Cannot add Tangerine bank account to Paypal - Customer Service couldn't help

ColinM03
Contributor
Contributor

When I add my Tangerine bank account I have been getting this error for the past two weeks.

"We were unable to process your bank account registration at this time. We apologize for the inconvenience. Please try again at a later date."

The first agent I spoke with said he couldn't help with his available "options" and maybe it is because my server isn't secure that they are giving me this message for my "security." Weird... my wifi is password protected. Then he told me to wait 48 hours, then add my debit card before adding the bank. I told him it looked like you can only add credit cards, not bank debit cards through the link under "Money" and he said it will accept my Tangerine card. 48 hours later when I click the add card button, it clearly only accepts credit cards which was my initial suspicion.

I then got through to another agent and explained the situation. She told me she could not unblock my bank account and that Tangerine bank accounts were blocked. This seems odd because when you click "Add a Bank Account", Tangerine bank is one of the available options you can choose from, so obviously Paypal accepts Tangerine accounts, otherwise there wouldn't be a Tangerine logo to choose from. When confronted with this, she was incoherent and just kept repeating that she couldn't unblock the account. She said I should call my bank to ask why, and then I told her it is Paypal that is rejecting the account so Paypal should be able to explain why. This entry level agent didn't really know much at all and couldn't come up with any valid reason or specifics other than she cannot add the account.

Any ideas here? All of the information was entered correctly. 

Login to Me Too
25 REPLIES 25

CalvinVadivelu
Contributor
Contributor

I assume no one has been able to find a solution to this problem?

Should I be creating another bank account so that I can link it and verify my PayPal account?

Login to Me Too

staceymarkle
Contributor
Contributor

looks like there is no solution. There is a note at the very bottom of the instructions to add an account that most online only banks are not compatible with paypal. sucks!!!

Login to Me Too

Wilbour
Contributor
Contributor

Nope, me neither

Login to Me Too

pet01
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

I have the same problem, I pass all the authentications, then after the page says <gather account information> it finally gets back to the main page where it says <You haven't linked anything yet>.

I tried linking other banks, it is not linking any of my banks, does not matter if I try with the online info or using the checking info.

As most of the support are saying to try at a later time, I retry, and retry, and there are several days since I am trying, different browsers, different computers.

Lot of time lost lost, and lot of frustration.

If I new it, I would never chose Paypal as the payout option. Big mistake I did not try to link the bank account before setting Paypal as payout option. Now I am stuck not being able to transfer my own money from the Paypal account to my bank, which I need so urgent.

I set back to older the bank institution, to prevent more money to get into the Paypal account and get blocked there, until I get his resolved.

Login to Me Too

pet01
Contributor
Contributor

I found on the Paypal help that some virtual banks may not be compatible with Paypal, and as Tangerine is a virtual bank, will eventually not work, but why include it on the banks list in this case?

Also banks like TD Bank, Royal Bank, National Bank, Desjardins, as they are on the list, and not virtual banks, it should be working, so why is not working? Is it the bank that prevents to link the bank account to Paypal, for security reasons, or is it Paypal which puts restrictions into the client account? 

Anyone has one of those banks linked?

Thanks you!

Login to Me Too

staceymarkle
Contributor
Contributor

I have my TD account linked no problem but when I put in a ticket to look into the Tangerine issue, they said it's a known problem  I've been put on a list for the upgrade whenever it happens. 

Login to Me Too

Non-verbal
Contributor
Contributor

Same problem with me . Paypal = garbage.

Login to Me Too

LynnRaj89
Still have this problem in February of 2021. PayPal is online only, why the compatibility issue? What an inconvenience, and no fix in over 3 years? Goodbye PayPal
Login to Me Too

Coreyc993
Yup been dealing with paypal for a week now.. I'm getting the exact same run around story!!!! Opened up another bank account even still nothing! Completely done with paypal. Agents are as useful as a bucket without a bottom... Completely USELESS
Login to Me Too

JFsim
Contributor
Contributor

PAYPAL  Ø  TANGERINE
NOTICE: KEEP IN MIND IT IS IMPOSSIBLE AND FIND ANOTHER SOLUTION.

- I've tried with PAYPAL support many time with many levels of employees - No positive results
- I've tried with TANGERINE support many time with many levels of employees - No positive results
- Tried many times over a year - No positive results
- The better clue I ad was to modify the bank account number to match paypal criterias, which gave me a step further in the process, but deposits and withdrawals to confirm the bank account never worked -or- never appear in my Tangerine online transactions, so impossible to confirm to paypal the 2 amounts, resulting in impossibility to link Tangerine Bank Account (canada) with paypal.

Bottom line - Forget it, they said they can, but they CAN'T.
Stop waisting your time as I did with this impossible feature that no one care both side anyway: Tangerine Ø paypal !

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.