Cards missing from PayPal checkout on a specific retailer only?

unwed_armchair
Contributor
Contributor

I'm trying to use PayPal checkout at a specific retailer and for some reason half my PayPal wallet's cards are missing as available to be selected. No error messages, no reasons given. They're just missing.

I tried another retailer and they're all there. I contacted the credit card issuer (American Express) of the cards missing and they said there's nothing wrong on their end and they're not blocking anything. I also contacted the retailer and they have no idea, nor do they feel any responsibility to look into it. They explicitly do accept Amex.

I've tried multiple devices & browsers, same issue on all of them. I can't figure out what could possibly be causing this. The only thing I can think of is that for some reason, even though they accept Amex when paid directly or via Apple Pay, they have inadvertently blocked Amex when PayPal is the payment gateway?

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

PayPal_JonK

Hello @unwed_armchair

Welcome to the PayPal Community Forum. I'm sorry to hear you've run into some issues checking out at a specific retailer. It sounds like your payment may have been running into some issues being blocked by our security system. Have you tried the steps listed in this Help Center article: Why was my payment declined?

Those normally do the trick. If they don't help, please feel free to reach out to our Customer Support teams for assistance. 

Good luck!

- Jon K

If you find this or any other post was helpful, make our community better by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Login to Me Too

unwed_armchair
Contributor
Contributor

I ran into this same issue trying another retailer but this time tried the "add card" option and typed in the info, then tried to save. It errored saying that only Visa, MasterCard, and Discover were supported. These were both two major airlines which accept American Express. It appears their PayPal Checkout implementations, however, do not. I find that very strange.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.