can't issue refund

cusconat
Contributor
Contributor

I have a Paypal business account in a non-US country. I need to issue a refund to a client, but it tells me "You don’t have sufficient balance to complete this refund" because obviously I transferred the funds to our bank account when it was received.  So apparently you must have funds in the actual PayPal account in order to issue refunds. Fine, however when I go to our wallet, there is no option to transfer money to the PayPal account even though we have a linked bank account and linked credit card. I've looked up help articles about transfering money to the account and it says that you should be able to just go to the wallet and click "transfer money" but we have no such option. What exactly am I supposed to do in order to refund our client? I can't believe that something so basic is so difficult, I have spent more than an hour now trying to figure out something that should take literally 2 seconds. Any help or experience with this would be helpful, thanks.

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

mounir991
Contributor
Contributor

If you are unable to issue a refund due to insufficient funds in your PayPal account, you have a few options to add funds:

1. Transfer from a linked bank account: You can transfer funds from a linked bank account to your PayPal account to cover the refund. To do this, log in to your PayPal account, go to the "Wallet" section, and click on the "Transfer money" button. You may need to allow a few business days for the transfer to complete.

2. Add a credit card: You can add a credit card to your PayPal account and use it to make the refund. To do this, log in to your PayPal account, go to the "Wallet" section, and click on the "Link a card" button. You can then use the credit card to make the refund.

3. Request an advance: If you have a PayPal Business account, you may be eligible for PayPal Working Capital, which allows you to request an advance to cover your business needs, including refunds. To apply, log in to your PayPal account, go to the "Tools" section, and click on the "PayPal Working Capital" button.

It's also possible that there may be a restriction on your account that is preventing you from making transfers or adding funds. In this case, you may need to contact PayPal customer support for assistance in resolving the issue.

Login to Me Too

cusconat
Contributor
Contributor

Did you read my post? As I said in the post, I have both a linked bank account and a linked credit card. It doesn't give me the option to transfer funds, nor does it offer me the option to use the credit card to pay the refund.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@cusconat 

You should be able to fund a refund from your bank account OR funds in your balance.

So have you confirmed your bank account after adding it?

Have you had a negative balance or failed bank transfer at all recently that may have disabled that bank account?

Another option would be to ask a friend or family member to 'send' you funds to your balance and you pay them back another way.

If you don't have the friends/family option in your country however you may incur a fee but that may be worth paying to sort your issues out?

If you can't issue a refund from bank or balance then I would contact customer services for more advice.

Contact options for each countries Paypal customer services are accessed by clicking help/contact bottom left of Paypal pages.

1. Paypal phones (you can use the guest option if you can't log in).
2. Live chat is also randomly available.
3. You can send them a message, (during business hours you may also be able to message whilst logged out).
4. Have you considered contacting Customer Service via Facebook or Twitter?
You can send them a personal message from their Facebook or Twitter pages.
It's: https://www.facebook.com/PayPal and @AskPayPal for Twitter.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@mounir991 

Most of that advice is completely wrong for the original poster who is in Peru !! 

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

cusconat
Contributor
Contributor

I have added a bank account but there is no option to "confirm" it, in fact it keeps asking me to link a bank account on the home screen even though I have already added one and used it various times. Obviously there is some kind of bug.

The option about sending some money from a personal account may be the way we have to do it, but really that is not how things should be conducted in a business and it's pretty unbelievable that PayPal would provide no way to do something so incredibly simple. Why am I needing to use a workaround trick to accomplish one of the most basic functions of a payment platform? It really makes no sense.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@cusconat 

Don't use that option then, I was only going suggesting it to help you sort your issue out.

Most folks can fund refunds from a bank account or balance, but that's country specific so you would need to look into reasons why your bank is not being used in your countries user agreement.

Or contact customer services as I have already advised.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.