center is not accepting new tickets....keeps saying there is something wrong on their end.   Yeah, right!   Thank you for you prompt attention to this issue.

Login to Me Too
81 REPLIES 81

stroker15
Contributor
Contributor

You'll get your money for sure, when you'll  get it is another story.  It all depends on how the transfer is made.  If it is an ACH (Automated Clearing House) bank to bank type transfer, then it could take a day or up to 3 days.  ACH transfers usually happen in batches,  I think about 3 times a day.  And there's different types of ACH transfers, fast and slow.  Fast is usually one day.  There's info online about how ACH transfers work and how long they take.  Then if you're transferring to your debit card, that's a different type of transfer I think, and it can happen much faster.  

The information about how long it should take should be on coinbase,  because it's pretty much up to them which type of ACH transfer they select and the speed they want it to happen at.  Faster costs them more in general.  But I've made several transfers from coinbase to my bank and I have always gotten the money, I don't remember how long it took though.  You will get the money, I just don't know how fast, you'll have to get that info from coinbase.  

Login to Me Too

bitcoinroo
Contributor
Contributor
They are making money when holding funds apart the fee we paid.
Login to Me Too

Iggyp06
Contributor
Contributor
No sir......FINALLY got a release date of the 21st so finger crossed. Also i got ahold of "customer service" but only receive generic responses.
Login to Me Too

hjaassdd
Contributor
Contributor

They will lose me as a crypto currency customer forever. That's it.

Login to Me Too

PeruvianHghlndr
Contributor
Contributor
@SamP89, I did get every penny, but after 72 hours! I lost about 10% on the move, with a 20% opportunity loss. I am used to using real crypto exchanges, and PayPal certainly is not one (to be fair, they don't claim to be). If someone wants to only hodl and trusts PayPal and not exchanges, that would be the only use case where PayPal makes sense. If you ever want to make trades, PayPal makes no sense.
Login to Me Too

SnP1
Revolut seems to be an excellent choice. It’s bank and you can transfer funds from your Debit card immediately for free. You can pay $8 per month to have %1.5 fees and have a $800 no fee limit. I am sick of this transfer robbery.
Login to Me Too

recon11
Contributor
Contributor

I had two small crypto sales of 2500 and 5000 both were locked up in holds and when i couldnt use the online help as it doesnt work I called paypal, and after explaining to four of the representitives that you dont ship crypto in a box for the most part and paypal has the crypto, I was told 21 day hold on the 5000.00,so if you are reading this go to another platform where you can buy and sell freely without them holding your money . seems like they want to use our funds to buy crypto but dont want to pay it out when its time . This may or may not be legal but it most certainly is nonsense and bad buisness. I will not buy crypto again on pay pal  I will use coinbase  the actually pay out the sales immediatly so i can rebuy and make money not loose it.

Login to Me Too

Ahmedax
Contributor
Contributor
It took 7 days for me to get my money
Login to Me Too

stroker15
Contributor
Contributor

I just sold some crypto so I could purchase something that was on sale.  They put my money on a 72 hour hold.  Luckily the sale is valid for 5 days or I would have sold the crypto for nothing.  

I moved my Coinbase money to Paypal thinking Paypal is easier to use and would be just as fast with transfers.  Unfortunately not.  I will be moving my money back to Coinbase.  It's too bad because Paypals fees seem to be lower, but locking up my money for days just doesn't work for me.  I hope Paypal changes this soon.  

Login to Me Too

Ahmedax
Contributor
Contributor

arriesboy33305 you made all the excellent points.  I was happy to PayPal over investing in crypto currency.  Mind you with hefty fees.  They were quick to take money out of my savings account and quick to complete my bitcoin purchase.  Now I cant have access to my money from its sale.  I have been a member of PayPal since 2006 and trying to talk to someone or send an email is impossible.  I have tried for the past three days. Either there service is down (ooops something went wrong on our end) or they say everyone is busy and call back later.  Basically you cant contact them.  My last option is complain here and hopefully someone from PayPal may see this.  

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.