Why doesn't PayPal have a "Prize" option for transactions?

Adam_CU
New Community Member

I was recently one of the winners of a game jam (basically a competition for making games) and the prize I received was money. I found out the hard way that PayPal holds money for 21 days for goods/services, unless the seller provides proof that the sale went through. This is especially annoying because, as this is prize money and not a sale, there is no way for me to prove that my goods/services were received because there weren't any to begin with. So, I have to wait the full 21 days until I can access the money I won. I feel like this whole problem would be completely resolved if PayPal just had a "prize money" category, so that winners of competitions/lotteries/etc wouldn't have to wait a full 21 days before getting access to their money.

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Adam_CU 

Just mark the transaction as “processed” instead of “shipped” or for digital or intangible services (not requiring shipping) and receive the funds after 7 days.

The closest option would be PayPal Payouts (aka Mass Payouts). The sender pays the fees. If this was one winner, it could be why they didn’t use it or because it requires having to sign up for the service. https://www.paypal.com/us/brc/article/paypal-mass-payments

Maybe ask sender why they didn’t send it as friends and family.

Since you weren’t expecting to win or get this money until awarded why would it matter when you got it. It’s not an emergency just be grateful you won. Shoot, let me win that money, I don’t mind waiting. lol  Just like if you had won that recent 1 billion plus dollar Megaball lottery drawing, but at a small scale, you don’t get the money instantly either. There is a process.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.