Why did Paypal take money from my bank account after I cancelled a payment? Will I get it back?

SamZak
Contributor
Contributor

I purchased an item on Grailed a few days ago and I decided to cancel the pending automatic payment because I found it elsewhere. The day after, the money from that transaction left my bank account and I couldn't understand why. I contacted the seller and he said that he did not receive any money. In the end, I decided to buy the item from this seller after all and I made the same purchase (which is not an automatic payment but a purchase and is still pending). Now I ask myself if I bought the same item twice or if I'll get refunded for the very first payment. 

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

PayPal_Tricia

Hi @SamZak

Sorry for any confusion this caused. 

Once a payment is sent using a bank, we're unable to stop or cancel the bank transfer, even if the payment is later cancelled or refunded. The bank transfer can take up to 5 business days to complete. If the payment was cancelled, the money would be sent to your PayPal balance. 

I hope this information helps!

Thanks, 
PayPal_Tricia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the community by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Login to Me Too

SamZak
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you, I understand now what is going on. How long does it usually take for the refund to go through?

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Tricia

Hi @SamZak

Great question! 

Once the bank transfer completes to PayPal, a refund is issued immediately. 

Thanks, 
PayPal_Tricia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the community by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.