Trying to Send Money from a USA Paypal Account to A Canadian Paypal Account

Disappear720
Contributor
Contributor

I keep getting this message.

"From time to time, PayPal must review a payment more closely to ensure it complies with the established User Agreement and our global regulatory obligations. We identified a risk that prevents us from completing this payment. We apologize for the inconvenience."

I am in US and my friend is from Canada.

I use a US Paypal account and she uses a Canadian Paypal.

I am using my bank account as a method to send money and I have not had an issue sending people money before

She uses her credit card as her method of receiving money.

She just activated her paypal account today and I tried to send her some money but I keep getting this message over and over again.

I tried using CAD instead of USD to send her money but it still won't work, I get the same message as above. 

Can someone explain why there is an issue to send the money?

Is it because her account was just activated today?

Or is it because her account is linked to her credit card and the only way to make this work is she needs to use her Canadian Bank account(savings account/checking account) instead?

Or is there something we need to do to make this process work?

Thanks!

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Disappear720 

If you are sending funds NOT in her currency then she would have to add that currency as a receiving currency in her paypal wallet.

If not and you are sending CAD then make sure she has CAD listed as her primary currency in her paypal wallet.

Has she confirmed her email address as per link.

https://www.paypal.com/ca/smarthelp/article/how-do-i-confirm-my-email-address-faq1485?app=searchAuto...

She may have to verify her account although that is not always a requirement straight off.

https://www.paypal.com/ca/smarthelp/article/what-is-paypal's-account-verification-process-faq444?app...

Also to withdraw funds she would need to add a bank account, local or U.S or debit card (not credit card).

https://www.paypal.com/ca/smarthelp/article/how-can-i-withdraw-money-from-my-paypal-account-faq1189?...

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Disappear720
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, I have tried to send the money as CAD instead of USD but it still doesn't work.

Login to Me Too

Disappear720
Contributor
Contributor

And do you know if the local bank account you mentioned here can be Canadian bank account? She doesn't have any US banking or credit account.

She has Canadian bank account. 

Moreover, I am thinking the funds gets blocked is because she only linked her Canadian credit card account to the Canadian Paypal. The Canadian credit card account probably only allows her to make payments and not necessary receive funds from another paypal account or withdraw money.

I suspect in order for her to receive money from another paypal account and also withdraw money from her Canadian Paypal account, she probably need to add a regular Canadian bank account and linked it with her Canadian Paypal, instead of using the current Canadian credit card account as her primary transaction method.

Can you confirm my suspicion? Thanks.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Disappear720 

Did you read the links I posted?

Especially the one about verifying a Canadian paypal account?

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.