new type of fraud? Payment errors, requesting refund.

240ta
New Community Member

In two days I received two identical payments from two different random people.  After both I received an email saying that had made an error and would like the money refunded.   It is far too much of a coincidence that two completely different people sent the same amount at the same time in error.

Paypal needs a 'reject payment' option because I'm not touching that money, I haven't accepted it, and I'm certainly not sending any money to them as a refund. 

It would be far too easy for them to have used a stolen credit card on a hacked account to send me the money and then replace that card with a good card for the refund.

Paypal won't let me dispute the transaction, there is no reject button available, so I sent a help message telling them to reject the transaction but that I won't touch the money.

Anyone else run into this?

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

PayPal_JonK

Hello @240ta,

Welcome to the PayPal Community! I'm sorry to hear you've received an unknown transaction. If you do receive a payment from an unknown party, I would recommend refunding the transaction by clicking the Refund button the transaction. I would not recommend sending a payment via bank, credit card or other funding source. Here's how to properly Issue a Refund.

If you do not see an actual transaction in your PayPal account, here's how to Report Notifications as Spoof.

I hope that helps!

- Jon K

If you find this or any other post was helpful, make our community better by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.