ARL Collect Text Messages

Ambersher
Contributor
Contributor
I keep receiving text messages from ARL debt collection about $566 but I never use paypal and my paypal balance is zero? They have my date of birth and mobile number but not my email, it’s someone else’s email attached to their records. Any advice?
Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

Powderworks
Contributor
Contributor

Heya. 

I have had a similar problem.

ARL are a real debt collection agency used by PayPal .

Identity theft could be the problem.

I had been receiving texts from ARL informing me of a PayPal debt when my PayPal account was not showing a negative balance.

thinking these texts were a scam I deleted them and blocked the senders number.

Months later I receive a letter in the mail from ARL asking for payment for outstanding PayPal debt . 

I have no debt.

I rang PayPal Australia (who answered promptly) and spoke someone there who looked into this and established that someone had created a PayPal account using my name , address , date of birth ,phone number  and I don't now what other information. 

The only indication that this was the case is that the email address on their account was different to my email address.

The scammer ran up a debt with my identity that I was being chased for.

PayPal established the account was fraudulent and would be in contact with ARL to advise them also , was told I did not need to contact ARL , I was not liable for this debt and this issue would be resolved by PayPal . I received a 'ticket' number for future reference.

Hoping this is helpful .

Ian

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
8 REPLIES 8
Solved

Powderworks
Contributor
Contributor

Heya. 

I have had a similar problem.

ARL are a real debt collection agency used by PayPal .

Identity theft could be the problem.

I had been receiving texts from ARL informing me of a PayPal debt when my PayPal account was not showing a negative balance.

thinking these texts were a scam I deleted them and blocked the senders number.

Months later I receive a letter in the mail from ARL asking for payment for outstanding PayPal debt . 

I have no debt.

I rang PayPal Australia (who answered promptly) and spoke someone there who looked into this and established that someone had created a PayPal account using my name , address , date of birth ,phone number  and I don't now what other information. 

The only indication that this was the case is that the email address on their account was different to my email address.

The scammer ran up a debt with my identity that I was being chased for.

PayPal established the account was fraudulent and would be in contact with ARL to advise them also , was told I did not need to contact ARL , I was not liable for this debt and this issue would be resolved by PayPal . I received a 'ticket' number for future reference.

Hoping this is helpful .

Ian

Login to Me Too

Looksnot
Contributor
Contributor
Hi thnx for info. Did you have any other problems on any other platforms? Same thing happened to me today.
Login to Me Too

Powderworks
Contributor
Contributor
Gday mate. At this time I have had no other issues that I am aware of. I have done credit checks on myself and its not looking like there have been anyone applying for credit with my details. I would advise you to do the same. You can get a free credit check from each provider every three months - by law. With the high profile recent data breaches Im thinking that pretty much anyone that had our details … online shopping ect, its only a matter of time that personal information will be widely out there and identity theft would be rife. I reported my situation to police as it is a criminal offense. Not much they can do tho. Wishing you all the best with your situation. Ian 😎
Login to Me Too

Looksnot
Contributor
Contributor
Thanks for the quick reply, helps put my mind at ease. The person ran up over 1k, looks like they're selling items, now getting charge backs... PayPal saying I don't have to pay at least. Yes just put a 1month credit ban on, and will get credit report tomorrow. Thanks again, much appreciated
Login to Me Too

Lu902
Contributor
Contributor
Hey Ian I am in the same boat now but struggling to find a phone number to call customer service. Can you please share the line you called? Cheers
Login to Me Too

Looksnot
Contributor
Contributor
Just contact PayPal Australia..they sorted my problem out straight away. Someone used my dob, name, address to set up an account. Then started selling items they didn't have in eBay. They'll be able to see that they used a different email and phone number and bank account.
Login to Me Too

Lu902
Contributor
Contributor
Thanks for your reply. I am trying to contact them; would prefer to call and can’t find a number online. Hopefully their email support is able to assist me as I’ve also lodged a request there too.
Login to Me Too

Powderworks
Contributor
Contributor

[removed] I used this number. It takes paypal a while to investigate and call off arl. If you don't need new credit consider a monthly, yearly or permanent credit block with the 3 agencies in australia. That way the scammers cant get credit in your name. A paypal account is easily set up in someone else's name with very few identity details required. Anyone can do it. Paypal should be more vigilant with these fraudulent accounts being set up. Its just causing innocent people grief. All the best. Ian

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.