American Express add card error

Sandri8sen
New Community Member

Hello, when I try to add a American Express credit card, I'm getting an error telling me ,,Sorry, we can’t add this card. Please try adding a different card to your account., My CreditCard is valid, it works on other services, i'm paying with this card always. The bank told me that the card is working. Does anyone have a solution for this?

Thanks !

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Sandri8sen 

Paypal is 'country specific' so advice often depends on what country you are in. As you have not added your country to your community profile or said in your post then we can't help at the moment.

However if you are US then does the name on your card match the name on your paypal account?

Does the billing address of the card match the address on your paypal account?

Did you confirm the card with the 4 digit code (think you said you did).

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
7 REPLIES 7

eniemi
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Sandri8sen

If you already have opened your card to internet purchases and have money (about 1-2 USD) on the card, you may need to contact customer support as the system may be blocking you from adding it.

Login to Me Too
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Sandri8sen 

Paypal is 'country specific' so advice often depends on what country you are in. As you have not added your country to your community profile or said in your post then we can't help at the moment.

However if you are US then does the name on your card match the name on your paypal account?

Does the billing address of the card match the address on your paypal account?

Did you confirm the card with the 4 digit code (think you said you did).

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

localhero
Contributor
Contributor

I'm having the same problem.  I'm in the US and everything matches, card is good, etc.   I tried adding it over the phone with the same result and customer service is closed due to Covid.   Any tricks to figure out what the hitch is?  

Login to Me Too

localhero
Contributor
Contributor

Problem solved.  Apparently my card had been deactivated due to non-use.   It's reactivated now and was accepted by Paypal.

Login to Me Too

AndreaMoon
Contributor
Contributor

I am having this same issue all of a sudden out of the clear blue sky. My American express has been on my account. I have been utilizing my PayPal as a payment option for In-App purchases. All of a sudden two days ago it has been giving me problems. Saying my CVC is wrong which it is not. All my information has not changed. The Amex is not expired and I put the information in correct. I did have to order a new paypal cash card, but that was done over a week ago. I want to be able to use PayPal as my funding source only. I won't have any other cards other than my new PayPal cash card, and my Jackson hewitt American Express. Again it has been working up until 2 days ago. Everything is spelled properly. I am in the US. What to do? Is AMEX having issues or you guys?

Andrea

Login to Me Too

bengan63
Contributor
Contributor

It looks like after April1 2021 my Amex is no longer in my card list. It was my default payment card for years and years and now it's gone !!

When I try to add it, I get a message 'card declined'. I have sent a message via chat but have yet to hear from Paypal.

In the mean time I contacted American express, via telephone which is nice, and they checked everything on that end and there is no block or anything else wrong. So the problem must be with PayPal. I have had the same Amex card for 20 years and have been using it as payment methond with PayPal for many many years. So what happend ??  what has changed ?

I got an email telling me to activate my credit card via the link after I log in. But there is no link and no credit card visible anywhere.

So please let me know what I now have to do to get it back

thank you

Login to Me Too

CGoeke
New Community Member
Same problem and no solution from Paypal
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.