Why are Pay Pal fees so complicated!

D2T
Contributor
Contributor

I am based in the UK and want to understand what the fees will be for a simple same country transaction.
Invoice sent via link and paid by the user using credit card, the person may or may not have a Pay Pal account.
From the Merchant Fees Page we have the following:

Card funded payment from a user of our Terms for Payments without a PayPal account 1.20% + Fixed Fee
QR Code Transactions – 10.01 GBP and above 1.50% + Fixed Fee
QR code Transactions – 10.00 GBP and below 2.00% + Fixed Fee
All Other Commercial Transactions 2.90% + Fixed Fee

I can ignore the QR code as I am not using that, from the above am I right in assuming if the individual does not have a Pay Pal account the fee I will pay is 1.20% + Fixed Fee. However, If the individual has a Pay Pal account the fee will be 2.90% + Fixed Fee, this feels wrong to me but would like to understand if my assumption is right or wrong.

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

PayPalMichelleW

Hello @D2T,

That's a great question. Per the fees page, it does appear that a card funded payment from a user without a PayPal account is 1.20% + fixed fee. And it shows that all other commercial transactions are 2.90% + fixed fee. I hope this helps.

Thanks!

MichelleW

Login to Me Too

D2T
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for not confirming but just agreeing with my statement!

The reply "it does appear" is as vague as the fees page!

Can we have clear and simple fees with out all this "if" and "but".

Personally, I have moved away from Paypal to an other payment collection system as it is a simple x% + fixed feed per transaction! 

Login to Me Too

Ryan_A
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry to dig up an old post, but can I ask what payment platform you migrated to? Also I don't suppose you ever got a clearer answer than the one above? I'm wondering the same thing about the fees!

Login to Me Too

D2T
Contributor
Contributor

I moved to Stripe instead and no never received another response......

Login to Me Too

Ryan_A
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, I'll look into it 👍

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.