conversion rates on payment website is different to the currency calculator on the paypal website?

joelgoh
New Community Member

Im trying to buy something online and using paypal as payment but the prices are different. The rate conversion on the website is different to the one on the paypals currency convertor rate? What do i do?Paypal WebsitePaypal WebsiteWebsite oneWebsite one

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@joelgoh 

The regardless of what the calculator says, it is an estimate. See the note under the exchange rates in the first picture? “This rate is an estimate based on the current rate and includes PayPal’s currency conversion spread.”

The effective rate will be determined at the time of transaction. To use your card’s rate instead of PayPal’s rate, you’d want to pay in the currency you are charged (USD), click “See currency options” link and select USD.

If your card issuer converts the currency, your card issuer will determine the currency conversion rate and the fees they may charge. You won’t know what the rate is until after you’ve paid, though. Generally, most card’s/banks give a bit of an advantage. You can check your card agreement terms on foreign transactions.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

SPACELINGS
New Community Member
Currency - the exchange rate used by PayPal is 15 % over bankrate. Where can I change to use bank rate? Sending to US from Europe
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.