Why did Paypal charge me (Buyer) a fee for receiving a refund as this has never happened before

BasalGanglia
Contributor
Contributor

I bought a Guitar and Amp from a Company using Paypal but later returned it. The company refunded me in Full but then Paypal took a Fee. This has never happened before as have bought an returned stuff in the past and never had anything deducted.  Is this something new with Paypal?

Also do they charge for transferring your Payal Balance into your bank account as a message pops up saying a fee may occur.

Thanks

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@BasalGanglia 

It depends on how the refund is issued.

PayPal no longer refunds the recipient their fee when issuing refunds. It’s been like that for a couple of years.

If seller issued refund in full from within the original transaction, then no fee is charged to you, the seller has to make up the difference in fees.

Some Sellers chooses to issue refund on amount they received minus PayPal’s fee then you won’t be refunded in full.

Some sellers may send a separate payment as goods and services as a refund, and you will be charged the PayPal fee to accept payment.

In some instances, PayPal may charge a fee:

https://www.paypal.com/uk/webapps/mpp/paypal-fees#statement-12

withdraw to local bank acct is free

withdraw to u.s. bank is 3.00%

withdraw to card has a fixed fee depending on currency

an additional currency conversion fee may apply if withdrawing a foreign currency for the above methods.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@BasalGanglia 

It depends on how the refund is issued.

PayPal no longer refunds the recipient their fee when issuing refunds. It’s been like that for a couple of years.

If seller issued refund in full from within the original transaction, then no fee is charged to you, the seller has to make up the difference in fees.

Some Sellers chooses to issue refund on amount they received minus PayPal’s fee then you won’t be refunded in full.

Some sellers may send a separate payment as goods and services as a refund, and you will be charged the PayPal fee to accept payment.

In some instances, PayPal may charge a fee:

https://www.paypal.com/uk/webapps/mpp/paypal-fees#statement-12

withdraw to local bank acct is free

withdraw to u.s. bank is 3.00%

withdraw to card has a fixed fee depending on currency

an additional currency conversion fee may apply if withdrawing a foreign currency for the above methods.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.