refund for 3 month old purchase

Stuart_B
Contributor
Contributor

Apologies if this is in the wrong place. It's been a while and this board looks completely different.

In early June I bought a cheap kettle ...£11 and a couple of weeks ago it started leaking from the seal round the water levenl window. I contacted the seller and was offered £5 without any need to return it . I declined this and the seller hasnt responded to my subsequent messages .

I contacted Paypal and couldnt get in to the resolution centre but in a mesage nverstaion I was told they could do nothing because the item had worked for 3 onths and now wasnt so Paypals Policies didn't allow them to do anything .

I protested that as the fault had occurred in the first 6 months it was considered that it had been faulty since the day I got it but to no avail but eventually,when I said I would contact my bank) the agent said he would give me a credit of £8 to use against my next purchase.

Later I messaged the seller asking if he would pay the balance of £3 and I await his response if any.

Is that the way Paypal normally work ...just ignoring a fault which occurs within a short period of purchase plus the fact the seller doesnt respond to messages. That seems so so wrong .

Stuart

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Stuart_B 

Your best bet is to read up on paypals buyer protection policy in their user agreement so you can see what you are and what you are not covered for.

However basically you are covered for non receipt of item OR item received but not as described, however you hadn't just received it you have had it 3 months and paypal does not provide guarantees.

The 6 months is to allow for items that are pre-sales or international that may take a lot longer.

However about trying your credit card issuer if you funded your paypal payment that way OR small claims court? 

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Stuart_B 

Your best bet is to read up on paypals buyer protection policy in their user agreement so you can see what you are and what you are not covered for.

However basically you are covered for non receipt of item OR item received but not as described, however you hadn't just received it you have had it 3 months and paypal does not provide guarantees.

The 6 months is to allow for items that are pre-sales or international that may take a lot longer.

However about trying your credit card issuer if you funded your paypal payment that way OR small claims court? 

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Stuart_B
Contributor
Contributor
Thx for your response.Well I'm only short of £2.99 so if the seller doesn't pay me that then it's hardly worthwhile doing anything about that...I would have contacted Santander if Paypal hadn't credited me with The £8. The 6 months I referred to was the U.K. Consumer legislation that relates to faults within that period being regarded as having existed at time of purchase thx again SB
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Stuart_B 

UK regs would cover you for a small claims court action but it would not apply to what paypal offers for you.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.